ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Another Suddenly Sick Thread

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: Another Suddenly Sick Thread

Sorry to hear Javier, but you did all you could and in the end it was merciful to end the suffering of the fish. You did the right thing.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Javier, you gave it your best but still not easy. So sorry, Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by jpdevol View Post
    So sorry Javier. Matt's inquiry have had me thinking of you these last few days and wondering how the fish (and you) were doing. I suspect that it must have been a bacterial infection of the nervous system. If so, many - including Andrew Soh - believe that it is not curable once the damage is done. You did afford him every chance of recovery.
    Thanks Jeff for all the help........I really thought he was going to pull threw.....

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Sorry to hear Javier, but you did all you could and in the end it was merciful to end the suffering of the fish. You did the right thing.
    Barb
    Thank you Barb I guess that is true he suffered for two months.....
    Javier

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Javier, you gave it your best but still not easy. So sorry, Pat
    Thanks Pat, Yeah I really tired hard to get him better and yeah it was not easy really didnt want to do it......How are your guys doing?
    Javier

Real Name
    Pat

Well Javier, so far so good. Another week of no darts and all might be good so quietly and carefully keeping the body parts crossed.

Well Javier, so far so good. Another week of no darts and all might be good so quietly and carefully keeping the body parts crossed.
    I hear ya! I really hope they stay that way and that you no longer have any more troubles!
    Javier

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Javier, are your troubles over now?

Thanks Javier, are your troubles over now?
    The darting of the other discus? Yeah I havent really seen them dart as much as they were before.....
    Javier

Banned

Smile Re: Another Suddenly Sick Thread

Jeff,

Neither link proves anything about what I am asking. I know what methemoglobin is. I have worked in hospital laboratories and blood centers for about 20 years. I have run more blood counts and viewed blood smears that I care to mention.

One link did mention that an invitro experiment showed that... (whatever it said, irrelavent to the question)

Well, what happens invitro does not always transfer to invivo applications. A case in point would be the use of heat alone to treat intestinal protozoans. Invetro experiments fared much better than invivo.

Nowhere in any link you supplied nor that I found says that MB transfers the way you say. All that I read where humans are being treated, MB was either taken orrally or via injection.

I have been asking the question for at least 10 years to people in the medical field regarding MB as it applies to fish and no one has given me the mechanism MB uses to kill bacteria, now how does it do what you state, if indeed it does. I see no proof, only an opinion based on an extrapolation.

Thanks for trying. I may never know.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    I've already read those links and several others. Those are invivo applications and it cannot be implied to be true by adding MB to the water at any dosage, much less the dosage for treating external problems. Does anyone have any scientific data on MB being effective for any internal purposes for fish? MB has a limited value for external treatments. Other than killing some bacteria and being absorbed by dead tissue, like wounds and dead eggs, to prevent funugal growth, what other applications are there?

I am not arguing the point. It may do that. I would like to see some data.

Mat
    The only thing I ever seen it do is stain my fingers and keep some fungus off DEAD eggs. though it has helped with a dip for the white pimples(dead flesh). But I have heard/read from many many much more experienced tropical/discus fish keepers than myself that is does help with brown blood
    Jim

Banned

Smile Re: Another Suddenly Sick Thread

Hey Jim,

I am not saying it does or does not help. It may very well do so. I am interested in knowing what mechanisms are being used for killing bacteria and absorbtion from the water column. This requires scientific data.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    Hey Jim,

I am not saying it does or does not help. It may very well do so. I am interested in knowing what mechanisms are being used for killing bacteria and absorbtion from the water column. This requires scientific data.

Mat
    I understand what you mean. It does make a big difference if you know how something works other than just hearing it does.
    I have made and still do make mistakes by dosing and treatments because a few say that it works and going blindly hoping for a result. but when I find something that works I kinda stay with it then adjust according to what you guys say.
    Jim

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617