AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do i add discus to a new tank?

Registered Member

Default Re: How do i add discus to a new tank?

I wont i know what you mean. Your not saying to stop asking. Your just saying that im kinda asking the same thing over and over in a way. I wont stop asking questions. And that was a very nice speech lol
    keeper of the fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
    The point isn't to stop asking questions. NEVER stop asking questions. I'm 57 and have had aquariums since I was 10 but I never stop asking and never stop learning. There is always someone out there that has more knowledge than me and is willing to help. I just have to be open to listening, recognizing that they know more than me and act on the advice they are giving. I absolutely don't want you to stop asking!!!

Larry
    +1

Registered Member

keeper of the fresh

Back to your original question... i check the water in the bags the fish come in. if the ph is close or a few points higher (like 7.2 in bag 7.6 in your tank), as long as temp is within a few degrees I just drop them in.
    If you ph is lower than the bag and temp is way off I add 1 cup tank water every ten minutes for at least 1 hr then put them in.
    I would never mix fish from different sources without qt. not to say any certain source is bad, but many times it leads to cross contamination of pathogens that fish are not used to and because they are stressed as it is it can effect them. I also put a tbls salt for each roughly 20 gallons for a couple days.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

keep it simple will be my advice.Temperatures and water parameters should be same and no disease should come to your tank from the new fish or the fish stores water so quarantine them.I have never kept a quarantine tank so far and have been lucky so to say as i always never buy on impulse meaning i observe the fish for at least 15 to 20 minutes from its eye,gills,shape of body,head,thickness,abdomen normal size,swimming speed and angles,whether they are bold and coming to the front of the tank when i slightly tap the front glass,are they darker than normal in color,are they feeding on a couple of grains of wetted fish food ,buy from the same dealer most of times.Most often when i see and select a fish i pay some advance and to the LFS and observe them for a couple of weeks.Then i buy them & put the bag floating in your tank for about 20 minutes, and when the temperatures are same inside the plastic bag and tank water make a small cut near the top of the bag,remove some 25%water and add water from tank,keep doing this for a couple of times and then take the bag out of the tank and after make the cut larger in the plastic bag,big enough for the fish to get out easily pour the contents with the fish slowly into a fine,sterile large net and put the netted discus into the tank.Try feeding other fish in the tank before this to prevent any fighting and switch off the lights or if transferring during the day pull the curtains,turn off the room lights and keep the place quiet and dark as possible and the next day you would see the new discus swimming nicely in a shoal with the older discus in the tank.
    ganesan,
    chennai,
    india

Registered Member

Ok thanks. I dont have a QT tank so ill see if it works out. But thanks for the info on how to put them in guys i really needed to know how to do that so i dont buy them and dont know how to put them in. Thanks again
    keeper of the fresh

Quote Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
    Drip method is adding some of your tank water into the container that has your fish. Pretend your new fish are in a 5 gal bucket housed in the seller's water. Every 5 minutes or so you could add like 1 cup of your tank water to the 5 gal bucket so the new fish can get used to it. Do that for 30 - 40 minutes and the fish should be used to your tank water. You then add the fish into your tank.
    Thats not drip method that is just the normal way of adding fish.

Heres drip method. I only add my fish this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zBFsHujE3A
    -Kevin

40 Breeder Growout Tank-3 TRSG, 2 Red TQ, 2 Red SS

Matt
    You have been posting here on Simply for a while now asking again and again for advice which is a excellent way to learn the ins and outs of discus keeping. The problem is you just don't seem willing to take that advice. You have been advised on more than one thread that you should not buy your discus from different sources to all go in the same tank. You have been told the need and reasons for QT but you just don't seem to be listening. You have asked repeatedly about water changes but never really seem to accept the advice you are given. Why keep asking if you don't want to hear? Eveyone who responds to your post sincerly wants to be helpful and help you get into this hobby with the least amount of problems and heartache. The hobbist giving you advice are speaking from experience. They know what they are talking about. You really should listen to the advice you are asking for and getting.
    Well said.
    And that's pretty much what's been happening. It would be great to hear convincingly that Matt has been taking some of this good advice to heart, and acting intelligently. As someone else asked, perhaps it would be enlightening to know how old you are, Matt ?
    Last edited by discuspaul; 04-23-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: I have to ask myself if I'm wasting my time here ? Does anyone else feel the same way?

Registered Member

I dont know why you need to know how old i am but i am 13
    keeper of the fresh

Registered Member

Oh and Hsunami where do i get a drip set thing he was using? Thanks
    keeper of the fresh

Registered Member

Well I have seen alot of great advise to all your questions Matt but you are missing one very important point. You really do and or will need a quaratine tank. Not only do i recommend quaratine new discuss but if one gets sick and you do not quaratine and treat that fish you could loose all of them to an illness. I know your parents don't want you to have another tank but if you follow everyones advice you will have some great looking discuss. Remember these are not fish you buy at Wal Mart. Good luck with your fish.

Wade

Registered Member

Thanks i know these are not fish i buy at wal mart lol. But ill have to see what i can do about the QT tank but they keep saying if you buy it from a good breeder they should already be quaratined. But ill see what i can do. Thanks for the help guys.
    keeper of the fresh

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Matt.

Flip and flop method..........starting a discus tank...be patience and buy from only one source(no cross contamination).....get at least 8 discus and put them there............since you have no other discus.....this will be yr display tank and enjoy them............wait two months later and you may want to add more discus ...........now you have to QT the new fish.......new discus in qt tank for 3 weeks and add one discus from yr existing stock and monitor them for another 4 weeks............no health problems and you can combine both stocks...........just my 2 cents.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Discus Hans

The point isn't to stop asking questions. NEVER stop asking questions.
    Larry
    Matt,

Larry would be happy to answer all your questions, you can send him as many as PM's you want, he will take care of you and he knows a lot, ask him what you want,

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Hans View Post
    Matt,

Larry would be happy to answer all your questions, you can send him as many as PM's you want, he will take care of you and he knows a lot, ask him what you want,

Hans
    Guess I better get my PM box cleaned out, lol.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast