ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First discus tank help please

Default Re: First discus tank help please

you don't really need algae crew.. if you keep up with water changes and regulate the amount of light that stays on.. don't give in to the hype that says you need one..

ps..i thought the name was Bristlenose Pleco?
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

For a 55, you might do well with the discus, the cardinals, the corys and either a bushynose pleco or a couple malaysian trumpet snails. Those snails don't get too big, they play in the substrate and stir it up for you and their shells are too hard for discus to eat. Oh and they don't mind the higher temps. I had one in my tank in the beginning and now have 10 that I can count. It only takes one to breed, so don't buy too many or you'll be overrun with snails..lol

I'd leave out the rasbora's for now and maybe add them later once you've had time to figure out if they will fit into the tank once the discus start to grow. And definitely nix the chinese algae eaters.

If you really want to grow out the discus, get 2 forms of filtration (trust me, if one fails you're going to be glad you have the other one!). I have a hydro sponge filter and a canister filter, but a hang on back filter is good too. The hydro sponge will do a good job for the bio load, provides some mechanical filtration and also helps add oxygen to the water, which you need at the higher temps.

Other things you need.

2 heaters so that the stress of the higher temp isn't too much for one heater.

A good variety of high quality food so that they grow out into nice healthy fish. Discus flakes, pellets, frozen beefheart recipes, frozen brine shrimp cubes and freeze dried blackworms are all good choices. Just get the ones that you like best.

If you really want a planted tank for the grow out, be sure to get super easy care plants because they are going to be subjected to water changes every day and will get abused by your syphon. The other option is to put a couple pieces of driftwood into the tank and tie anubias onto that, so you get the look of plants and can just lift them out while you vacuum.

Seriously consider the advice given above about having a bare bottom tank for ease of cleaning. I am super diligent with my 4" discus and it's still a big pain to vacuum the gravel and plants every single day. And 4" is WAY less work than the little juvies.

Some people put a very small amount of sand on the bottom so that it gives the illusion of substrate. That might be an option for you.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Registered Member

thanks guys for the help.

If this is your first discus tank, you're making a big mistake trying to have a 55 gal., planted Discus tank, for many reasons. I'm too lazy to type them all. Forget planting it, and the other fish. Get 6 Discus from a good source, and keep them for a while. After you gain Discus experience, go for your planted tank if you still want one by then.
    Darrell

Registered Member

I mostly agree with all of the good advice so far. If you want a planted tank, do that first. Get it going and stable. When it is stable with no algae, add 40 cardinals. Half will die. When they are able to survive, buy the discus. They have been a good indicator fish for me that the tank is ready for discus. Forget the Rasboras and plecos. Avoid the causes of algae and find your tanks balance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by russren View Post
    I mostly agree with all of the good advice so far. If you want a planted tank, do that first. Get it going and stable. When it is stable with no algae, add 40 cardinals. Half will die. When they are able to survive, buy the discus. They have been a good indicator fish for me that the tank is ready for discus. Forget the Rasboras and plecos. Avoid the causes of algae and find your tanks balance.
    If half of your cardinals are dying, then your doing something wrong OR buying them from a sh** dealer...

You did not really get into how much water you plan on changing and how often.
    This will have a big impact on the discus, especially if you are going with only juveniles.
    I also do not think an Aquaclear 50 is enough. I use two AC70 on 55 gallon tanks to turn the water over at least 10-times an hour.
    At least one hydro filter will also give you a good filter bed along with aeration.
    At the end of the day you will figure out what you want as far as the discus go and as your tank and what you have in it settle in.
    The plants will be challenging with the temperatures you will need to keep for the discus.
    I have tried the same set-up you are thinking about only to strip it all down to bare bottom and nothing but discus.
    Every time I tried different fish, plants and even substrate it always seemed like they compromised the discus.
    All this being said, a 55 gallon tank is manageable and I think it is a good idea to experiment with what you like.
    Good luck and keep us posted on what you do and how make out.
    Chris V.

Registered Member BlazednSleepy's Avatar

Since Im doing a low tech planted discus tank in a few months. Im gonna wait till I get the planted part down.

I wanna make sure my new 90 gallon is in tip top shape with great plants growth, previous fish and know they are very healthy fish before I add the discus.

Registered Member BlazednSleepy's Avatar

This hobby is really about patience. If you run into things, your asking for something wrong to happen. I've been planning this since february and I still feel I need more time and knowledge to be prepared.

I suggest you do the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12