ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do i add discus to a new tank?

Registered Member

Default How do i add discus to a new tank?

Hi guys i will be getting some discus soon and some will probably come from a different source and i dont have a quarantine tank to put them in... So i dont put them in?

1. Just put them in or do i have to i have to put them and the bag in the tank for like a half hour for them to get use to the water and then put them in? What if i get them from a local breeder who i dont think have bags to put them in?

2. How do i put them in if from other sources? And just dump them in? Will they fight?

3. I plan on getting smaller ones like 2-4 inches and if some are in there a few days before i get the others to go in will the older ones that have been in there longer fight the others?

Please tell me what to do thanks.
    keeper of the fresh

Registered Member

Default Re: How do i add discus to a new tank?

oops at the start i ment "so how do i put them in?" not "so i dont put them in?"
    keeper of the fresh

Registered Member moon_knight1971's Avatar

You're in a tough spot without a QT tank Matt. You're best bet would be just to get the discus from 1 seller and watch the fish for 6 - 8 weeks to see if they are healthy or not. Most people float plastic bags with their new fish in the tank for about half an hour so the temp can balance off. If there's no bag you can try the drip method which is slowly adding some of your tank water into the container hold your new fish.

Registered Member

What the drip method? Because i wanted to get like 3 from discus hans and 1 maybe 2 (but probably 1) from mike beals because the tank might be to crowed with 2 from mike but mikes i dont think come in a bag. Oh and maybe one from kenny but then i have to pay for shipping. So ya whats the drip method?
    keeper of the fresh

What size are you getting? You might be able to find a cheap 20G on Craigslist that you could setup temporarily for QT.

Put another way, buying a QT tank is going to be far cheaper than losing ONE fish from either Hans for Mike. If you're getting 3" fish and based on the number you listed above, you could fit a few in a 20G for short-term.

Btw, just one from Mike? You do realize they both charge shipping right?

You'll save alot more just getting them from one source from reducing shipping costs alone.
    Eric

Registered Member

Hi eric. I dont buy shipping off mike i just go there for my dads work. My mom wont let me get a 20 gallon for a QT. lol. I am going to get size of discus from 2.5-4 inch discus. But back to the question i asked a second ago. Whats the drip method? Thanks
    keeper of the fresh

Matt, I'm quite certain they won't fight - maybe a little harmless 'pushing & shoving' as time goes on, but nothing to be concerned about. The potential problem when adding discus obtained from 2 different sources is cross-contamination.
    Perhaps it would be of help to you to read my "Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus". It's A sticky in the Discus Basics for Beginners panel. Read the sections on "Acclimatizing" and "Quarantining". Without a QT tank, you're running a risk, so if you can, the best advice is to get all your discus together from the same source.

Registered Member

Hi discuspaul. What is a cross-contamination? Thanks
    keeper of the fresh

I don't want to be rude or anything here Matt but just how old are you? Jim

Registered Member moon_knight1971's Avatar

Drip method is adding some of your tank water into the container that has your fish. Pretend your new fish are in a 5 gal bucket housed in the seller's water. Every 5 minutes or so you could add like 1 cup of your tank water to the 5 gal bucket so the new fish can get used to it. Do that for 30 - 40 minutes and the fish should be used to your tank water. You then add the fish into your tank.
    Cross contamination is basically saying you don't know if the water or fish are disease free so you add more risk by buying from more than 1 source. Like I live in CA and you live in MI. Let's say there's some outbreak in MI that is contaigious. Any people or products from MI would or could possibly bring the outbreak to wherever they go. Same thing with fish and that's why you should either get a QT tank or just buy from 1 source.

Registered Member

Wow that help a ton moonknight1971 thanks for all the help guys.
    keeper of the fresh

do QT before you mix them, you could find more and how to QT in this http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ght=quarantine
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

Matt
    You have been posting here on Simply for a while now asking again and again for advice which is a excellent way to learn the ins and outs of discus keeping. The problem is you just don't seem willing to take that advice. You have been advised on more than one thread that you should not buy your discus from different sources to all go in the same tank. You have been told the need and reasons for QT but you just don't seem to be listening. You have asked repeatedly about water changes but never really seem to accept the advice you are given. Why keep asking if you don't want to hear? Eveyone who responds to your post sincerly wants to be helpful and help you get into this hobby with the least amount of problems and heartache. The hobbist giving you advice are speaking from experience. They know what they are talking about. You really should listen to the advice you are asking for and getting.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member

Ok sorry i am listing but i like more then one opinion. So i am listing just so you know and i needed to know this last thing and then i would have no more questions to ask
    keeper of the fresh

The point isn't to stop asking questions. NEVER stop asking questions. I'm 57 and have had aquariums since I was 10 but I never stop asking and never stop learning. There is always someone out there that has more knowledge than me and is willing to help. I just have to be open to listening, recognizing that they know more than me and act on the advice they are giving. I absolutely don't want you to stop asking!!!

Larry
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast