AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Filtration Options

Default Re: Filtration Options

Quote Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
    just checked Amazon and you can get them there for $49.99 too.....
    I consider shipping when pricing at item on Amazon. The one being sold for ~$50 has a $10 shipping charge. So still about $60. For $2, I would rather have it sent by Amazon (via third party vendor, but stored in Amazon Warehouse). I probably order 100's of items from them a year and the only time I ever have a problem is when it's through their third-party vendors.

The sizing for the Hydros are pretty easy to understand.

From Hydro II-V, they have a height of 4" and a diameter of series + 3/4"... So a Hydro IV has a diamter of 4.75" and a Hydro V has a diamter of 5.75".

Whether that's 'big' or not is really up to you... But two 6" diamter sponges takes up a lot of realestate... a footprint/Area of 8.26pi sq-inches per sponge. I couldn't find a 60G dimension, but for a 55G, that's almost 10% of the bottom of the tank!
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post
    I consider shipping when pricing at item on Amazon. The one being sold for ~$50 has a $10 shipping charge. So still about $60. For $2, I would rather have it sent by Amazon (via third party vendor, but stored in Amazon Warehouse). I probably order 100's of items from them a year and the only time I ever have a problem is when it's through their third-party vendors.

The sizing for the Hydros are pretty easy to understand.

From Hydro II-V, they have a height of 4" and a diameter of series + 3/4"... So a Hydro IV has a diamter of 4.75" and a Hydro V has a diamter of 5.75".

Whether that's 'big' or not is really up to you... But two 6" diamter sponges takes up a lot of realestate... a footprint/Area of 8.26pi sq-inches per sponge. I couldn't find a 60G dimension, but for a 55G, that's almost 10% of the bottom of the tank!
    Wow! When you put it that way that is a lot of space taken up.....hmmm
    Javier

Registered Member moon_knight1971's Avatar

I took my Hydro out for that exact reason AND because food was always going under it and the fish could never reach it. Went with 2 "clip-on" style sponge filters that have suction cups so they can be out of the fishies way but still provide oxygen and beneficial bacteria.

Joey!

I took my Hydro out for that exact reason AND because food was always going under it and the fish could never reach it. Went with 2 "clip-on" style sponge filters that have suction cups so they can be out of the fishies way but still provide oxygen and beneficial bacteria.

Joey!
    So you have those 2 "Clip on" style sponges and an Aquaclear 110 on your tank?
    Javier

Something like this mgiht work... you can get it at Kenfish.com and a few other places. I bought a knock-off on eBay. Works okay I think... I ended up cannibalising it to make pre-filters for my AC110s though. I used to hide it behind decorations.
    Eric

Yup! 2 of the ones Eric posted the image of. One on the left and 1 on the right attached to a Fusion 700 air pump.

Joey!

Also remember if you haven't already you can sign up for amazon prime shipping and 2nd day shipping is free. Next day is only 3.99. I that also included Saturday delivery. Just a side note. I have been able to find most everything I can get this way. It may seem more expensive but during the free 30 day trial the first one is free next day. The item is sometimes a couple dollars more but free 2nd day delivery makes up for that.

Stephen
    Stephen
    NADA AUSTIN 2014 SOS Crew Texas

yeah but two of those wouldnt work for the main filtration right?
    Javier

Quote Originally Posted by JL15219 View Post
    yeah but two of those wouldnt work for the main filtration right?
    No they are there to supplement the main filteration that comes from a HOB or canister.

Joey!

No they are there to supplement the main filteration that comes from a HOB or canister.

Joey!
    Oh okay thats what I thought......
    Javier

So no one had tried the box filters?
    Javier

Something like this mgiht work... you can get it at Kenfish.com and a few other places. I bought a knock-off on eBay. Works okay I think... I ended up cannibalising it to make pre-filters for my AC110s though. I used to hide it behind decorations.
    LOL! Sounds like some of the stuff I do. Cannibalizing parts from one thing, for something else!
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by Cambik View Post
    Also remember if you haven't already you can sign up for amazon prime shipping and 2nd day shipping is free. Next day is only 3.99. I that also included Saturday delivery. Just a side note. I have been able to find most everything I can get this way. It may seem more expensive but during the free 30 day trial the first one is free next day. The item is sometimes a couple dollars more but free 2nd day delivery makes up for that.
    Yup, I used to pay for it but they give it to students for free! Another reason why I'm going to be a lifelong student :P

Quote Originally Posted by JL15219 View Post
    So no one had tried the box filters?
    I used to have one or two box filters. Someone else may be able to answer which is better, sponge or box filter. I know it's faster to clean a sponge filter though than to mess with the box filters. I think it's cheaper since you don't have to buy the box...

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    LOL! Sounds like some of the stuff I do. Cannibalizing parts from one thing, for something else!
    Yeah, I'm so cheap, I'm always trying to think of ways to buy one thing and use it for another. I bought some reusable filtration material for HVAC and I cut it up to use for my HOB filters. Not only does it cost like 1/100th that of the stuff the manufacturer sells but I think it works better! I actually noticed a significant difference between using it and the stuff the mfg sold.
    Eric

Yup, I used to pay for it but they give it to students for free! Another reason why I'm going to be a lifelong student :P

I used to have one or two box filters. Someone else may be able to answer which is better, sponge or box filter. I know it's faster to clean a sponge filter though than to mess with the box filters. I think it's cheaper since you don't have to buy the box...

Yeah, I'm so cheap, I'm always trying to think of ways to buy one thing and use it for another. I bought some reusable filtration material for HVAC and I cut it up to use for my HOB filters. Not only does it cost like 1/100th that of the stuff the manufacturer sells but I think it works better! I actually noticed a significant difference between using it and the stuff the mfg sold.
    Really do you remember how good it was in regards to biological and mechanical filtration?
    Javier

Someone mentioned box filters, I have made sponge filters out of box filters I had lying around, by filling the box full of sponge material. Works fine.
    Darrell

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast