ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bio media

Registered Member

Default Bio media

I have a new 210 that I will be setting up as a NPT with 8 to 12 discus to be added in after I am sure the tank is settled in and when the juvies I am growing out are ready. I will be running a sump on the tank with filter socks for the mechanical filtration but can't decide on what bio media. Adding a tray for wet/dry with bio balls would be a little extra work but I have plenty of bio balls just sitting around. On the otherhand I ran across "bio bullets" while on the jehmco site. Has anyone used them or have any other suggestions (ceramic rings, etc.)? Personally I would rather use a submerged material instead of the bio balls as a wet/dry in order to increase the volume of water in the sump and thus increase the volume of the system. Also, the sump is set up to overflow to a floor drain as I am contemplating setting it up as a continous wc system but have not decided that yet either.

below is the advertising for the "bio bullets" made by HiQ:

NEW - Bio-Bullets:
    Tank Clear pellets are a proprietary sintered glass biological media. Cylindrical bullet shaped pellets are 11/16” dia x ~ 7/8” long. This special media provides exceptional biological nitrification cycle activity in a concentrated footprint without the problems of clogging, sliming and by-pass of ceramic media. Negative buoyancy makes this excellent for use in air driven box filters or any HOB or canister filter.

Never needs replacing
    Effective in Aquarium, Filter, Sump or Refugium
    Clears cloudy water caused by impurities
    Reduces and stabilizes nitrate

Default Re: Bio media

I'm using SeaChem Matrix in my sump. It's recommended to use 1L per 100gal, and for my 65 gal tank w/ 20gal sump I have 2L, also with a filter sock. Pretty easy to find at any LFS too. I'm sure the sintered glass "bullets" would work tho. Be wary of any media that claims to "reduce nitrate" (even Matrix states this), the best way is still water changes.

May want to look at using kaldnes media. It is a moving bed media which self cleans and positive buoyant. Not a wet dry media. I am using it now and very happy. I am not at a computer but just google it. Aquatic eco systems has it. Great stuff.
    Kenny

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    May want to look at using kaldnes media. It is a moving bed media which self cleans and positive buoyant. Not a wet dry media. I am using it now and very happy. I am not at a computer but just google it. Aquatic eco systems has it. Great stuff.
    Kenny
    plus 1.... but I did find an off brand cheaper on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    plus 1.... but I did find an off brand cheaper on ebay
    If you could send a link. I searched for it on eBay with no luck. I am in need of more.
    Thanks Kenny

kenny it's been about a year , so I will have to look and see if I can still find it

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    Nice, seems to be the same media for $10 + cheaper. That is a win win. Thanks

yup this is what I have been using for a year. I may have bought two cuft, I dont remember. it will be a ton of those little suckers. I have never personally seen actual kaldness but these things are about the size of a small acorn. when I bought them I thought they would be larger for some reason. they do work great!!!

I am buying 2 today. They will be right next to the name brand kaldnes so we will see. I will let you know in a week. They take some time to flow when new. Good link. Thanks

Registered Member

Thanks guys for all the quick responses. I will be looking into the kaldnes as well as the knock off. acroken, if you have time please post back any initial comparison thoughts you have between the name brand and the knock off when it arrives.

Real Name
    Francis

Just sharing......moving bed filter using Kaldnes Media filter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxpBO...eature=related
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member Inland Empire Discus's Avatar

I also agree that the Kaldnes media is the best. Here are some prices that I can sell it for if anyone is interested.
    Kaldnes K1 Bulk box 25 litres $45
    Kaldnes K1 50 litres 1.8 cubic feet $88
    Kaldnes K3 50 litres 1.8 cubic feet $85
    Kaldnes Bio Chip Media 25 litres $120

Bill

Real Name
    Rick

Interesting seeing this stuff filter in to the home aquarium medium, I first read about it on Koi forums. So what's next, anyone care to build the first in house Bakki shower?

Rick

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Interesting seeing this stuff filter in to the home aquarium medium, I first read about it on Koi forums. So what's next, anyone care to build the first in house Bakki shower?

Rick
    I have a few different designs floating around for a home aquarium MBBR. Im surprised no one has commercially made them yet....

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast