ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Actually, I am going back to discus! :) And i have some questions

Registered Member

Default Actually, I am going back to discus! :) And i have some questions

Hi people I am actually going back to discus! Well sort of... I am going to only do German discus because they are easier to keep. Does anyone do once a month water changes or like every 3 weeks? Because some people told me its ok to do once a month water changes on the discus from discus hans usa and a pet store has done it for years and never had problems. Actually i saw there display tank and they had some of the most beautiful discus i have ever seen! And they get them from discus hans usa. Does anyone else do this? Thanks
    keeper of the fresh

Default Re: Actually, I am going back to discus! :) And i have some questions

Quote Originally Posted by mattsoccer20 View Post
    Hi people I am actually going back to discus! Well sort of... I am going to only do German discus because they are easier to keep. Does anyone do once a month water changes or like every 3 weeks? Because some people told me its ok to do once a month water changes on the discus from discus hans usa and a pet store has done it for years and never had problems. Actually i saw there display tank and they had some of the most beautiful discus i have ever seen! And they get them from discus hans usa. Does anyone else do this? Thanks
    I think the people who do once a month WC are those with adult discus, low bio-load (big tank) and planted. My planted tank had 0/0/0 on the nitrogen and I had to dose it to feed the plants.
    Eric

Real Name
    Francis

Better look into water chemistry............my tanks are over filtered and forced myself to do W/C daily......my 2 cents.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...al/index.shtml
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

no discus are bullet proof and this is going to be a recipe for disaster!!!!! also mat it is bad form on the forum to continue saying that the germans are "easier to keep" any discus WILL WILL WILL get sick if not properly cared for!!!!!

matt.. you are all over the internet, you are asking for discus, angel fish and killifish.. at different fish sites.. you should probably decide on what you want.. and also.. you should probably keep your email private.. you would not want webcrawlers or B0ts taking it and SPAMMING you.. also, maybe you should be asking for fish on RUSSIAN WEBSITES! lol.. just a little FYI
    Last edited by Skip; 04-08-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Matt, what Skip said, in spades!....you are very young, and showing it!..For all of the posts you made here, you took a dodge when it sounded like a lot of work. Well, it is!..Your renewed interest is fine, but not because all of a sudden, some info from a LFS makes it sound 'easy'....Focus, man, focus....
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Well Hans himself can attest to German Discus getting sick He had to cull his entire fish house of german discus! So dont for one minute think any discus is bullet proof!
    Dave Z!
    NADA MEMBER
    Visit my homesteader page http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...hiladelphia-PA

Quote Originally Posted by ockyra215 View Post
    Well Hans himself can attest to German Discus getting sick He had to cull his entire fish house of german discus! So dont for one minute think any discus is bullet proof!
    Definitely a '+1'!
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ockyra215 View Post
    Oh I wasnt going to go there

I think he gets it

Matt, this isn't expert advice on discus, just life advice in general. Don't completely trust and buy-in that the LFS is telling you the 100% truth for things it's selling. IMO, the reason Hans discus has a reputation for not getting sick is probably due to the fact he provides healthy stock to start with (and in his massive cull he demonstrated he doesn't take chances and errs on the side of caution). So regardless of origins, a healthy specimen is more likely to resist toxins and disease to begin with. Poor care will negate that advantage over time. Do you know how long your LFS has kept those discus? Also, I think many people claim to see "beautiful fish" only to find out that the general discus community doesn't agree with them.

With that said, I don't think anyone isn't saying you can't keep -ANY- discus in a tank with WC once a month, they're just stating it's -BETTER- for the fish to do it more often. There are plenty of people keeping adult discus in planted tanks and doing few WCs. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do regular water checks. Start with doing them daily, then once you are confident in your tank, move to doing it weekly to bi-weekly. That will give you an idea of how often you should do WCs.

IM(not a discus expert)O.
    Eric

Registered Member

Ok wow that was allot to read. I all over because i have allot of fish tanks. And i know discus are bullet proof but i have been told all the time that discus hans are a little better when it comes to water. And the reason discus hans had to kill his fish was because he got some Asian discus in and they had got his fish sick. Well thats what i was told by hans and preuss pets. And i am willing to care for discus good i was asking about the water changes and the German discus was because i go on vacation allot and i have always wanted to keep discus and i wanted to know so i dont come home with dead discus! So sorry if sounded like i was saying German are better or anything i just want to make sure i dont mess up and if i can do monthly water changes instead of usual. So I am probably going to do every other week water changes or every week.
    keeper of the fresh

Registered Member

I meant to say i know there NOT bullet proof
    keeper of the fresh

Quote Originally Posted by mattsoccer20 View Post
    Ok wow that was allot to read. I all over because i have allot of fish tanks. And i know discus are bullet proof but i have been told all the time that discus hans are a little better when it comes to water. And the reason discus hans had to kill his fish was because he got some Asian discus in and they had got his fish sick. Well thats what i was told by hans and preuss pets. And i am willing to care for discus good i was asking about the water changes and the German discus was because i go on vacation allot and i have always wanted to keep discus and i wanted to know so i dont come home with dead discus! So sorry if sounded like i was saying German are better or anything i just want to make sure i dont mess up and if i can do monthly water changes instead of usual. So I am probably going to do every other week water changes or every week.
    What? Hans told you that he got Asian discus in his fish house and it got his fish sick? Let's not start a rumor about Asian discus getting German discus sick.

Registered Member

Alright i wont thats, what i was told by pet stores and stuff.
    keeper of the fresh

Registered Member

Oh are mike beals discus as good as discus hans as in handling water? Because i love mikes leopards and peng eruptions.
    keeper of the fresh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast