AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: sand in water

Real Name
    Zach

Default sand in water

I used pfs as my substrate for my biotope and it is always floating around in water. Anyone know why or have experienced this? I didn't rinse before I added. Also this is around a month after setup. Not due to new sand added ect...

Real Name
    Mauro

Default Re: sand in water

I have had pool filter sand in my 80g tank for more than 3 months and it never floated around. I did rinse it before putting it in the tank. It must be that.

I've used white silica PFS sand many times, and never had anything like the problem you're talking about.
    I would think the source of that "PFS" would be in question - what was it called/where did you get it ?
    Sure doesn't sound like PFS to me.
    It shouldn't behave like that, even with little or no rinsing.
    Something's very wrong with that sand - I would ditch it, and get some 'real' PFS.

Real Name
    Zach

It's #20 or something pool filter sand. I bought it from the pool store. It's like a bunch of I'm guessing sand particles on the glass. I'm doing a thorough cleaning of everything tomorrow. with the discus, tetras, bnp, corie, driftwood ect ect.. how do you suggest taking out sand if I end up having to?

Well, PFS should NOT float around in the tank, nor adhere to the glass.
    I would check around with as many pool/spa supply stores as you can, and ask them all if they have white silica PFS. If they have, go have a look at it, see what it looks like compared to what you've got. Would be great if you could get a sample and place it under water to see how it behaves.
    As for your existing sand, when you're doing a wc, try to slowly/carefully pan/shovel out as much as you can, without sending your fish into a darting frenzy, and again slowly replace with the good, 'real stuff' that you may have found. That's the best suggestion I can give you.

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Well, PFS should NOT float around in the tank, nor adhere to the glass. As for your existing sand, when you're doing a wc, try to slowly/carefully pan/shovel out as much as you can, without sending your fish into a darting frenzy, and again slowly replace with the good, 'real stuff' that you may have found. That's the best suggestion I can give you.
    I think that the 'sand' could easily be siphoned out of the tank using a water changing hose. There would be virutally no disturbance to the occupants. In my recent substrate swap, I tried to siphon out the Eco-Complete, but pieces were too big and would clog the hose. I ended up using a rectangular net and it worked very well! To add the new sand (after a thorough rinsing ) use a large plastic cup, scoop up the new sand and slowly place the cup in the tank allowing it to fill with water. Slowly lower the cup to the bottom and carefully pour it out. Rinse, and repeat.

It isn't normal for quartz sand to continue to float as it weighs about 2.67 times as much as water. It is difficult to account for the phenomenon you are experiencing.
    I used a 100# bag of 20/30 white quartz sand blasting sand in my 125 gal tank without rinsing it and it has never floated.
    It was factory pre-washed but there is always some dust left over but the tank was crystal clear within an hour. Siphoning will work as long as there is enough suction. It would not be my choice to remove sand this fine with the fish in the tank. I have done in-place removal of coarser substrate such as EcoComplete black but there a net will work well. What little remained was not a problem for me. I did the work with the tank half full.
    Larry Waybright

Real Name
    Zach

Hock. I took off the HOB and the water got clearer. Most of it was bubbles I suppose and then food.