ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Well everyone the time has come!

Registered Member

Default Re: Well everyone the time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    It may take them a while to adjust.
    Ok thats probably it. One more thing they wont eat now..... I have feed them frozen blood warms and some fish food i have for them call X-tream or something like that. They won even try to get it. Whats wrong. Please help
    keeper of the fresh

Registered Member moon_knight1971's Avatar

Generally when they are new they need a few days to adjust. No lights no food and walk by them slowly if you must walk by them. Don't forget to do your water changes Matt
    :-)

Joey!

Make sure to clean up left over food and do wc's. It takes time for them to adjust and they are stressed out from shipping and new tank. No need to be concerned yet. You did get a good test kit right? Not stick tests. Need to keep water levels in check too.

Edit: where is link for you tube so everyone can see them?
    Wendy

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by wendy9722 View Post
    Make sure to clean up left over food and do wc's. It takes time for them to adjust and they are stressed out from shipping and new tank. No need to be concerned yet. You did get a good test kit right? Not stick tests. Need to keep water levels in check too.

Edit: where is link for you tube so everyone can see them?
    Ok thanks. yes i got a testing kit. And i did a water change today and yesterday before i put them in. And really about the no light? and here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5B_MrTil_o
    keeper of the fresh

Yahh no light is best to help make them feel a little more comfortable. I watched you video. They look really nice including the angels. I like the yellow koi and the silver angel. I and I'm sure many other would say get the discus into a bb tank until you know how to care for them first. Did you bother with qt? If not then you are playing a serious game that could cost you the lives of your other fish and discus. One of those fish could be a carrier of a disease that you are not aware about and can spread like wild fire to the rest and lose everything that is invested. I wish you the best of luck!!!! I hope they all stay healthy.
    Wendy

Registered Member

Yahh no light is best to help make them feel a little more comfortable. I watched you video. They look really nice including the angels. I like the yellow koi and the silver angel. I and I'm sure many other would say get the discus into a bb tank until you know how to care for them first. Did you bother with qt? If not then you are playing a serious game that could cost you the lives of your other fish and discus. One of those fish could be a carrier of a disease that you are not aware about and can spread like wild fire to the rest and lose everything that is invested. I wish you the best of luck!!!! I hope they all stay healthy.
    Thanks. So how long do i keep the lights out for and until there comfortible? Thanks about how you like the fish and stuff
    keeper of the fresh

I usually will go up to 2-3 days without lights. I will only turn light on here (no more than 5min) and there to check to see if any new devolpments such as disease or whatever should start showing. I feed about 24hrs after I get them in the tank unless I'm really excited. Even when I do feed early I end up taking it back out. I keep the house quiet for the most part then they start to get used to me and the family being around.
    Wendy

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Matt..........you got the discus yesterday and they are already in the community tank with other fish.......omg
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

I usually will go up to 2-3 days without lights. I will only turn light on here (no more than 5min) and there to check to see if any new devolpments such as disease or whatever should start showing. I feed about 24hrs after I get them in the tank unless I'm really excited. Even when I do feed early I end up taking it back out. I keep the house quiet for the most part then they start to get used to me and the family being around.
    Ok thanks allot. One more thing when do i feed them? Do i feed them like once a day for 2-3 days, and with the light on or with out the light on? Thanks

P.S Oh one more thing as soon as i turned off the lights and left the room for a few seconds they started going everywhere in the tank and they did not hide when i steped in. It was nice to see that
    keeper of the fresh

You can leave the light off for them to feed. They will see the food with the room light that they are in. Since they are in a community tank I guess they will eat when they are ready. They will slowly start to come out of hiding as time goes by. They look like the are on the juvie side so you will want to feed muliple times a day with at least 15-20% wc a day so the water stays healthy and no build up of ammonia, and the discus will continue to grow you dont want to stunt them. You will need to clean your gravel!!!!! Remove decorations so you dont miss anything then put back in once you are done. Do a really good clean up every weekend and wipe all surfaces down. Its best also if you use aged water with juvies. This is what I do but others may do it differently. I'm not a expert but they can chime in if I am off base.

Oh went they start coming out of hiding while you are standing there is a good sign that they are getting more comfortable in the tank. Then you can put the light on.
    What size tank do you have them in?
    What are you feeding?
    Last edited by wendy9722; 05-14-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    Wendy

NO quarantine??..And this was the guy that said in a dozen threads that he read everything and was ready to 'follow along'???......
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    NO quarantine??..And this was the guy that said in a dozen threads that he read everything and was ready to 'follow along'???......
    Clearly he didn't tho he just asked if he only needed to feed juvies once a day. Best of luck hope it all turns out well for you matt. Wish you paid a little more attention to the big details that everyone told you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Jarret

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

AAAAAAKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!! straight into the tank with angels and others(probably from lfs)! GRAVEL! I see brown algae in there as well. the algae points to a problem with dirty gravel. if this dos'nt turn into a train wreck it will be a miracle!

leo
    Leo ross , aka "roundfishross"
    "revolution occurs when the victims cease to cooperate"

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jarret8x View Post
    Clearly he didn't tho he just asked if he only needed to feed juvies once a day. Best of luck hope it all turns out well for you matt. Wish you paid a little more attention to the big details that everyone told you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    No i was listing. I was asking if i only do once a day feedings because i was not sure if feeding them to much will help or not help with them getting comfortable. And they did not go straight in i did the drip method and everything. And i told you guys i was not going to do a QT tank. And there was not any brown algae in there it was just the ipod i was tanking the video on. And i did pay attention so please do start this again. Oh and wendy, i have them in a 75 gallon tank and i was feeding them frozen blood warms and i tried feeding them some of this discus food but they are not use to it yet.
    keeper of the fresh

Registered Member

I ment to say please do not start this again
    keeper of the fresh

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast