ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 50-100 tank centralized recirc./ heating set up

Registered Member

Default 50-100 tank centralized recirc./ heating set up

Anybody have ideas about the ideal set up for between 50 and 75 tanks (approximately 6000 gallons) I have some ideas, but I want to know what has worked for others. I really like the idea of a really clean set up that is centralized. If anyone has any tips on centralized recirulation systems, brand names you trust for something on that scale, and the idea of using a greenhouse as a fish house I'd really appreciate it. I just think it would be cluttery to have 50 tanks set up on 50 individual systems. Maybe I'm wrong.

Default Re: 50-100 tank centralized recirc./ heating set up

I'm not sure there's an 'ideal' set-up that works for all situations...room layout, plumbing drainage, types of pumps and sumps, etc...I will contribute that Kens.Fish.com, a sponsor here, has a lot of the necessary equipment to get something going.....My lines have always had central sumps, bio filtration, and various heater combos inside the sump..I've run 40 to 80 in the past, but only have one line of a dozen up and running again at present..(no outlet for the fry where I now reside)...You do need to depend on heating the whole fishroom in most cases to make it practical, and that much heat generally causes grief somewhere in your home.).. In a perfect world, your fishroom(house) needs to be separate from where you live IMO...
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Registered Member

check out Hans' build and make yours a mini me of it. He has his pretty well down. Some one here can point you in the right direction of the diy thread.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    I'm not sure there's an 'ideal' set-up that works for all situations...room layout, plumbing drainage, types of pumps and sumps, etc...I will contribute that Kens.Fish.com, a sponsor here, has a lot of the necessary equipment to get something going.....My lines have always had central sumps, bio filtration, and various heater combos inside the sump..I've run 40 to 80 in the past, but only have one line of a dozen up and running again at present..(no outlet for the fry where I now reside)...You do need to depend on heating the whole fishroom in most cases to make it practical, and that much heat generally causes grief somewhere in your home.).. In a perfect world, your fishroom(house) needs to be separate from where you live IMO...
    Lot of different ways you could go with a system that size. Just depends on your end goal and how much work you want to do. Also have to becareful and make sure all the plumbing is properly sized and laid out. Otherwise it'll be more work and hassle than individual tanks! Same goes for all the basic filtration components (biofilter sized for the anticipated TAN load, etc).

Tell you what, send me an email: RyanKar@AquaticEco.com and we can go over your system in more detail. Or I can call you to discuss your goals for a system like that.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician