Pat

Default Re: Very Suddenly Sick

That would bite big time Gary if so.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Well, some news. Not sure what it means. Asked hubby to keep an eye on the Alenquer through the day. No "flipped out" behavior. Tested the water for iron. Totally no iron in the water. Her's a picture of the fish and the iron test. The fish is still showing bars and a little darkest in the tank. I believe the darkest has lessen. On the iron test, the two samples shown the QT is on the right and the Alenquer's tank on the left.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, (no pun intended!)..looks like the well's up to snuff according to the test, but...jeesh, now what?
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    Well, (no pun intended!)..looks like the well's up to snuff according to the test, but...jeesh, now what?
    Great question Gary, The tank that has a problem was my reef tank and had no problem with it, the sump or the pump. New items for the tank include sand and wood. I have cleaned the sump and removed the last piece of wood added to the tank. I'm removing the last piece of wood tonight and replace it with a new piece. If this doesn't work I guess the tank goes to the trash man.

Here's a video of the fish eating FDBWs. It has a good appetite.

http://s925.photobucket.com/albums/a...=VIDEO0020.mp4

Well, some of my 29's were badly treated frag tanks, and they work fine......don't trash the tank; it's just glass.............
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post

Haven't had a chance to read through the thread, but is that a scrape above it's eye or is it pitting? Sort of looks like a group of odd scales.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Real Name
    Pat

After I do the above and the problem is not solved what the heck is the next step. Aggrrrrrrr............... On the bright side I do believe I have saved this fish.

Real Name
    Pat

Hey Ed, it's a scrape from the mad dash made around the tank. It had a smaller scape on the other side near the bottom of the fish and that seems have healed.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hey Ed, it's a scrape from the mad dash made around the tank. It had a smaller scape on the other side near the bottom of the fish and that seems have healed.
    Thought so.

Again, I haven't read through the whole thread, but if your doubting your water source I'd look into running it through sediment and carbon filters before aging and heavily aerating. To me it's a worth it, regardless.

Hope you can get them through this and find the answers you need Pat.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Ok, I know nothing about the general pattern and look of this fish, so I might be seeing something that's normal, but....

Do the other fish have those little black spots on their fins? They don't look particularly raised or bumpy, but if I remember correctly, black spots (on fish who aren't supposed to have them) can be a bacterial infection. There's also a parasite that presents as black spots, but I believe that's a marine parasite and not freshwater.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Ed13 View Post
    Thought so.

Again, I haven't read through the whole thread, but if your doubting your water source I'd look into running it through sediment and carbon filters before aging and heavily aerating. To me it's a worth it, regardless.

Hope you can get them through this and find the answers you need Pat.
    Thanks Ed, I'm actually planning on getting an RO unit for the wilds. Hubby and I are discussing the best place for it. Couple of engineers trying to make decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    Ok, I know nothing about the general pattern and look of this fish, so I might be seeing something that's normal, but....

Do the other fish have those little black spots on their fins? They don't look particularly raised or bumpy, but if I remember correctly, black spots (on fish who aren't supposed to have them) can be a bacterial infection. There's also a parasite that presents as black spots, but I believe that's a marine parasite and not freshwater.
    Hey Toni, this fish is a wild Alenquer. Black dots in the tail can be shown when the fish is in an emotional (stressed, mad, perhaps horny) state or just as a manner of course. This particular fish is stressed as it generally shows a clear tail. I'm hoping to see the blackness in the tail disappear over the next couple of days. If it does I believe I will be on the right course with this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed13 View Post
    ?...but if your doubting your water source I'd look into running it through sediment and carbon filters before aging and heavily aerating....
    This is exactly what I do now. Chased the heavy metal issue for too long. Had the water tested at a lab and showed nothing known to be toxic at the levels the sample contained. I eventually determined that it must be episodic or event driven. I isolated one event but that didn't explain the random re-occurrences. Must be something going on under ground with my wells ( I have two) - so I went with sediment and multiple carbon blocks before the water hits my aging tank for heating and aeration for 24 hours. All has been well for almost a year.

If all is well now Pat - it could have just been an event. Your diligence and awareness saved this fish. If you hadn't been so on top of this - you may have lost more. The truth is you may never know what happened. Not knowing is what drove me to my current setup. I may not need it - but I sleep better and I'm not constantly eagle eyeing the fish.

Adam

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Adam, I'm not out of the woods yet but hopefully close. I have lost two fish and I'm bound and determined to not lose anther and yup, eagle eyeing those fish lol.

So just for fun. Is the house water run through the sediment and multiple carbon blocks filters. Or they separate and only for the WC water?

I have a dedicated filter on the utility sink that runs my Python. Attached are links from the supplier in MI that I use and may give you an idea of the types of filters possible; the third link is a SD sponsor in FL that has some nice RO units.
    http://www.thewaterexchange.net/well-water-filters.htm

http://www.thewaterexchange.net/buil...ter-filter.htm

http://www.eliteaquaria.com/Discus_RO_Units_s/44.htm

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Jeff? for the links. I will check then out. Pat

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast