AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Aging water Question

Default Aging water Question

For aging water i have a 32 gallon Brute trash can with a lid that i cut a small hole in the middle for the heater to hand so that it doesn't touch the plastic.

For the whole "aging" part does the top need to have an opening where the gas/air can exchange? or does it not matter

-Kevin

40 Breeder Growout Tank-3 TRSG, 2 Red TQ, 2 Red SS

Default Re: Aging water Question

Yes..doesn't have to be open in it's entirety; however it does require a gap for the gas to escape easily..
    Better than to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

so that hole i have on top should be bigger? or is that good?
    -Kevin

U do have air stone also.. Yes
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

i do. You can see the tube running into the trash can on the left side.

So. . . hole bigger or good?
    -Kevin

Personally.. I would crack the lid during the aging and before you heat the water close the lid.
    Last edited by flyman767; 05-01-2011 at 10:16 PM.

if i were to do that, typically how long does it take to age before i heat? Because generally they eat at 9am, 12 pm, 3 pm, 6pm, and then 9 pm. THen at 11pm i'll go and change 90% of the water. Only a 32 gallon so its more like 75% is aged and 25% is tap then i also throw in a capful and a half of prime into the mix to be on the safe side. This be a 55gallon btw.

So after i refill the trash i leave it open lid at night then plug in the heater in the morning so there is enough time to get the temp up to 87?

Me doing my WC this way is that ok?
    Last edited by Hsunami; 05-01-2011 at 10:26 PM.
    -Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Hsunami View Post
    if i were to do that, typically how long does it take to age before i heat? Because generally they eat at 9am, 12 pm, 3 pm, 6pm, and then 9 pm. THen at 11pm i'll go and change 90% of the water. Only a 32 gallon so its more like 75% is aged and 25% is tap then i also throw in a capful and a half of prime into the mix to be on the safe side. This be a 55gallon btw.

So after i refill the trash i leave it open lid at night then plug in the heater in the morning so there is enough time to get the temp up to 87?

Me doing my WC this way is that ok?
    The only way to know for sure is to test the Ph until it stabilizes..usually around 24 hours. If you are going to need the water before it can fully stabilize, you could add a second container; then all you would have to do is transfer the lid and heater from the first. This way you will always have a standby, 'fully aged' water on hand.

I would recommend insulating the container. I use a water heater jacket(these work extremely well). This will reduce the time it takes to heat your water. Depending on your temp in the room, size of water heater, and insulating capability will determine how long it will take to heat. Personally, I use a 1000 watt titanium heater...takes about 2.5 hours (69 degrees to 87 degrees).

Also, I would not put the prime in until right before you transfer the water from the container to your tank. Otherwise, what you see significant amounts of sludge build-up along the heater, airlines, stone, etc...
    Last edited by flyman767; 05-02-2011 at 12:13 AM.

yea i tested my water stability already. it is stable at 7.6 regardless aged or not. I usually don't need the water anytime before than. I only change 90% at 11:00pm.

And yes i know about the prime i add it into the tank when i transfer the water. I do not add the prime in the container itself.

thanks for your help.
    -Kevin

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Is there a reason why you need to use a lid? Is the tub outside or exposed to toxins? I have 3 - 50g plastic trash tubs that I age my water and keep the RO product water....but they are inside my house so I do not use any lids at all to allow free gas exchange. If you are trying to keep things out of the water then by all means keep a lid with opening for gas escape but if its in a relatively safe environment then you should be ok to have it just open.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by m3h3c3 View Post
    Is there a reason why you need to use a lid? Is the tub outside or exposed to toxins? I have 3 - 50g plastic trash tubs that I age my water and keep the RO product water....but they are inside my house so I do not use any lids at all to allow free gas exchange. If you are trying to keep things out of the water then by all means keep a lid with opening for gas escape but if its in a relatively safe environment then you should be ok to have it just open.
    Contaminants and heating.. you certainly don't need the lid to age but trying to heat a 35g+ container without a lid will take more time and waste a significant amount of energy.

the trashcan is right next to my bathroom so i don't want to end up contaminating the water with soap or what ever when i walk by. Plus like flyman said it will take less time to heat the water instead of having an open lid trashcan.

i'll just leave the lid open during the night and close it during the morning to heat.
    -Kevin

Registered Member

The lid doesn't have a tight seal, so that should be sufficient to allow gas interchange because of the airstone. I'd keep a strong flow of air into the barrel. I start heating the water in my aging barrels when I fill 'em, and have a switchbox to turn off the heaters when I start the pumps to fill the aquariums. The barrels are also insulated.I add prime before filling the barrels, so I do get some gook in them. That's just a matter of routine- prime first, then water, so I won't forget.

There are lots of ways to do it well. You can even put the heater on a timer.

I've experimented with the lid closed, partly closed(lid slid to one side revealing about a 1inch gap), and wide open. When I had the lid completely closed it did take more time for my water to stabilize vs cracked/wide-open. This wasn't a significant amount of time but certainly longer(several hours). I did not find any difference between partly open and wide open. There are other variables here as well. How much air you are pumping into the barrel and how much gas that ultimately needs to escape. My situation is somewhat unique in that my Ph before aeration is about 9.5; after aeration 8.0(approx 18 hours).
    Last edited by flyman767; 05-03-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Registered Member

I read that you are using an air stone, but if you are trying to shorten the time it takes to 'age' the water [off gas and heat], you could change the arir stone for a power jet or a water pump--the more agitation, the faster the water will offgas. Just a suggestion.
    I use a decent sized pump on a 55g barrel, heat at the same time, and crack the lid well. In 6 hours, it's ready to go--in MY water, anyhow, LOL.
    Best regards,
    Harriett