AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Filtration Options

Default Filtration Options

Okay I have officially gotten tried of my canister filter for many reasons and thinking of trying other filtration types. I currently have a Emperor 400 that I was thinking of trying on the 60 gal but not really sure if it would be enough or not what do you guys think is it enough or should I add a sponge filter as well? Or just go with two sponge filters by themselves? Or was also looking at some box filters does anyone even use them on discus tanks? Okay well those are the 3 options I was thinking about please let me know what sounds better.....for a 60 gal tank with 6 discus approx. 4 to 6 inches, I generally do w/c every other day of about 90% sometimes I do them daily depends how busy I am.
    Javier

Registered Member moon_knight1971's Avatar

Default Re: Filtration Options

the emperor 400 is good for discus tanks up to 90 imo. lots of room to add filter sponges. You can even add bio into the cartridges. I find them a little too noisy personally so I went with AquaClear on all my tanks instead but if the noise doesn't bother you then you're good already.

Joey!

Yeah they are very noisy I had it on the same 60 gal tank long ago when I had African Cichlids....I emailed Marineland and they sent me a new impeller and the housing where the impeller sits in still have not tried it since I got the parts.....I also didnt like that the spray bars would always get clogged.....hmmmmm.....
    Javier

Maybe you can keep it as a spare and get the AquaClear 110. Great hob and cheap

Joey!

Sump I had a 10g sump on my 57g and it was awesome. I hate hang-on and canister filters.
    - Jose

Quote Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
    Maybe you can keep it as a spare and get the AquaClear 110. Great hob and cheap

Joey!
    Yeah an AquaClear 110 does sound good but didnt want to spend too much more money if possible.
    Javier

Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
    Sump I had a 10g sump on my 57g and it was awesome. I hate hang-on and canister filters.
    How much did you spend to make it? You got the build instructions? How difficult is it to clean?
    Javier

AquaClears are rather expensive these days. You could buy them online for about 5 years for $39.99 for the 110, then they almost doubled in price overnight a couple or so years ago.
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by JL15219 View Post
    How much did you spend to make it? You got the build instructions? How difficult is it to clean?
    Here's a pic of it. A 10g glass tank goes for $10 anywhere. The pump is the only expensive part, my Quiet One 4000 goes for about $65. The rest is plumbing, which isn't too expensive. For the overflow, you can build a DIY PVC overflow which will also save a lot of money.

Sumps are much easier to clean and maintain compared to any other filter. I like using filter socks, when they get dirty, just toss them in the washer. With good mechanical filtration, I never have to touch my bio media.

- Jose

I got my AC110's for $49.99 each. Might want to check out the new Fusion Filters. They look promising and affordable

Joey!

Quote Originally Posted by jcardona1 View Post
    Here's a pic of it. A 10g glass tank goes for $10 anywhere. The pump is the only expensive part, my Quiet One 4000 goes for about $65. The rest is plumbing, which isn't too expensive. For the overflow, you can build a DIY PVC overflow which will also save a lot of money.

Sumps are much easier to clean and maintain compared to any other filter. I like using filter socks, when they get dirty, just toss them in the washer. With good mechanical filtration, I never have to touch my bio media.

Do you have to constantly be cleaning all the tubing like canister filters to avoid the "snow" affect?
    Javier

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    AquaClears are rather expensive these days. You could buy them online for about 5 years for $39.99 for the 110, then they almost doubled in price overnight a couple or so years ago.
    Should have bought one 5 years ago......
    Javier

Quote Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
    I got my AC110's for $49.99 each. Might want to check out the new Fusion Filters. They look promising and affordable

Joey!
    Where did you get yours? And what Fusion Filters never heard of them?
    Javier

Quote Originally Posted by JL15219 View Post
    Do you have to constantly be cleaning all the tubing like canister filters to avoid the "snow" affect?
    I don't. It has happened to me sometimes, but it doesn't bother me enough that I take apart the plumbing to clean it. It will all flow back down and get caught in the filter socks in a few hours anyway.
    - Jose

Yeah really didnt want the snow affect again hmmmm.....So no one uses the other two options sponge and/or box filters?
    Last edited by JL15219; 05-16-2011 at 09:13 PM.
    Javier

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast