AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Scare the discus

Registered Member

Default Scare the discus

It's been two months since I had my discus in my planted 100 g and they are still scare of me. Sometime some little movement will make them slam to the wall. I read a news post saying keep scaring them until they get used to it. I am just wondering if it's gonna work.

Default Re: Scare the discus

Quote Originally Posted by gklgkl View Post
    It's been two months since I had my discus in my planted 100 g and they are still scare of me. Sometime some little movement will make them slam to the wall. I read a news post saying keep scaring them until they get used to it. I am just wondering if it's gonna work.
    2 months and scared is not a good deal. How many do you have? What size? Any other fish? Can you provide pictures of the fish?

Its not so much that you want to scare them so they get used to it, its about not changing YOUR routine to keep them from being scared. You want to move about the tank and allow them to get used to you.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

i have some 6 discus...2 of them is laying eggs on the other end, 12 neon tetra, some guppy. attached couple pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

More than likely the pair is stressing the others out.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Finally I get it..... Feed live blackworm....they are following me now

Registered Member

i used to have that dracaena plant too when i used to have angelfish but i read those aernt supposed to be submersed under the water and that they will survive for about 6 months or so but will eventually die... not 100% if thats true but just a heads up

Registered Member

Dracanea plants should be removed asap, as they cant survive under water.

Registered Member

I had mines for 3 months and at times they get freaked out when I step close to the tank.

What needs to be done is more maintenance. If they see ur hand in there they won't be scared. Ever since i got my little ones i been doing maintenance every day. At first they were scared. By the 5th day they will always come to my hand to see if i have food even though theres a big black tube in there. And now its just follow my hand so i do my maintenance at a turtle pace. Kind of annoying because if i need to siphon an area they'll just stick around there and not move.

Hand feeding helps too after they are use to ur hand. Then they'll eventually associate Person= Hand=good thing = FOOD.
    -Kevin

40 Breeder Growout Tank-3 TRSG, 2 Red TQ, 2 Red SS

Registered Member

I think they now associate me = live black worm. I have had them for couple months and they were scare of me every time I come close to the tank. Mostly I fed them frozen blood worm and they were doing just so-so. Some didn't even want to come out and eat. Last week I decided to try some live black worm...I couldn't believe how drastic their behavior changed. Now every time I walk by the tank, they are all actively swimming to me begging for food. And I agree we must hand feed them. I wonder what will happen if I switch back to frozen blood worm...such a fun hobby

yep! where u get live blackworm? do you culture ur own? they should be fine with the frozen bloodworm again if you tried again. They just needed to associate you with equal good thing first.
    -Kevin

40 Breeder Growout Tank-3 TRSG, 2 Red TQ, 2 Red SS

seriously, these discus are good at training their humans....)))mike