AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best substrate?

Default Best substrate?

Hey been a long time since i've been on SD, i wanted to know what is the best substrate for growing plants in a Ram/tetra aqarium, and since my tank is tall what kind of lighting is best?

Default Re: Best substrate?

http://www.marineandreef.com/Hagen_F...rate_s/728.htm

Best for plants and carpet plants will grow like crazy. very light and porous and good for smaller fishes. not ok for discus as you can not vaccum the gravel after its settled. you wont need to.
    Sameen

So sand is not good? Also what is better for a planted tank a overhang style filter or canister?

Registered Member

sand is not good. Use a canister, it will minimize turbulence which could dissipate co2

No dont use sand. sand is for no plant biotope or other kind of fishes. And plants cant root easy in that. Sand is heavy too.u need light gravel. Just give it a try what i told u. I use the same one. And trust me my (baby tears) plant is growing like crazy where it is extremely hard to grow. It provides good filtration and save hatching of eggs of various shrimp and small fishes.

And use a canister filter not HOB. Canister filters outflow direction can be directed in any angle. And if you can afford, go for the Eheim Pro 3e. Its flow rate can be auto set for day and night. so that the surface agitation at day time is less so u keep more co2. and at night u need o2 for plants respiration, so more flow at night. And if you need help with Co2 diffusion or reaction then let me know, i have a very unique way for 99% reaction. it so efficient that u cant even see the bubbles. they instantly gets mixed with water. All u will need is a powerhead.
    Sameen

Yeah im going to try and get a canister filter and a co2 system and lighting. Ill try to get that substrate any suggestions on lighting?

http://www.amazon.com/H-T-Magnum-Can...4489695&sr=1-8 Is this a decent canister filter i don't want to spend to much.

HOT magnum is a good filter. But it gets clogged pretty frequently due to its micron filter cartridge. It can polish your water to give a crystal clear water. It has one type with bio wheel with it. but that one will cause too much surface agitation for your plants. so get this one.
    Sameen

And for lighting, my personal fav is LED as it makes that shimmering affect. For plant you need bright and full spectrum light that glows all the spectrums, visible and non-visible. I would say, get a t5 set.
    Sameen

and for c02, you can make your own with yeast. and for reactors, no commercial one is good enuf. you will always get few bubbles leaving the tank. i would say get a co2 commercial tank as with those you can regulate the bubble out put as per your need and efficiency of reactor.
    Sameen

Registered Member

As Sammen says, don't use the magnum for every day use. I agree that eheim would be a great choice. Go with a Eheim classic to keep costs down. I have two, and they are bulletproof. Also, the magnum is VERY noisy for every day use. The eheims are almost silent. DIY co2 will work very well too. Been doing it on my 90 gallon for ten years. The one thing you can't skimp on in a planted tank is lighting. Not enough light will mean poor growth=algae. be sure and load up on plants initially to keep algae at bay. It will take time to find the right balance between lighting, co2, ferts and bioload. be patient. As for the ram / tetras, don't throw anything sensitive like blue rams or cardinals in until you find that balance. Start with more hardy varieties.

Ill go with an EHEIM canister filter because apparently they DONT EVER DIE.
    What wattage of light is enough for my 37 gallon Tall. Any suggestions on good value T5's? And ill probably do DIY co2 ( if its not messy).

Is an eheim 2211 Enough for my 37 gallon or should i spend the extra 15 bucks and get a 2213

eheim 2211 is enough for upto 40 gallon.
    Sameen

Go there and do a little research
    you need:
    1. T5
    2. atleast 40 watts in total
    3. Full spectrum
    http://www.bigalsonline.ca/Fish_Lighting_81665_102.html
    Sameen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast