AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: my saltwater setup

Default my saltwater setup

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

change water once a month,really easy than keeping discus.
    65 gallon w 7 discus,1 albino pleco
    10 gallon qt tanK
    very happy to be back to discus
    www.arjunpun.com

Default Re: my saltwater setup

Quote Originally Posted by Arjunpun View Post
    change water once a month,really easy than keeping discus.
    I am with you 100%. I have a 36G and I do around 10% water changes every month. But I only have 4 small fish in the tank. Very low bio-load. :-)

Nice setup. Looks great. What size is it?
    Last edited by YSS; 05-24-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

I have a reef coral that has been running for 12 years and to this day... Discus are way on another level!!!!!! from care to breeding

SWEET looking good bro
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

Quote Originally Posted by hedut View Post
    SWEET looking good bro
    hendri u sud get one saltwater tank too
    10 gallon qt tanK
    www.arjunpun.com

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    I am with you 100%. I have a 36G and I do around 10% water changes every month. But I only have 4 small fish in the tank. Very low bio-load. :-)

Nice setup. Looks great. What size is it?
    its 65 gallon with 24 gallon fuge
    10 gallon qt tanK
    www.arjunpun.com

Quote Originally Posted by mkv View Post
    I have a reef coral that has been running for 12 years and to this day... Discus are way on another level!!!!!! from care to breeding
    i feel like once u have success with discus u can keep any fish.
    10 gallon qt tanK
    www.arjunpun.com

yup very true. I have a small 20 L coral tank with two mandarins only. Piece of cake to make sure they two finiky fishe eat and stay fat....change 10% water every three days (because I have to feed the mandarins manually so much food), but really nothing compare to the maintenance of the two 40 breeders full of discus. But the discus is still very special, and all the work just reinforces that fact. Sucker for punishment, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    yup very true. I have a small 20 L coral tank with two mandarins only. Piece of cake to make sure they two finiky fishe eat and stay fat....change 10% water every three days (because I have to feed the mandarins manually so much food), but really nothing compare to the maintenance of the two 40 breeders full of discus. But the discus is still very special, and all the work just reinforces that fact. Sucker for punishment, I guess.
    where did u get the fish from.are they tank bred.
    10 gallon qt tanK
    www.arjunpun.com

What do you feed your mandarins? I thought they only eat live pods in your tank and don't eat anything else. I've never had success keeping mandarins alive. I gave up after trying for a couple of years. May be I can try again. As a matter of fact, I couldn't even keep my clowns alive for more than a few months when I first started. But the currnet pair I have, they must be over 2 years old. So, may be a mandarin can live in my tank now. :-)

Yun-

- 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Registered Member

very nice saltwater tank

Ok guys...There is a place in Florida call ORA (Ocean Reef and Aquarium). Thye are in the salt water culturing business. They have in the past year able to tank breed first the spotted mandarin, then the more colorful blue/red mandarins. I bought one of their first spotted, and a few months later, one of the very very first tank bred blue mandarin. The going was tough in the past year for people like me who shelled out $60 for the spotted and a bit more for the blue.....they did not eat well after they were brought home. Mine ate the mix of cyclopeeze and Ova eggs pretty quickly, but my two fish are the exceptions. Some others had fish that starved to death.

Now, apparently, ORA is sending out older fish so the problem might be getting resolved. In any case, you need to spot feed these guys, at least twice a day, with no filter on for at least a good hour for them to slowly eat all the food. You cannot keep them in a tank with aggressive feeders because they will starve to death. Even as tank bred fish, they take dedication, but that's easy for us discus keepers. I laugh when some people complain that their tank bred ORA mandarin did not do well because they think they can just plop the fish into a reef tank and it will live on its own. Tank bred mandarins are still high maintenance, just be warned.

PS there are some ORA mandarins for sale in Skiptons just last week. Go check it out, but be warned of the work, and the feeding will pollute your beautiful tank and there may well be an algae problem. I keep mandarins, and I dont care about how priscine my reef tank is, and maybe that is why my two mandarins are doing so well. Good luck mike
    Last edited by mikel; 05-27-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Ok guys...There is a place in Florida call ORA (Ocean Reef and Aquarium). Thye are in the salt water culturing business. They have in the past year able to tank breed first the spotted mandarin, then the more colorful blue/red mandarins. I bought one of their first spotted, and a few months later, one of the very very first tank bred blue mandarin. The going was tough in the past year for people like me who shelled out $60 for the spotted and a bit more for the blue.....they did not eat well after they were brought home. Mine ate the mix of cyclopeeze and Ova eggs pretty quickly, but my two fish are the exceptions. Some others had fish that starved to death.

Now, apparently, ORA is sending out older fish so the problem might be getting resolved. In any case, you need to spot feed these guys, at least twice a day, with no filter on for at least a good hour for them to slowly eat all the food. You cannot keep them in a tank with aggressive feeders because they will starve to death. Even as tank bred fish, they take dedication, but that's easy for us discus keepers. I laugh when some people complain that their tank bred ORA mandarin did not do well because they think they can just plop the fish into a reef tank and it will live on its own. Tank bred mandarins are still high maintenance, just be warned.

PS there are some ORA mandarins for sale in Skiptons just last week. Go check it out, but be warned of the work, and the feeding will pollute your beautiful tank and there may well be an algae problem. I keep mandarins, and I dont care about how priscine my reef tank is, and maybe that is why my two mandarins are doing so well. Good luck mike
    Ok, thanks. Way too much work for me. I will just have to wait until I get a bigger SW tank to get a mandarin. As long as you have enough pods in your tank, I heard they do well. I have lots of liverock in my tank, but not sure if I have enough pods to keep a mandarin fed.

Yun-

- 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Registered Member

Nice setup!
    My name is ??. I work for SantaMonica.

I like it, I'll share some of my past setups reef and fish only when my post count hits pic sharing status!