ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RO to WC Barrow Plumbing

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default RO to WC Barrow Plumbing

Anyone willing to share pictures of their plumbing from their RO unit to a WC barrow especially with an float valve. I have a place where I can hook into a water source with drain and a spot on the wall to mount the RO. I just need to understand better how to rig the WC barrow with a float valve. I do NOT want any floods.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

Default Re: RO to WC Barrow Plumbing

There are float valves made for the tubing size of the R/O unit I think 3/8 inch. I got mine from Discus Madness website when I was first starting with discus. He has good prices on equipment. It is cheap less than $20.00. I drilled a hole in the back of the tank, it has a flat side because it is a "rain barrel". I comes with a nut to fasten and the tubing just plugs in. It has a small amount of adjustment with a wing nut. Drill the hole near the top of your barrel.
    Bill

Pat,

You want to add more than just the float valve. You can use a kit like this? Too expensive compared to just getting the parts separately.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Kent_Mari...RORAFV-vi.html

or

ASOV - http://www.airwaterice.com/product/W...off-valve.html
    Float valve - http://www.airwaterice.com/product/F...oat-Valve.html

If your RO unit doesn't have an ASOV, you want to add one because simply adding a float valve to your storage barrel will stop filling but it won't shut off your water. All will be going to the waste line. You want full auto set up so that when the storage barrel is full, RO stop filtering water.

As for install the float valve, you can simply drill a hole near the top of something like a brute container and the valve is screw in. If you can wait until the weeken, I can send you a video of my setup.

Van

Here is a basic diagram of the ASOV and Float valve setup.

http://www.spectrapure.com/huds/ASO-SYS.pdf

When you get your RO unit, just talk to them about what you need so they will get you all the right parts. Most off the shelf RO until don't come with all the important stuff so make sure you get them at the same time.

1. Inline TDS Meter
    2. Pressure gauge
    3. Flush valve
    4. ASOV
    5. Float Valve

Van

The components Van has listed from airwaterice.com is the exact setup I have. I use the float shutoff and the waste water pressure shutoff valve. I don't use the RO/DI units anymore - just the three filters alone. I have several valves in line so I can switch to RO/DI when I want it (like dissolving metro). Drilled a small hole in the side of the storage barrel near the top and screwed it right in no problems with leaking or flooding. My wells are about 700 ft down so the water is very cold - takes 24 hours to heat 60 gallons to 85F with 300 watts.

Adam

Hey Pat - my RO unit has an auto-shut off valve, so all I had to do was add a regular float valve, very easy. I ran the tubing to the barrel, drilled a small hole and installed one of these Kerick float valves. They are great, and seem to be very durable. I ordered mine from Jehmco. Just drill a small hole and attach with the bulkhead nut. I then bought a brass fitting at Lowes to convert from the 1/2" NPT fitting to 1/4" tubing.

- Jose

Van I did not know that the unit kept running when the float valve shut off. I will have to watch that. I usually use all of my R/O every day so it is always filling and rarely gets full. Thanks for the info.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Discus View Post
    Van I did not know that the unit kept running when the float valve shut off. I will have to watch that. I usually use all of my R/O every day so it is always filling and rarely gets full. Thanks for the info.
    Bill
    Yeah, because if you don't have an auto-shut off valve and just a float valve, the float valve will stop flow to the barrel, but water will continue to flow out through the waste line. Since nothing is stopping the incoming water, it just finds its way out the waste line. That is where the auto shut off valve comes in.
    - Jose

It figures it can never be simple and inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Discus View Post
    Bill
    You may already have a ASOV with your RO unit. Look at the diagram I posted earlier.

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

just a side note if you add an asov and a float valve you will still need to add a check valve on the membrane housing or it still wont shut down wnen the float closes

Leo
    Leo ross , aka "roundfishross"
    "revolution occurs when the victims cease to cooperate"

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    just a side note if you add an asov and a float valve you will still need to add a check valve on the membrane housing or it still wont shut down wnen the float closes

Leo
    Good catch Leo. Not all RO until will come with a check valve.

Van

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post

Leo
    How so? When my barrel fills up, I get no water going out waste line. And I'm pretty sure I don't have a check valve on my system, just the ASOV and float valve...
    - Jose

Jose,

Which RO system do you have? You may have a check valve already. It's just a regular looking union or elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by vlam View Post
    Jose,

Which RO system do you have? You may have a check valve already. It's just a regular looking union or elbow.
    Now that I think about, I think the flow restrictor functions as a check valve right? I have one of these on my system:

Mine is the Ocean Reef +1 model seen here: http://thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm

- Jose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast