ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 150 cardinals is equivalent to how many adult discus

Default Re: 150 cardinals is equivalent to how many adult discus

Hello Hans, are you planning on stocking more cardinals soon?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
    I once saw an artical that said 5 to 7 tetras equal 1 adult discus. I hope this helps?

Where are you able to purchase that many tetras? I was looking for about 25 jumbo neons.
    Just check out my website as I usually have some nice farm and tank raised neon tetra's. I've got about 200 left right now. I fatten them up for a month before I start shipping so they've been eating lots and lots of baby brine! I usually get 1000 at a time, and if I lose 10 that's a lot. these are over 3cm right now...

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
    I think you have to look at biomass and what is reasonable. A full grown discus is what, a pound? 7 cardinals is nowhere near a pound.
    I don't think it's to do with the fishes 'mass'.... More like the bio-load of the fish- how much waste it produces... I'd say 6-7 cardinal tetras may produce as much waste as an adult discus in one day.... More or less.

Regardless.... 150 cardinals is going to look niiiiiiiiice!!! Lol I want pictures when they come in! If you keep up on WC's I think you'll be fine! Lol
    Melissa

Just be yourself. The people who matter, won't mind.
    And the people who mind, won't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusMama View Post
    I don't think it's to do with the fishes 'mass'.... More like the bio-load of the fish- how much waste it produces... I'd say 6-7 cardinal tetras may produce as much waste as an adult discus in one day.... More or less.
    Simple experiment would prove this to be erroneous. Put 7 cardinals in a 10 gallon. Do the same with a full grown discus. Feed 3 times in one day and then measure the nitrates in the tank. In your scenario, the nitrates would be higher in the cardinal tank....somehow, I can't see this happening. If this were true, everyone on Simply is wasting all their water doing all those water changes.

That would be an interesting experiment indeed. I think we are both speculating the outcome of such an experiment before its actually done. A lot of variables go into a discussion like this and I think one big issue is how much you feed.... In such an experiment I would predict the nitrate levels would be about the same.
    Take a gold fish for example though.... Aren't they known for producing more waste and being dirty fish even though they're small? I think we are both guessing here and nobody can know for sure unless we perform that experiment you we're referring to.

It also wouldn't make sense that the results of that experiment would be wildly different either... Just sayin.
    I still think 6-7 cardinals would produce the same amount or around the same amount of waste one adult discus can in one day....

I think what you were originally talking about- the bio-mass thing.... Is relevant as far as establishing a base line energy requirement to simply sustain the fish, but then you have to account for the fishes activity level.
    Last edited by Melissa; 04-23-2011 at 01:23 AM.
    Melissa

Take a gold fish for example though.... Aren't they known for producing more waste and being dirty fish even though they're small? I think we are both guessing here and nobody can know for sure unless we perform that experiment you we're referring to.
    Um... No. Googling will show you 3 lb goldfish.

And I'm talking basic conservation of energy. I cannot imagine 7 cardinals eating as much as a discus. I have both. If you have both, you would see what I mean. I have 60 tetras in my cube and 6 discus and I can tell you the tetras don't even eat half of what my discus eat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
    Um... No. Googling will show you 3 lb goldfish.

And I'm talking basic conservation of energy. I cannot imagine 7 cardinals eating as much as a discus. I have both. If you have both, you would see what I mean. I have 60 tetras in my cube and 6 discus and I can tell you the tetras don't even eat half of what my discus eat.
    Googling will show me 3lb Goldfish.....what? It seems like an incomplete sentence.... I'm aware goldfish get big. But the smaller ones are dirty little things too! Lol

Sorry to disagree. I do have a large group of cardinals as well as discus and I can tell ya they eat quite a bit but that could be because Chad Hughes beef heart mix is just at damn good LOL!
    It comes down to energy consumption, calories in, calories out. Tetras are fast and very active, discus- not so much.

I still think 6-7 cardinals would produce the same amount or around the same amount of waste one adult discus can in one day....

I think what you were originally talking about- the bio-mass thing.... Is relevant as far as establishing a base line energy requirement to simply sustain the fish, but then you have to account for the fishes activity level.
    Melissa

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by mteel7237 View Post
    Hello Hans, are you planning on stocking more cardinals soon?
    Working on it, where I used to get good quality Cardinals they also have Discus now from a ......... questionable source (let's call it that) because Cardinals are probably packed on the same tables as those Discus........ no thank you!!! I learned my lesson. So working on a new source.

Quote Originally Posted by angelfishusa View Post
    Just check out my website as I usually have some nice farm and tank raised neon tetra's. I've got about 200 left right now. I fatten them up for a month before I start shipping so they've been eating lots and lots of baby brine! I usually get 1000 at a time, and if I lose 10 that's a lot. these are over 3cm right now...
    David, Neons are not Cardinals, Cardinals do better on a higher temp. and are MUCH colorful.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusMama View Post
    Disagree.

I use to have, in the year 0 BC (BC = Before Catastrophe) 400 Cardinals in a 65. If we did feed them 2 big chunks of my mix it didn't hit the bottom, like Phirana's. Now in the same tank say 40 x 3" Discus (is 10:1) I guarantee you there is a lot lesser waste in the Cardinal tank as the Discus tank.

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Thanks for the input Hansie. You're probably right. so am I understanding correctly you think maybe it's 10:1 then as far as waste production? 10 cardinals = 1 discus?
    It would be a fun experiment when you think about it... I think I'm going to make it my daughters first science project for school when that comes up. Although... Shes three so that may be a while before we do it LOL
    Melissa

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

The outcome of that experiment would really depend on the amount of food going into the tank. You are adding the nitrogen from the food to 10 gallons of water. It will convert to nitrates eventually even if there were NO fish in the tank. Activity, growth, loss of condition could all play a role. It would be no simple experiment. I still think if you check your parameters and adjust your water changes you will be OK. If you can't keep the nitrogen waste products under control with proper filtration and WCs than you have too many fish in the tank. It is like energy it cannot be created or destroyed only changed in form. The nitrogen (protein) we put in our tanks (food) can only be changed in form (fish mass, plant mass, bacteria mass, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates etc.) or removed by water changes.

I once had a school of 50 cardinals in a large planted tank with a dozen adult discus. The cardinals added very little bio load to the tank. When I removed the cards for another tank, it really had no impact at all to the water quality of the display. The waste of a whole school of them is nothing compared to a healthy pair of adult discus.
    Darrell

Lol from the sound of things I was way off then. I guess I just got lucky and my cardinals are fat dirty little slobs! LOL!!!
    Melissa

Real Name
    Willie

I usually keep 5 - 6 adult discus in a barebottom 75 gal tank, with 2 double stacked set sponge filters. Two years ago, I added 125 cardinals to the tank, which also has a dozen Corydoras sterbai. Never saw any effect on water quality. The cardinals did wonderfully on the beefheart that the discus would chew and spit out. Not saying that they had no effect, but extra sponge filters are very forgiving.

The tank looked spectacular. The problem was that visitors would essentially ignore the discus and just talk about the cardinals.
    Willie

Registered Member

My cardinals are arriving this Thursday. I have a 225 gallon tank and I will be doing additional WC and will closely monitor the parameters. Will keep everyone posted on the effects

Oohh post some pictures!!!!! They're going to look awwweeeesssooooome! Lol
    Melissa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12