ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cherry red shrimp and discus?

Registered Member

Default Re: Cherry red shrimp and discus?

lol,Thought it may be a fishkeepers acronym for something

well irreguardless of the kind of filter you have, the more water movement you have, the better particles will get filtered out. If the best filter in the world can only circulate water in part of the tank and theres some slower water areas, or dead space then the debris will settle there and your filter wont get it back until it gets kicked up again into the water column where it can pull it out. Not sure what kinda tank set up you have but obv you have some wood in there as you said. Shrimp dont eat algae off the glass....and theyre still gonna poo out w/e they eat in so they wont really "clean' then particles in the tank since shrimp poo is....well....particles lol. So i guess my advice would be to make sure you have good water movement so that whatever filter you do have can work as best it can. BNP and RCS are clean up crews but clean up crews are just clean up hiders really.

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Well I would have to disagree with this statement. The '05's series of fluvals (205,305,405) are mediocre filters at best. They do a good job with biological filtering but are, in my opinion, lousy at water polishing. The fx5 is a different story and a different beast. The reason for this (the 05's being bad at water polishing) is they have way too much engineered bypass.
    So you think the Whisper, Plecos, or Sponge filter had the greater impact than the Fluval 405?
    Eric

Aside from thread-drift, I have a tankful of Crystal Red Shrimp side by side with a community fish tank. I find it interesting to see how the shrimp hang on the side that abutts the fish, and basically 'tease' the fish..The fish hang on that side trying to figure out how to get to that fine looking dinner!...
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Registered Member

I had a thriving and multiplying community of RCS in my heavily planted tank prior to adding my discus. And then, there were none . I would also add a warning about the bristle nose plecos - I would only add them to a glass aquarium. Mine absolutely destroyed the clarity of my acrylic tank.

Check out the before and after shots of the damage the plecos did to the front pane on my tank. Both of these shots are looking through the left side of the tank.

Before adding the bristle nose...

After adding the bristle nose...
    Last edited by Silent Running; 04-12-2011 at 10:22 AM.
    "I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123