ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RO to WC Barrow Plumbing

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Default Re: RO to WC Barrow Plumbing

the check valve is inside the 90 degree elbow on the output of the housing. the actual 90 looks the same only its different inside kinda like a valve stem. I tried retro fitting my old unit and finally had to call the filter guys to find out why the third asov would not work.....I gave that poor ebay guy a fit for selling me two bad shut offs. I felt kinda dumb when I found out why it was not working.

Pat fwiw now days I run a 110 gpd unit from purewaterclub it came with all the extras and was only about $100 delivered, recieved it very fast too! the same folks have a good deal on a 400gpd unit now it looks kinda tempting.

Leo
    Leo ross , aka "roundfishross"
    "revolution occurs when the victims cease to cooperate"

Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
    Now that I think about, I think the flow restrictor functions as a check valve right? I have one of these on my system:

Mine is the Ocean Reef +1 model seen here: http://thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm

if it came from those guys it has a check in it. they are the ones who told me about the check valve... they are awesome guys to deal with VERY VERY knowledgable!

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    the check valve is inside the 90 degree elbow on the output of the housing. the actual 90 looks the same only its different inside kinda like a valve stem. I tried retro fitting my old unit and finally had to call the filter guys to find out why the third asov would not work.....I gave that poor ebay guy a fit for selling me two bad shut offs. I felt kinda dumb when I found out why it was not working.

Pat fwiw now days I run a 110 gpd unit from purewaterclub it came with all the extras and was only about $100 delivered, recieved it very fast too! the same folks have a good deal on a 400gpd unit now it looks kinda tempting.

Leo
    Interesting, I would have never known! Thanks for the info
    - Jose

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. A few more parts then I was thinking but totally doable. I think I will be getting a belated mother's day gift. Now I have a little research to do.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post

Leo

Leo, which one did you get?

Pat, its been a while and his models change a bit from time to time but I'm runnuing a 110 gpd with a micron, two carbon blocks, one membrane, and two di resins. the unit came with everything(asov,flow restrictor, check valve) but a float valve wich I think ran me about $10 extra for the float. Now all that being said I think the di part of the unit could be done away with without loss of water quality(just no nesscesary). What you will need to consider is a booster it's not likely that your well pump is going to produce enough pressure to get the production you will be looking for, the pumps are EXPENSIVE! I have been warned not to skimp and get a cheap nock off booster pump because they just wont last very long.

oh forgot to say I purchased from pwc through ebay

this is the one I have .... I think
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Aqua-Reef-RO-DI-...item588cffa208

this one is really pimp!
    http://www.purewaterclub.com/
    sorry it wont link to the page. its on the on sale page, the 400gpd unit with dual outlets
    Last edited by roundfishross; 05-16-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Real Name
    Pat

Found it Leo, know what it requires for input water pressure? Also would need a TDS meter.

Pat,
    almost every ro filter I have ever seen works best at about 65psi and will hardly work at all if you go below 35psi. tds testers are cheap 20$ to the door on ebay.
    I like this one they are sturdy and accurate
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HM-Digital-TDS-M...item45f139e62d

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Leo, anyway to measure or guess at your water pressure.

usually an inexpensive guage out in the pump house. you can jack up the pressure switch on your pump to up but its hard on the pump,the house plumbing, and the power bill! you can also opt for the pressure guage on the ro unit itself.

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Thanks Leo, anyway to measure or guess at your water pressure.
    Pat - get yourself one of these at Lowes for about $10. Screws on the end of your garden hose or laundry hookup, tells you exactly what your psi is. My pressure is about 60psi, and about 50psi while the unit is producing water. I'd also recommend an inline pressure gauge on the unit, makes it easy to see at a glance what your pressure is. Even though I'm at 50-60psi, I'm considering adding a booster pump to bring my psi to 80-90psi. I've done lots of reading on the reef forums and everybody recommends a booster pump no matter what your pressure is. You'll produce RO water faster with less waste, and in the cold winter months, the increased pressure will make up for the loss in efficiency due to cold water (as they work best with tapwater that's 70-80 degrees).

- Jose

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Jose, I mentioned the water pressure to my hubby and he reminded me that we designed our system to hold about 60 psi. We upgraded the well pump when we built the house. However it could not hurt to check. My water is a constant temp winter or summer since it is pumped from 330 feet below ground at about 73 degrees (I think).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12