AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RO water and wild discus...can TDS be too low?

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Default Re: RO water and wild discus...can TDS be too low?

I have all my fish conditioned to seafood recipe, live blackworms, frozen bloodworms, and beefheart flakes. Overtime I've been able to estimate how much food they can finish in 15 min and give them that much 1-2 times a day. Just rotate the food day to day so they get a variety.
    Mark

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
    Anybody keep wilds in TDS less than 50ppm?
    I have had 5 wilds in my 80g for a month and my tap water is extremely soft. According to the API test kit, GH and KH values are close to zero!! I read in this forum that very soft water can lead to PH crashes, but my PH has been stable at 6.2. Has anyone experienced problems with water that is extremely soft?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBR View Post
    I have had 5 wilds in my 80g for a month and my tap water is extremely soft. According to the API test kit, GH and KH values are close to zero!! I read in this forum that very soft water can lead to PH crashes, but my PH has been stable at 6.2. Has anyone experienced problems with water that is extremely soft?
    Just a thought, but have you confirmed that with a different test kit? The API GH/KH test kits have been known to be absolutely terrible. Sometimes they change color with 1 drop, and in my case, they would never change color. The Hagen/Nutrafin kit works like a charm.
    - Jose

The Sera kits work well too.
    Marc

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBR View Post
    my tap water is around 50 to 70 ppm and I have seen the crash it usually happens when the water changes are neglected. I noticed the fish in one of my tanks acting spooky and checked parametors ph had dropped from 6.8 to 3.6 in about a weeks time, to counter this problem I tossed a bag of crushed coral in the sump problem solved!
    Leo ross , aka "roundfishross"
    "revolution occurs when the victims cease to cooperate"

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    my tap water is around 50 to 70 ppm and I have seen the crash it usually happens when the water changes are neglected. I noticed the fish in one of my tanks acting spooky and checked parametors ph had dropped from 6.8 to 3.6 in about a weeks time, to counter this problem I tossed a bag of crushed coral in the sump problem solved!
    Yep, it will. This is why I said in the earlier post that water changes are critical to stay ahead of the PH drop. I like the lower PH. If I put coral in the sump, it raises my PH, so I just stay ahead of it with water changes.
    Darrell

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    Yep, it will. This is why I said in the earlier post that water changes are critical to stay ahead of the PH drop. I like the lower PH. If I put coral in the sump, it raises my PH, so I just stay ahead of it with water changes.
    yeah this particular tank is a 75g with a 50g sump it is only stocked with around 6 to 8 breeders so I try not to have to do a daily wc on it.
    Leo ross , aka "roundfishross"
    "revolution occurs when the victims cease to cooperate"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12