ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Suddenly Sick

Default Re: Very Suddenly Sick

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Thanks Adam, I'm not out of the woods yet but hopefully close. I have lost two fish and I'm bound and determined to not lose anther and yup, eagle eyeing those fish lol.

So just for fun. Is the house water run through the sediment and multiple carbon blocks filters. Or they separate and only for the WC water?
    There are wholehouse units and dedicated independent units. I'd suggest an idependent unit for your fish regardless, since it won't work as hard and it'll be easier to keep track of. There are even cool little timers in order to indicate when to change the filters, some are time based and some very cool ones actually measure the gallons used.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

The problem with the pre-filters is that they don't get all of the heavies, just the easy crap..That's why R/O membranes were developed...I'd stick with R/O since we're talking wild strains...JMO, but I have tried just prefiltering, and it didn't give me the results I was seeking...R/O, R/O, R/O your boat, gently down the stream....there's a lot more R/O users than you might think, but many are still in the closet 'cuz they can't take the flack....Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Had another mad dash from this fish this morning but seems like there is less darkest in the tail. Hopefully the fish is slowly becoming detoxified in the QT.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Pat......been following the thread and you need to clean the barrel perhaps use 37% H2o2 to sterilize it.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

...So just for fun. Is the house water run through the sediment and multiple carbon blocks filters. Or they separate and only for the WC water?
    They are separate, Pat. I have filters on the house water after the well heads but I pull the WC water directly from the well head so they need to be separate. I also don't use carbon on the house water just sediment - we have carbon filtration at the sinks and in the fridge for drinking water.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Ed13 View Post
    There are wholehouse units and dedicated independent units. I'd suggest an idependent unit for your fish regardless, since it won't work as hard and it'll be easier to keep track of. There are even cool little timers in order to indicate when to change the filters, some are time based and some very cool ones actually measure the gallons used.
    Thanks Ed, will definitely be a dedicated unit for the fishes. Currently using the "house" RO unit for the WCs and that becomes a bucket operation

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    The problem with the pre-filters is that they don't get all of the heavies, just the easy crap..That's why R/O membranes were developed...I'd stick with R/O since we're talking wild strains...JMO, but I have tried just prefiltering, and it didn't give me the results I was seeking...R/O, R/O, R/O your boat, gently down the stream....there's a lot more R/O users than you might think, but many are still in the closet 'cuz they can't take the flack....Gary
    True Gary, since all my fishes are wilds RO it is.

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Hi Pat......been following the thread and you need to clean the barrel perhaps use 37% H2o2 to sterilize it.
    Thanks Seanyuki, Many uses for HP

Quote Originally Posted by aalbina View Post
    They are separate, Pat. I have filters on the house water after the well heads but I pull the WC water directly from the well head so they need to be separate. I also don't use carbon on the house water just sediment - we have carbon filtration at the sinks and in the fridge for drinking water.
    Thanks Adam.

Real Name
    Pat

Hey Gary, Would you mind posting your ebay RO unit link here? Thanks Pat

Real Name
    Pat

I was hoping to see an improved fish arriving home from work. Instead walked in on the tail end of a mad dash This fish is going to bash it's head in at this rate. So captured a video (below) of a stressed, hard breathing fish. I intend to do a salt dip on this guy during my water change. 2 tablespoon per gallon ( bucket for up to 30 min or until the fish rolls with airstone ). Thought here is to use the dip as a parasiticide. Am I shotgunning, yup. Open to any/all ideas.

http://s925.photobucket.com/albums/a...=VIDEO0023.mp4

Real Name
    Pat

Instead of doing a salt dip I decided to do partly what John Sr (snookn21) suggested. He suggested dosing (normal not epsom) salt at 1 cup per 15 gallons or about a tablespoon per gallon. Last night I dosed half of that ( 2 cups (16 tablespoon per cup) in a 75 (~half tablespoon per gallon) ) and I monitored the tank for a couple hours.

This morning I did not observe a mad dash of the Alenquer and after talking with John just now I will do a full dose for three days starting tonight. Basically treating for externals. I'm hoping for improvement so crossing all body parts. Note that this is being used on wilds.

Also while talking with John he mentioned that he has had discus do exactly what is happening with my fish. A mad dash and dead a few hours later. He has no clue to the cause of this.

I just saw this thread, and didn't read the whole thing, but sounds like you have a "cursed tank". Before you write me off as crazy, I'll explain. I once had a tank that I had far too many unexplained deaths in. It seemed almost every fish I put in this tank died at some point for absolutely no reason. I don't know, but I think some material that the tank or the decor was made from was a bit toxic, and any fish placed in this tank was on "death row". I finally tore down this tank, and gave it to a kid to keep a snake in. I set up a different tank in the exact spot, on the same stand, and never had another unexplained death in that room.
    Darrell

Real Name
    Pat

Darrel, I do not disagree, BUT the tank was used sucessfully as a reef tank prior to being remade as a discus tank AND I will replace this tank if needed and place a skull and cross bones sticker on the tank.

I will replace this tank if needed and place a skull and cross bones sticker on the tank.
    Hey, I'd be steerin' a wide course on whose trademark ye be infringin' on, there, matey!
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Real Name
    Pat

What, not willing to share

Hey Gary, Would you mind posting your ebay RO unit link here? Thanks Pat
    You might want to check these guys out too. The fish club in my area has a few people who have purchased from them and they are good units.

http://www.purewaterclub.com/

I had a cheap water general from ebay and it was a good unit, I just added a DI chamber.

If you decide to go with a DI too, I suggest you buy a seperate DI housing to run in line. All RO/DI units are the same IMO. some just look cool, but cost an arm and a leg.

And dont ever trust a carbon block to remove chlorine and chloramine, Ive tested 0 tds water and it had chlorine in it several times. it especially happens in High output units.

your using well water right?, is there anyone else on your well too that could have shocked it lately? Even someone thats not on your well could have shocked thiers and seepage could be getting into your well.

If your not sure, Get a test kit for chlorine and test it. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Sean Buehrle; 05-13-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks seanbuehrle, I will check them out. I suppose checking for chlorine couldn't hurt but have never heard of anyone shocking their well. Only their pool.

Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast