ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Actually, I am going back to discus! :) And i have some questions

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Default Re: Actually, I am going back to discus! :) And i have some questions

I think the local fish store is feeding you a big load of crap!!!!! Do yourself a big favour and DONT LISTEN to them!!!!

Registered Member

Ok. Do you own Asian discus? Because i want a spotted one really bad from like mike beals or kenny.
    keeper of the fresh

Quote Originally Posted by mattsoccer20 View Post
    And the reason discus hans had to kill his fish was because he got some Asian discus in and they had got his fish sick. Well thats what i was told by hans and preuss pets.
    Matt, Be Careful, Be Very Careful. this type of stuff can get you in serious trouble.

Oh are mike beals discus as good as discus hans as in handling water? Because i love mikes leopards and peng eruptions.
    Mike Beals has Very nice Fish!

Chad
    Proud Host of the best Discus show ever in North America because of the people who came!!
    NADA Show Convention Atlanta 2012
    Member of SouthEast Discus Enthusiasts
    North American Discus Association Board Member

Registered Member

Oh i did not mean it that way to get me in trouble. And mike beals fish are VERY pretty, i know i went to his house a few months ago. But are they hardy when it comes to water? I know almost all discus are picky about they're water but some are better then others. Is mikes a better one? Thanks
    keeper of the fresh

German fish might be more forgiving on water hardness and pH because they were raised in hard water. The asian fish I got from Kenny settle in the rock hard water of Wisconsin very fast as well. Now I use untreated tap water and no problem at all, and I assume it should be the same with Mike's fish...Discus do always need clean water to thrive no matter if they are from earth, Jupiter or Mars. WC once a month is only possible if there is a well-established giant filtering system, which also takes time and expertise to build. Or maybe they just got adult discus at low density, and do not feed them at all, and don't really care if they fish are doing really well or just OK.

xiaofei

Registered Member

Ok how often do you do water changes? Oh they do once an month and they have just like a normal filter and they have little ones as well as almost full size. So i dont know how they do it then. Thanks
    keeper of the fresh

Real Name
    Ralph

Hey Matt,

I think this has gone far enough.
    whether you like Mike Beals Fish or Forrest Fish or Hans Fish....it's best not to compare on this forum what you have heard from others including LFS.
    It's best you contact the sellers/breeders if you like something in particular.
    If you travel quite often...then learning about Discus at this point would not be wise for you and the Discus IMO.
    If you are young...enjoy life/travel as the Discus will always be there.
    The thought of water changes once a month..."I don't think so"
    Just my 2 cents Matt,

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

Ok i was just wondering about the once a month because i never heard of someone doing it. And i just dont want to waste my money on discus that are going to die or i would have to watch because if i dont they'll die. And i was not trying to compare things but i did type it that way though now that i look. i was trying to see if the things i heard was true. So the once a month water changes is a no. So ill make time for once a week or every other week water changes because discus are my dream fish. im not kidding i sometimes dream about them haha. So thanks for all the help people. But i just went to a store a few minutes ago and they said ( just like the other stores) that Asian discus get dieses and die and kill other fish? I dont know who to belive because i dont want to waste my money! So im really confused. Can someone tell me what to do and then ill be happy. Thanks
    keeper of the fresh

Real Name
    Ralph

Matt,

Everyone here at Simply are here to help.
    My opinion is that you sound very confused and Discus right now may not be your cup of tea. There is nothing wrong with asking questions but as soon as someone else tells you different....like LFS your mind changes again.
    Whether it's ASIAN or GERMAN DISCUS, anyone Discus will only thrive with the knowledge of the keeper.
    I have asian, german, wilds. In my mind they are all perfect.
    As I said before, read-read and read more before you attempt to keep any Discus.
    So.....do we have your promise to never spread rumors and never compare Asian and German Discus.

...Ralph
    Last edited by Altum Nut; 04-08-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Ok i was just wondering about the once a month because i never heard of someone doing it. And i just dont want to waste my money on discus that are going to die or i would have to watch because if i dont they'll die. And i was not trying to compare things but i did type it that way though now that i look. i was trying to see if the things i heard was true. So the once a month water changes is a no. So ill make time for once a week or every other week water changes because discus are my dream fish. im not kidding i sometimes dream about them haha. So thanks for all the help people. But i just went to a store a few minutes ago and they said ( just like the other stores) that Asian discus get dieses and die and kill other fish? I dont know who to belive because i dont want to waste my money! So im really confused. Can someone tell me what to do and then ill be happy. Thanks
    Stay away from discus. You are not ready for them. If you still want discus.. don't bother reading any more of the countless post about buying/keeping discus on this forum. Just go to your local fish store and do what they tell you. Seems like that is the only way you are going to learn.

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

buy angelfish

Registered Member

No i think i belive you guys more and i really want discus. I just like more then one person to tell me. Oh and i promise i wont spread roomers. So i think i was wrong about discus. i thought some were better then others, but i was wrong all are good. And i am ready for discus. Thanks for the help if i have more questions ill post. Discus here i come
    keeper of the fresh

And i am ready for discus. Thanks for the help if i have more questions ill post. Discus here i come
    In Nomini Patri, Et Fili, Et Spiritu Sanctie

Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Mike uses tap water and in ohio it's pretty hard. I don't know exact water parameters but you can either contact him or google the Columbus/Galena water report.
    Eric

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    In Nomini Patri, Et Fili, Et Spiritu Sanctie

Skip, you are too much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast