AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Rain Water??

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Default Re: Using Rain Water??

Sorry that is not a standard size for a filter. I only carry 10"

Scott, I see no need for banter; there are exceptions to everything encountered in life...Good luck on this venture, I'll stick with what has proven to work for me over time, and that's pretty much where we all seem to evolve in Discus keeping. Since we have only had 'running water' in this part of my state for twenty years, it is a precious commodity, and I'm working on reclaiming all that I throw away. Our septic systems can't handle an overly large amount of water without a lot of grief either..cheers, and hopefully we won't see you on the 'what's wrong with my Discus? threads..Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Real Name
    Rick

Its a bad idea IMO. Acid rain is the least of your worries. Fuel emissions, pesticides, and bacteria/parasite infested bird/rodent droppings are the real dangers here. Not to mention clay tile is semi porous, so just how long would you have to wait until you start collecting the water? If you wanted to set up a collection point and treat the water with Activated carbon and chlorine it might be doable, but at that point why bother?

An update..Reuter's posted this a.m. that low levels of radioactive iodine 131 has been detected in Mass. rainwater...so much for a college degree in rainwater,eh??..Discus with a third eye, coming up!
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

i would be worried about using rainwater.. no telling what is in this untreated water.. imho
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

In veterinary school a long long time ago we had a class about public health. I remember the prof saying that one foot of sand is enough to filter out all the bacteria etc. That is why we use ground water. On a side note he also said you can eat pus if you boil it long enough.

I have my doubts, but i would like to see you give it a go. If it works for your fish after a year's time, I'd try it myself. I have an electrostaticly "painted" metal roof.

This type of DIY project would be right up my alley. I need to install gutters anyway. It would be easy eough to divirt the first 1/2 hours worth to the ground, and would only involve getting wet to change it to go into the storage container. Plus, I already have 3 150 gallon water containers sitting in storage.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    There are too may contimates these days in rain water for it to be usable for Discus. Rain water picks up stuff when it falls. In a perfect world it would be pristine, but not in this world. Your roof is not the problem. It is what the rain picks up on it's way down

Shame...I would like to use it myself.
    Yeah theres way to many pollutants in the air that rain picks up now that i think over a term of time could be harmful to your fish. Acid rain=rain that picked up to much doodoo when falling

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Discus View Post
    In veterinary school a long long time ago we had a class about public health. I remember the prof saying that one foot of sand is enough to filter out all the bacteria etc. That is why we use ground water. On a side note he also said you can eat pus if you boil it long enough.
    HAHA.....that just made me hungry

Quote Originally Posted by DerekFF View Post
    Yeah theres way to many pollutants in the air that rain picks up now that i think over a term of time could be harmful to your fish. Acid rain=rain that picked up to much doodoo when falling
    hydrochloric acid is a CLEAR LIQUID>. but i still would not drink it or put it in my discus tank
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

OK folks,
    I found out more today. There are still lots of people who use cisterns for their drinking water, even people that I work with now have cisterns for their whole house water supply. I just think that there is no need to make it so difficult and expensive to own discus. Sure we are all proud of the fact that yes we can do it and we know how, and to have such gorgeous prestigious fish you must do this exactly. I think there is a much cheaper option here, common sense tells me it will work. In the wild they live in fresh water, which is "rain water". It's as simple as that. If there were no rain there would be nothing but salt water on this planet. So I guess you are all forcing me to be the guinea pig. It's only right I guess, I am the ONE who is believing it will work, so I guess I'll have to try it. I think it would be a far less chance for you who have thousands of fry to take a few to raise on rain water, but that's ok I will give it a shot. ...Scott

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    An update..Reuter's posted this a.m. that low levels of radioactive iodine 131 has been detected in Mass. rainwater...so much for a college degree in rainwater,eh??..Discus with a third eye, coming up!
    Scott's three eyed blue diamonds are flooding the market like rainwater. No need for tank lights because they are glowing so bright. Eat your heart out. lol ...Scott

Registered Member

http://www.enviro-friendly.com/first...diverter.shtml

People use rainwater here in aus for thier discus and cant say there are alot of problems. This device will help you with the crap on your roof mate. HTH

Hey Scott,

I manage a Golf Club and have a USGA Agronomist on staff, we survey rainwater regularly since we are in such a densely populated area for National Statistics, I would not use my rainwater to raise discus, or to raise any other animal...keep in mind that a rainstorm can travel hundreds of miles so you never know for sure where that water falling from the sky originated...I would protect my fish investment with safe water, if the cost is to high, then I honestly don't thik this is the hobby for you.

When it somes to providing for a pet, we need to take into consideration what's best for it, not what is most economical but that is just how I see it. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    Hey Scott,

I manage a Golf Club and have a USGA Agronomist on staff, we survey rainwater regularly since we are in such a densely populated area for National Statistics, I would not use my rainwater to raise discus, or to raise any other animal...keep in mind that a rainstorm can travel hundreds of miles so you never know for sure where that water falling from the sky originated...I would protect my fish investment with safe water, if the cost is to high, then I honestly don't thik this is the hobby for you.

When it somes to providing for a pet, we need to take into consideration what's best for it, not what is most economical but that is just how I see it. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Rodrigo
    Well Hot dog! Rodrigo! Thank you for joining in. It sounds as if you might have some legitimate data for us? Tell us why you wouldn't use rain water. Not only is it cost but like I said these fish live in rain water in the wild. Through our domesticating them we are giving them artificial rain, are we not? Rain is evaporated water, it has nothing in it. Yes it can pick up sulfur which will cause low ph (easily detected). Do you have data or proof that shows it picks up anything else? Sure it can pick up sediment or even poisons as someone stated on your roof. Other than that, do you have proof of anything else? Someone even said trace amounts of radio active iodine. But a 3 eyed glowing fish might be the hottest fish on the market. You said to take consideration in what is best for our pets, they live in rain water, we are trying to domesticate them with chemically treated tap water are we not? ...Scott

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast