ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 'Con' Fish

Registered Member

Default 'Con' Fish

Hi All,

I just wanted to share a little information on my recent, non-scientific experiment with a breeding pair of Discus.

I have a nice pair of Discus comprising a male Leopard and a female Brilliant Blue, both around 2yrs old. They had spawned many times unsuccessfully before I purchased them, and eight times since I got them in January. I confirmed their viablility by placing mesh over their spawn, and used 1/2 dose of Malachite Green as a fungicide.

When the pair were left to their own devices, all the eggs would be eaten on the second night, whether there was a night light or not. Interestingly, this pair seemed to have no protective tendencies whatsoever, unlike I have experienced with other, successful pairs.

The tank they are in is 90cm long and contains about 120litres of water. I placed a small male Blue Turq (9.25cm SL) in the tank with the pair. This provoked the male Leopard, and to a lesser extent, the female, to chase him away from the breeding cone. Given the tank is quite long, the 'Con' fish was able to easily get away and put a potted plant between himself and the aggressor.

Unfortunately, the pair did not spawn on their usual 6-9 day schedule which had me concerned, thinking I had put them off by creating a major change in their lives. However, they finally spawned after 20 days, and now have approximately 40 wrigglers. Dad was very protective of the eggs, chasing the Blue Turq away, and even acting aggressively to me when I went to have a close look. This is in stark contrast to their previous behaviour.

This is the furtherest this pair have got without my direct intervention.

It may well just be coincidence that these fish are now appearing to be succeeding in their spawning, but if nothing else, it has developed a more protective attitude from the parents.

Essentially, the small male Blue Turq has 'conned' the pair into being more protective of their spawn.

BTW, when I saw the ova were eyed, I separated the pair from the Blue Turq using a plastic, opaque divider.

During this experiment, I monitored the siutation closely, to ensure the small male was not suffering too greatly, and was prepared to take him out should he appear to be harassed too much.
    Last edited by Fishplants; 05-30-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: 'Con' Fish

You results is the reason why I place my breeding tanks next to each other with no painted sides. I too, have pairs, if isolated with paper dividers, where they cannot see other fish...eggs/fry get eaten. I agree...can make a BIG difference. All the best with your new spawn...Bill

Registered Member

Thanks Bill.

Ive experienced the same thing Fishplants Thanks for sharing.
    Melissa

Just be yourself. The people who matter, won't mind.
    And the people who mind, won't matter.