ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: HUGE PH DROP TO 6.0

Registered Member

Default HUGE PH DROP TO 6.0

Hi,

I accidentally may have put too much acid buffer into my tank. I think I need a new filter in my R system so when I did a water change by PH went up to 8.2 from 6.0. I put some acid buffer in and it's been an hour and it's still reading 6.0 fish seek ok just one is on the top like it want air. How long does it take to get an accurate reading????? should i just do another water change?

Default Re: HUGE PH DROP TO 6.0

explain again..

was the ph swing in your tank?

it was a 6.0.. then went up to 8.2..

so then you buffered back down to 6.0 but you want to do another WC to SWING the Ph again!?

i would say, you need to NOT swing anymore Ph anymore.. people have disus at ph from 6 to 8 plus!!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

ps.. the ph swing is the dangers of using chemical to mess with water..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

My PH was 8.2 so I did a water change and buffered it. Then all of a sudden down to 6.0. I did a 15% water change and added all tap so the PH can get higher. All the discus are hiding and won't eat and my snake skin is very dark in color. Will ph shock kill them? they are not lying on their sides or anything but water is still reading 6.0 .

I;m going to wait and hour and retest once the water circulates so I can get a proper reading. I want it to at least get to a 7

from what i understand.. PH Drops are BAD.. rise in Ph.. is ok.. thats all i know. i don't test ph.. i add str8 tap 50%.. early on i tested.. out of tap is 8.2 in tanks was 7.8..

why are you buffering your tank?
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Oh dear... When using RO, Always check the pH of the water BEFORE you put it in. That's generally the only way to know if your filter is still good. Also check the pH again when you get a reading that is far off the expected. If you use chemical testing kits, it's possible that something was in the vial that made the reading off. Regardless, if your fish have been suddenly changed from 6.0 to 8.2 water and back to 6.0, It would be likely for them to experience pH shock. They may make it through it fine, or may get ill after the fact due to the stress. You should watch them very carefully for the next couple of days. Don't do another change. Depending on the buffer you used, it should hold around 6 as it precipitates the carbonates and Mg in your water. If it shifts up some, it will be more slowly and the fish will adjust as it changes. If you aren't breeding them, you may want to consider just adjusting them (over days) to the higher pH and not messing with buffers.

Quote Originally Posted by goblin321 View Post
    My PH was 8.2 so I did a water change and buffered it. Then all of a sudden down to 6.0. I did a 15% water change and added all tap so the PH can get higher. All the discus are hiding and won't eat and my snake skin is very dark in color. Will ph shock kill them? they are not lying on their sides or anything but water is still reading 6.0 .

I;m going to wait and hour and retest once the water circulates so I can get a proper reading. I want it to at least get to a 7
    I did something similar to this a few years ago and it almost drove me out of the hobby after killing 7 beautiful fish. If it wasnt for simply, Al, Eddie, Dan and Chad specifically, I wouldnt be. I'll never again use acid buffers in any of my tanks. I have always had a high PH at my current residence and I do water changes with no altering. My fish have never seemed happier. In my opinion, change 50 - 75 and never touch another package of buffer again.
    - Dan

Registered Member

Agreed! I never like to use buffers I just didn't know the filter was bad on the RO. I just want to increase the water slowly and hopefully soon the reading will be okay. They seem to be swimming around a little more and the snakeskin is no longer dark. It's going on 10pm so I'm gonna turn their light out and hope they are all okay in the morning.. Tomorrow I will get a new filter for the RO and I will always check it now before adding water!! The German rams were all looking bad but now they are chasing each other so that's a good sign

I will follow up in the morning!!

Registered Member

This morning it's reading 6.5 and all the fish are fine. Everyone is eating except two but they look healthy and are swimming and chasing each other. Probably by this afternoon they will eat. I'm glad this big drop didn't kill any fish!! I learned my lesson and will always test water in the tank and the new water so this never happens again!!