ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Automated RO/TAP mixing idea

Lightbulb Automated RO/TAP mixing idea

Hi Guys,

I'm working on an automated solution for RO/TAP mix with ATO for my breeding tanks.

I like to share the idea with everyone here to help me evaluate the succeed rate of it.

I want to reduce pH levels and not losing essential trace elements and keeping maintenance levels sane.

Workflow:

1. Two type of filters - RO/DI/UV + HMA
    2. pumps to keep the pressure accurate (post filter)
    3. mixing valve to manually change the ratio between RO and TAP water.

When i started to compose the idea in my head I was concerned about several things:
    1. changes of water flow/pressure will affect mixture
    2. optimal RO/DI/UV system for discus fish
    3. high quality valves and fittings.

I'm thinking of purchasing DD HMA80C and SpectraPure UHE MAXCAP RODI system with UV addon.

I attached drawing of my idea, hopefully you guys can help me out settings this up !

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Default Re: Automated RO/TAP mixing idea

1.where would you be purchasing all the elements
    2. how many gallons are we looking at per day?

Quote Originally Posted by rubinsteinnyc View Post
    1.where would you be purchasing all the elements
    2. how many gallons are we looking at per day?
    1. Directly from the vendor.
    2. around 50g's

Tal.

Here is an alternative and more low-tech idea (sorta)... if you want a 50/50 ratio, then (for the sake of math) get two 25G container. Setup a sensor to detect when it's full.

When both 25G containers are full, dump it 100% into a 50G container. Viola, no need to worry about varying flow rates. Then when the 50G container is full, fill up the 25G again to let tap water age, and no dechlorinator or chlorine filter. So you can have up to 100G of reserve water at any time.

Three basic float switches won't cost too much ($10-20 each). Put one on each container...
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post
    Here is an alternative and more low-tech idea (sorta)... if you want a 50/50 ratio, then (for the sake of math) get two 25G container. Setup a sensor to detect when it's full.

When both 25G containers are full, dump it 100% into a 50G container. Viola, no need to worry about varying flow rates. Then when the 50G container is full, fill up the 25G again to let tap water age, and no dechlorinator or chlorine filter. So you can have up to 100G of reserve water at any time.

Three basic float switches won't cost too much ($10-20 each). Put one on each container...
    Great idea Eric,

Although 50/50 won't do the trick it's a great low-tech idea.
    Thanks!

Tal,
    I assume you are going to valve after the pumps and before the gauges if you use the set-up you have drawn.
    Regarding the drawing, are you sure a mixing valve will give you the ability to adjust water flow not to mention water flow based on pressure?
    Looks like too many pieces to not really achieve what you are setting out to achieve.
    Why not use a 60 or so gallon tank marked-off to 20% and fill the balance of the 80% with tap water.
    The tank would move closer to the fills and you would use one pump into the breeders.
    You can leave out two gauges, one pump and the mixing valve.
    Chris V.

Ceove,

I'm not sure that mixing valve will do the job, maybe if the pump has Variable frequency drive it will assure accuracy (that's why I need two pumps, for exact PSI from both filters).

I was trying to find liquid mixing unit that can mix on-the-fly liquids in specific ratio, but all units i found weren't fit for aquarium use.

Unfortunately, I don't have space for another tank so I must keep everything in minimum size as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tal View Post
    Great idea Eric,

Although 50/50 won't do the trick it's a great low-tech idea.
    Thanks!
    Glad I could help. I did have another idea.. what are you doing with the waste water? Assuming you have a 4:1 (waste:filter) ratio, if you mix 2G of waste water to every 2G of filtered water, you should get the equivalent to a 75/25 filtered/tap mix (assuming I did the mental math right).

So you save water, waste water doesn't need dechlorination, and since you have the equivalent of a "highly concentrated" tap mix, you can reduce the container size or keep the equivalent containers as the above example (i.e. two 25G containers ).

You can play with the ratios to get the desired ratios....

and instead of having a float switch on the waste water container, you can have an overflow to the drain (who cares at that point unless you have plans for the waste water). That will save you a little money on the float switch....
    Last edited by ericatdallas; 05-25-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    Eric

Tal,
    I read your drawing as having a tank; the piece right after the mixing valve and right before where you show the line feed to the aquarium.
    If that is the case, I was suggesting to use that same tank placed closer to the units and then a single pump feed from the tank to the aquarium.
    To simplify: RO is produced and sent to the storage tank filling it to a mark of 25% of the total amount you want. The rest is topped-off with tap water.
    As far as mixing at a set ratio, do you think you may be looking for a flow meter/sensor in lieu of a mixing valve?
    I appreciate you starting this thread as I am planning a storage system also, possibly with RO.
    Chris V.

If cost isn't an issue or if you have the controller already, I like using timers for all my automation. An aquacontroller will time events down to the minute, good enough to establish and change the ratio. Combined with small solenoids its a simple setup. I get solenoids with 1/8 npt for about $18 at Mcmaster Carr.
    With the controller you can do the entire w/c sequence fully automated.

Steve

Hi Chris,

Thank you .

I actually found proportional mixing valves in the market for reasonable price (~100$).

In general, this solution can save a lot of water waste and space. instead of getting tank full of water a water vessel in HP will work out the mixing.

Tal.

I'm planning to install pump with sponge pre-filter for automatic water changes and have it replace 10% a day. just put it behind a timer, 5 minutes a day should do it.

Short update,

I've found some pH controllers in the market that are capable of measuring water flow from two different source, together with static mixing tube i might be able to reach proper inline mixture of RODI and tap water.

Registered Member

Hello, I know this is an old thread. I came across it while searching for a similar mixing valve, something proportional. It's for my whole house, to mix my well water with my RO water. I'm just wondering if you had any tips or ideas on where i could look for something like this? i've searched google high and low and haven't come across anything that will work for residential plumbing. Thank You!