ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: ro/di water and brightwell aquatics questions

Registered Member

Default ro/di water and brightwell aquatics questions

hello,im new here and and have some questions. my wife and i just got an ro/di unit for our 90g planted discus tank and our 40g breeder.the guy at my lfs recomended florin delta kh+ and remineraliz-p to add to the ro water for reconstitution of minerals and carbonates but i cant find much info on either of them.i have not had time yet to expieriment with them and was wondering if anybody here has any expierience with these products? we just want some feedback before we use them in our aquarium.ill probaly start testing in the morning for ph,gh,kh,and tds before and after using these products(in buckets of corse).we have been keeping our discus in conditioned tap water for two years now with no problems but we wanted to switch to ro/di mainly for breeding purposes.im just looking for input or suggestions on this because we are not expierinced with ro. my current tap water parameters are tds 80,ph 7.2,gh2,kh 0-1.my ro/di water is zero across the board with a very low ph and myplanted tank tds 230,ph 7.0, gh4,kh 4. any advice is very much appreciated we are just looking for some input on switching to ro/di water.

thanks

Default Re: ro/di water and brightwell aquatics questions

I'm pretty much an R/O type due to extreme tap harness and chemicals,but...If I had your tap parameters, I'd sell my R/O!...I'm not quite sure why you want to change anything...Discus should breed fine in your tap...Back to q's, I have never used the two products mentioned, as I use my tap to add minerals back to my R/O..sometimes use Kent Discus Essentials, but prefer the tap/ R/O waste reject...
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Registered Member

actually,after staying up till 4 in the morning reading and researching i am starting to wonder if it is worth all the trouble mixing this and that heating the ro water and carrying it from my garage to tank. i still would like to hear from a few more ro users and there inputs. maybe i should just use 50%tap and 50%ro or some mixture like that instead of chemicals.since i have been keeping discus and plants i have not been a big fan of adding all kinds products to my aquarium thats what scares me about the ro thing is that you have to add this and that product and im not sure about it. im still on the fence about this whole thing and until i know exactly how these products work or any other ro additives im going to stick with what has been working. i, however did do some testing this morning and these are the parameters i came up with. my tap water after i added amquel came out with a tds of 130ppm and ph7.3 . my ro water after using the brightwell aquatics products going by the directions came out to a tds of 127 and a ph of 7.1. but it took alot of time to do this because for some reason they do there dosing based on weight in grams witch i do not like at all. i would love to know what and how all of you ro users out there do it,im just looking for some proven direction. thanks everybody

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

i think your tap water parameters are just fine for your 90g. If you are getting into breeding and find the eggs are turning white or not hatching at a good rate then you can consider using the RO water for the 40g. I use pure RO water reconstituted with Kent Discus Essentials for my wild breeders, nothing else. As soon as the eggs hatch you'll have to start adding RO waste water to increase the minerals in the water for developing fry. But at this point I wouldn't worry about changing the tap until you get pairing and spawning activity...most domestics actually breed fine in tap.
    Mark