ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: black stripes on discus

Default black stripes on discus

I get my discus about 3 weeks ago. Everything is going well. They are about 2.5” size. However, I have noticed that all of them have black/grey stripes or spots (see pictures). They are supposed to be pigeon blood, pigeon blood blue or Marboro red. Are those black stripes or spots normal? Will they disappear when discus grow? Thanks!s2.jpg

Default Re: black stripes on discus

probably not..
    but putting them in a very light background and very light substrate.. that will help minimize the peppering.. its also a genetic thing..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

That's sad. All of my 4 discus have more or less the same issue.

depending on the background the lighter it is.. it may hope to lighten it up.. maybe .. its all you can do
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Will the seller (with really good reputation) normally help with this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by htlv22003@yahoo.com View Post
    Will the seller (with really good reputation) normally help with this situation?
    you can't blame seller.. it is just a trait of the strain.. did you get to see the parents?! were they peppered..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

I have no idea about the parents. Just saw some beautiful pictures of the strain.

The spots are peppering. The stripes are stress bars. All discus have them however with some strains you can't see them.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member moon_knight1971's Avatar

Did you quarantine these guys? The stress bars will fade once they are used to their new environment and as long as you keep the water clean and fresh. +1 for surrounding the tank with light pastel colors to lessen the peppering...

Joey!

No QT. I had my UV on for a week when I introduced them to the tank. I will use a light background to hopefully lessen the peppering. However, I have blue/red gravels and many green plants, will that have negative impacts?
    How long it usually takes to get fish adapted to the new environment. I have them for about 3 weeks now.
    Maintenance: Feed FD blood worm and reef prime flakes twice daily. 50% WC twice a week.
    Water parameters: 82C. ph 7.2-7.6, NH3 and NO2- read 0. NO3- reads <5 ppm

Real Name
    Zach

No QT. I had my UV on for a week when I introduced them to the tank. I will use a light background to hopefully lessen the peppering. However, I have blue/red gravels and many green plants, will that have negative impacts?
    How long it usually takes to get fish adapted to the new environment. I have them for about 3 weeks now.
    Maintenance: Feed FD blood worm and reef prime flakes twice daily. 50% WC twice a week.
    Water parameters: 82C. ph 7.2-7.6, NH3 and NO2- read 0. NO3- reads <5 ppm
    Uhm 2.5" lfs fish in planted tank with gravel, 50% wc 2x weekly and only feeding 2x a day... hmmm
    Up the wc, feeding, and go bb

I have PBs with the same problem <shrug> BB tank with no background against a white wall...
    Eric

Registered Member moon_knight1971's Avatar

So no Qt and you immediately bombarded them with your uv light once you put them in the tank? That's pretty stressful for the fish but you say you've had them for 3 weeks now and the stress bars aren't lightening up. Normally you should QT the new fish and leave the lights off for 2 or 3 days so they can settle down. If they weren't that dark when you got them then it has to be something about your water. I'm with zchauvin and encourage trying to up your water changes and see if there is an improvment. I'd also suggest bumping up the temp to at least 84 if your plants can handle it.

Joey!

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

I get my discus about 3 weeks ago. Everything is going well. They are about 2.5” size. However, I have noticed that all of them have black/grey stripes or spots (see pictures). They are supposed to be pigeon blood, pigeon blood blue or Marboro red. Are those black stripes or spots normal? Will they disappear when discus grow? Thanks!s2.jpg
    They look healthy enough. The spots and stripes are typical of the pigeon blood strain. As others have said a light colored enviroment will lessen the black, as is typical of fish they will try and blend with the surroundings so light colors mean light colored discus. In saying that, i don't think they are very high quality discus. Good strains typically have most of that black removed by selective breeding like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dude you pigeon base that what you get, or you could change all background and bottom paint it white.
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin: