AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Planted discus aquarium

Registered Member dadecountyalan's Avatar

Default Planted discus aquarium

just wanted to know what you guys think of my old tank as im going to start setting up a display tank for the current juvies i have and im looking for ideas.

this is the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHuIRCatL4g

any opinions and advice on the setup would be appreciated.

Default Re: Planted discus aquarium

What size tank are you setting up, Alan, and how many juvies are going in ? - All of those shown in your video ?
    Couldn't count them.
    Just my preference perhaps, but I would think about doing a less "busy" new tank for the discus - you have a lot of fast- moving dithers in the tank video'd.
    An elegant, peaceful tank set-up with PFS, some driftwood or manzanita, and a few well-selected plantings would look great imo. There's a very nice set-up elsewhere on the forum. I'll try to find it and point it out to you.
    Can't recall the poster.

Registered Member dadecountyalan's Avatar

this is a old tank. i have none of those fish with me now. i have 5 juvies growing out in a barebottom 55g at the moment. the tank im setting up is also a 55g just going threw a few different ideas and looks right now before i get started. thats why im asking for ideas.

and what do you mean by pfs

Here it is, Alan - right here in this Planted Tank section.
    You may already have seen it.
    It's titled: "Finally ! My new 80g tank for wilds is ready...." by DiscusBR of Rio de Janeiro. - His first post on page 1. Have a look at the tank on utube.
    IMO this will be a super, classic but dramatic looking tank. Why don't you think about something like that. I sure am.

Quote Originally Posted by dadecountyalan View Post
    this is a old tank. i have none of those fish with me now. i have 5 juvies growing out in a barebottom 55g at the moment. the tank im setting up is also a 55g just going threw a few different ideas and looks right now before i get started. thats why im asking for ideas.

and what do you mean by pfs
    Pool filter sand.

BTW Alan - it looks like you had PFS in your old tank - or something like that.
    I've been using it for a long time and love it - easy to vac & keep clean, and grows plants nicely with root tabs & other ferts. In case you haven't seen it before, have a look at my discus tank - pics taken a couple of months ago before I added a second strain of discus.
    http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...l/FTS-Osaka260