ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beef Heart Sticker shock?

Default Re: Beef Heart Sticker shock?

I haven't bought any in a long time, but double the price? No, I ain't buying the fuel story either. At least he could have been honest about it, saying that he needed to get more money for it. Treating someone like they are stupid just makes them angry.
    Darrell

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Been called alot of things

what are you guys going to if you don't use BH?

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

1.99/lb fresh veal heart atlanta. I mostly use eye of round though because its more available. the heart comes not cleaned

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdad View Post
    Beef hearts are getting harder for me to get in quantity by me, so I may try the ground beef route...Bill

Sounds like you need to checkout a new butcher Al, he's trying to come over on you. Might as well start using fillet mignon. LOL
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Al, what did you pay for your BH?

I think I'm going to look for a new place too...
    Eric

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

I talked to my beefheart butcher a few weeks ago and he warned me prices took a big jump. They're now $1.19 lb. rather than $.99.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member

I buy my beefheart from Walmart (in Mininesota) for about 3$/lb. It was already cleaned and sliced.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee View Post
    I buy my beefheart from Walmart (in Mininesota) for about 3$/lb. It was already cleaned and sliced.
    Walmart? Did you have to specially request it or do they normally stock it?
    Eric

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback and thoughts here.

I was buying the BH out here for $1.20 lb CLEANED .. I just had to do some minor trimming....all the major fats were removed.. and I buy 70 or more pounds at a time.....so it was a good deal for me.. last order They worked a deal where if I took the BH from them from a new supplier..one that cuts the BH into chunks and vacuum packs them that they would give me them for $1.05 lb since they don't have to trim it...So I went with it...I have more work to do on them to clean them up and I don't really like the way they cut it...harder for me to trim .....but it worked out okay. This was 2 months ago.

So I reordered earlier this week... same packing as last order...and thats when I got sticker shock.. $1.99 lb for 70+ lbs... Now I know that some here pay more...but I've never seen it more than $1.20 out here... Now I get hit with $1.99 when it was $1.05 ..and I have a ton of work ahead of me to clean it...I'm a real stickler about that. I do think its time to find a new supplier.

Over the last year I already switched one of my two feedings of Beefheart to Freeze dried Blackworms.... I'm leaning towards starting up my red wiggler cultures again and feed these at least every other day alternating with the BH mix.

Making my surf and turf mix is definetly getting expensive...

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Let me know if you'd like me to send you a starter culture on the worms, Al. I'd be happy to.

Try the ground turkey breast just once. $4.99 sounds expensive for 20 oz's but there is absolutely no labor involved and there is 0 waste. It is readily available at every grocery store. I'm sold on the stuff, but nobody else seems interested in giving it a try. As you have seen, I've raised some nice fish using it as my main food.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Let me know if you'd like me to send you a starter culture on the worms, Al. I'd be happy to.

Try the ground turkey breast just once. $4.99 sounds expensive for 20 oz's but there is absolutely no labor involved and there is 0 waste. It is readily available at every grocery store. I'm sold on the stuff, but nobody else seems interested in giving it a try. As you have seen, I've raised some nice fish using it as my main food.
    Liz, can you suggest an online supplier for red wiggler cultures. I would like to try this too.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Liz.....I will try out the minced turkey breast this week.......being lazy just turkey(40%),prawns(60%),calcium citrate & Pro More.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post

Grasshopper
    Francis

I use to buy beef heart along time ago, my butcher priced me at $4.29 a lb, so I switched to lean ground beef, since it's already ground and cleaned. I was my butcher's only customer for BH you'd think he'd cut me some slack.. Jim

Registered Member

Yes, I bought it at Walmart - one of the super ones that have a huge grocery section. I was shocked too since I couldn't buy it at the local chain grocery store or butcher, and here it is at Walmart, all cleaned and sliced and fresh, not frozen.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast