AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150 cardinals is equivalent to how many adult discus

Registered Member

Default 150 cardinals is equivalent to how many adult discus

I have a stocking question. I am planning to add 150 adult cardinal tetras to my tank (225 gallon) which already has 5 adult discus and 6 small BN pleco. My question is simple. I just wanted to know how many adult discus would equal 150 cardinal tetras? Not in terms of money but with respect to fishes that can thrive in this size tank. I am looking forward to add few more adult discus in future but would like to figure out the number first.

I change 20% water every other day and if time permits, I change 10% every day. Not this this would make a big difference but just in case if someone might ask.

Default Re: 150 cardinals is equivalent to how many adult discus

I once saw an artical that said 5 to 7 tetras equal 1 adult discus. I hope this helps?

Where are you able to purchase that many tetras? I was looking for about 25 jumbo neons.
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Registered Member

OMG. If thats the case, I am screwed. I just placed the order for 150 tetras. I guess I may have to sell some if your math is right.

LFS, but I am getting a good deal as I am buying in bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    I once saw an artical that said 5 to 7 tetras equal 1 adult discus. I hope this helps?

Where are you able to purchase that many tetras? I was looking for about 25 jumbo neons.

150 cardinals is a lot of tetras, even for a 225 gal tank, if you already have 5 adult discus and are planning to add more! (along with the 6 plecos). Reduce the tetra number to at least half that amount, and then you could think about adding a few more discus.

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    150 cardinals is a lot of tetras, even for a 225 gal tank, if you already have 5 adult discus and are planning to add more! (along with the 6 plecos). Reduce the tetra number to at least half that amount, and then you could think about adding a few more discus.
    Okay now I probably get my a$$ kicked but we put 400 Jumbo's in a 65 gallon.

The group I had in my 200 gallon was about 200 with the Discus.

Now what size do you get your Cardinals, most of the time when you buy 150 in a few days/week, you've about a 40~50 left lol lol (or NOT lol)

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Hans View Post

Now what size do you get your Cardinals, most of the time when you buy 150 in a few days/week, you've about a 40~50 left lol lol (or NOT lol)

Hans
    Yup. I have at one point around 120 cardinals and 30 rummies along with many other fish in my 265. 150 cardinals in 225 would be fine.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Hans
    I like your last paragraph, Hans, that's quite true, and that's exactly what I mean by the need to reduce the number.
    As for putting 400 Jumbos in a 65 gallon, I suspect that was a BB tank, and you were selling them off quickly. Same for the 200 fish in a 200 gallon with discus. You do have a fish sales outlet, don't you, Hans ? LOL
    If we're talking about hobby fish-keeping on a full time, long term basis, let's compare apples to apples, ok? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    Yup. I have at one point around 120 cardinals and 30 rummies along with many other fish in my 265. 150 cardinals in 225 would be fine.
    Yeah, granted, 150 cardinals in a 225 is fine - agree - but perhaps not along with 6-12 discus, a bunch of plecos, and who knows what else ? I for one sure as h... wouldn't do it.

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

If they are already on the way and you can not reduce the number why don't you put them in and just monitor your parameters to get an idea if the fish load is too much. If so increase water change amounts to fit. Then when the number adjusts down as Hans noted to the strong ones you will have just enough. Then we can see with actual data if it is too much fish load.

Registered Member

I really hope I dont lose a lot of fishes like Hans mentioned . In the past I have had good success with Cardinals until few wild discus attacked a bunch small cardinals. Will watch out on the parameters and make necessary water change. I have 5 Wild discus now and I hope to add another 5 in another 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Discus View Post
    If they are already on the way and you can not reduce the number why don't you put them in and just monitor your parameters to get an idea if the fish load is too much. If so increase water change amounts to fit. Then when the number adjusts down as Hans noted to the strong ones you will have just enough. Then we can see with actual data if it is too much fish load.

I had pretty good luck with cardinals. I just lost my last one of a group of 20 that I bought together 2 years ago. There are no bodies, they just disappeared, Hmmmm.

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Discus View Post
    There are no bodies, they just disappeared, Hmmmm.
    Hmmmmmm now why do I have to think about ex-wives when I read this........... lol

Understand me well, I've a good relation with my ex wife.

But it was the first thing that popped up in my mind when I saw this lol lol

Do I need help????? lol lol lol

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Hans I think I will let this one go.

Registered Member

BTW, size of the cardinal is 1+ inch

Hans

I think you have to look at biomass and what is reasonable. A full grown discus is what, a pound? 7 cardinals is nowhere near a pound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast