AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Direct from tap to tank...

Registered Member

Default Direct from tap to tank...

For the past year and a half, I have been doing water changes directly from my tap into my tank, only adding prime as I put the water in (I don't have the space for a barrel to age water). So far this hasn't created any problems; I've kept discus successfully for a year and a half using this method (and even had one laying eggs a few weeks ago).

Aside from adding Prime, does anyone have any other suggestions on how I should treat the water?

Also, I am thinking of adding Peat to a breeding tank I just setup. I know that peat will change the Ph, which I'm reluctant to mess with. Since I do water changes directly from the tap, would it be stupid to add Peat, as the Ph may constantly be changing?

Thanks for any and all advice

Registered Member

Default Re: Direct from tap to tank...

All my growouts get straight water from the tap with SAFE added to it, with no problems. For your breeding set-up, it's best you find space for a small barrel or extra tank. Mix the breeding water in those first, however you want/can... BEFORE it goes in your breeding tank with your pair(s)...Bill

Registered Member

Hello -

I was wondering about the same thing ('can I add direct from the tap') when I found this thread. I am thinking about going for discus, largley because it gets really hot here in Denver and we don't have aircon so the tank is about 85 all summer! But, I am hoping not to get into too much RO/aging, etc if I don't have to.

My Denver city was is ph 6.5 out of the tap but after a day of offgassing CO2 it goes to about 7.3. Right now my tank is planted and I inject CO2, which keeps the ph at around 5.8. My hardness is around 5dgh/5kh.

I am thinking about replacing some of the plants with plants that will do better in a warm tank, setting the heater for about 83, and going for discus. It's a beautiful corner bowfront, 54 gallons.

So, my question is: would it be reasonable to try and do water changes right form the tap under these conditions? I could up the CO2 so that the tank is at about 6.3 ph and the plants would still be happy, and I think when I do a water change the ph wouldn't swing that much. It would actually swing much more if I aged the water!

Does this sound like a potentially good environment for discus?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
    So, my question is: would it be reasonable to try and do water changes right form the tap under these conditions? I could up the CO2 so that the tank is at about 6.3 ph and the plants would still be happy, and I think when I do a water change the ph wouldn't swing that much. It would actually swing much more if I aged the water!

Does this sound like a potentially good environment for discus?

thanks!
    Lots of people here do it. I do it... Just make sure you keep the water at the same temperature. I usually start off a little warm (no more than a couple of degrees Fahrenheit) and work my way down. The first few times, if I were you, I would probably start it off with a thermometer before filling it. I can usually do it by touch now, pretty spot on, but I also have valves that help me do this ... Once I get it at the right temperature, I shoot to let the water enter about 1-2 degrees below. Why? Because I like to think it simulates rainfall. Not sure what the others think of this, but it seems reasonable to me

Just make sure you use dechlor.

I'm not sure I understand the CO2 part of your question? You're artificially lowering the pH with CO2?

Also, if your pH swings, that might be a problem. How much does it swing? The key and requirement to changing water from the tap is that the water is still stable.
    Eric

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post
    Lots of people here do it. I do it... Just make sure you keep the water at the same temperature. I usually start off a little warm (no more than a couple of degrees Fahrenheit) and work my way down. The first few times, if I were you, I would probably start it off with a thermometer before filling it. I can usually do it by touch now, pretty spot on, but I also have valves that help me do this ... Once I get it at the right temperature, I shoot to let the water enter about 1-2 degrees below. Why? Because I like to think it simulates rainfall. Not sure what the others think of this, but it seems reasonable to me

Just make sure you use dechlor.

I'm not sure I understand the CO2 part of your question? You're artificially lowering the pH with CO2?

Also, if your pH swings, that might be a problem. How much does it swing? The key and requirement to changing water from the tap is that the water is still stable.
    Do you ordinarily just adjust the temperature of the water using the faucet? I think if I used a thermometer I could probably get pretty close. These days I just let the cold water cool the tank cause the shrimp in my planted tank love that. I always put Prime in first.

And yes, the CO2 lowers the ph of the water. I use a ph controller to maintain an exact ph in the tank using CO2. When I change the water, it usually jumps from 5.9 to around 6.4 then the CO2 lowers the ph within a few hours. Good for planted tank, maybe not for discus. I have also learned that ph swings from CO2 aren't the same as some other ph related events, but I'm not that clear on why.

Aging the water seems like a PITA and I don't really have a convenient way to do that so I'm hoping to avoid it.

If you fill the tank with tap water, does the ph change as the CO2 from the tap offgasses?

Do you ordinarily just adjust the temperature of the water using the faucet? I think if I used a thermometer I could probably get pretty close. These days I just let the cold water cool the tank cause the shrimp in my planted tank love that. I always put Prime in first.
    Yes, but you want to be careful with the temperature difference. I don't know how it goes with shrimp.

If you fill the tank with tap water, does the ph change as the CO2 from the tap offgasses?
    Not for me, for some people. If the swing is big, you should age your water. I don't know what is too big. I don't really check pH any more, but when I did, it was pretty consistent around 7.
    Eric

I'd keep an eye on your tds, and keep it close to the same..JMO, Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

my tank has only been set up for a short while but ive been doing my water changes from a python type system straight from the tap. i use my hand to test the temp before i start putting back into tank. i add the dechlor as soon as i start to the tank. so far so good. im doing only 1/4 volume at a time but do this daily, every day no skipping. i gravel vac every other day as well. good luck. walt.

I have been using tap water and Prime wc's for my wilds for close to 18 months without any problems. I keep my tank on the cooler side (83) and just feel with my hand.

Registered Member

Not all tap water is the same chemistry some are really hard than others. It's knowing what is coming out and if you are comfortable using it and seeing how your fish are reacting to it. For me I am using tap water that is hard(10 gh ) and ph is high(around 8) and my fish are ok with it they eat and swim also still curious. I will only be doing this until I get my ro unit.