AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STRESSING OVER THIS GUY

Default STRESSING OVER THIS GUY

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Purchased 3- 3.5 to 4" Blue Diamonds 2 weeks and put them in a 29g QT tank.
    The first couple of days they were acting skittish and hiding behind the filter and darting back and forth... I Thought they were just the reacting to the new enviroment! Then 3 days later lost 1 and then 4 days ago lost another 1

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

The first couple of days they held their color and didnt notice anything wrong... then one turned dark then a day later all 3 turned dark! from time to time they would lay sideways. I been keeping an eye out for poop but they wouldn't eat anything a threw at them BH, FBW, Flakes, pellet BBS.... and still haven't eaten

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

I tried a couple of 90% water change and they were the same... after the 5th day tried metro mixed with BH and cranked the heat up to 90 and nothing.... they wouldnt eat!!! Then i did a PP treatment at the end of the first week and the following day they perked up they were looking good... color came back and was swimming good, Then the next day is when I lost second one! Also tried some epsom salt just to see if that would make him poop... but nothing!

Tank/Water
    4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

tank is a 29g Bare bottom

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Bare bottom tank with a #5 sponge. The first week 30% to 40% daily with one 90% in between the second week I cut back to every other day 50%... just to see if there would be a change! all the water came from aged tap that was heated and airated for 24 to 48 hrs.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 84

- ph 7.6

- ammonia reading 0.

- nitrite reading 0.

- nitrate reading between 3. and 5.0

- municipal water: yes

Default Re: STRESSING OVER THIS GUY

This was after I lost the first one!

2 days ago last one standing! And I thought he was the weakest one...

where did you get them.. maybe it was bad stock..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

you should paint bottom so will make less stress specially new fish
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    where did you get them.. maybe it was bad stock..
    got them from a local distributor In Minneapolis, MN I Tried to make contact with purveyor but he has chosen to fall off the grid

Quote Originally Posted by hedut View Post
    you should paint bottom so will make less stress specially new fish
    If it helps! I have a spare painted arcrylic tank I can put them in! I am willing to try anything now!

There is a possibility that this fish has HITH!!! in observation I notice a bunch of pin size holes around the head between the mouth and the eyes! it is a little noticeable in the first Pic.

Im no expert but since nobody is around with any real advice i would say this is water related.

Check everything again.

Double dose your water with prime and give em a good waterchange.

Quit feeding them till they look good.

2 tbls salt per 10 gal

Just in case order some metro so you have it.

Were there any fish in that tank before or was the filter in another tank with other fish ?

If they were fine when you got em its got to be your water.

Or

They could just have gotten stressed and something they were carrying is getting the upper hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 cents.. use paper to cover three sides and the bottom, up the temperature to 86 F and water changes 40 - 50 % every day, add some salt. At this point, all your fish are weaken from stress or other unknown factor. Find ways to reduce the stress and get them to eat.. medication should be delayed at this point.. most likely will kill them faster

Quote Originally Posted by seanbuehrle View Post
    Im no expert but since nobody is around with any real advice i would say this is water related.
    Check everything again.
    Double dose your water with prime and give em a good waterchange.
    Quit feeding them till they look good.
    2 tbls salt per 10 gal
    Just in case order some metro so you have it.
    Were there any fish in that tank before or was the filter in another tank with other fish ?
    If they were fine when you got em its got to be your water.
    OrThey could just have gotten stressed and something they were carrying is getting the upper hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiation View Post
    2 cents.. use paper to cover three sides and the bottom, up the temperature to 86 F and water changes 40 - 50 % every day, add some salt. At this point, all your fish are weaken from stress or other unknown factor. Find ways to reduce the stress and get them to eat.. medication should be delayed at this point.. most likely will kill them faster
    I tried the metro treatment the first week with no response from these guys! I also been adding salt to every water change for the past week now...
    Prior to me putting the BD in tank, it was used for my red Turqs... And when got the BD's in I emptied the tank and filled with fresh water from the holding tank.
    I guess I am kind of stumped because the other 2 juvie tanks I have are housing 12 red turqes and the other has appx. 50 Altum Flora/snakeskins and I have no problems with those tanks!
    I was thinking it was water related as well after talking to a few people. I was thinking it was Chlorine! I actually found a few testers today and sampled the water from the tap, the ageing barrel and the tank and there were no chlorine in the water surprisingly! Well, The tap came out to .03 PPM and that was on a drop tester the strip tester was at 0 PPM!
    I just did a 90% water change last night and will probably start up the 40-50% W/C tomorrow
    Oh and all sides of the tank is covered except the front!

Registered Member

I am thinking also that it is bad stock. From the size of their eyes, they appear stunted. And they were bad when yo got them-- the hiding is natural initially, but the darting is not. Something was wrong with them when you got them... if I were you, I'd track down your supplier and have a firm but friendly discussion.
    1250 bb pot-planted: twelve discus (six my babies), cardinal tetras, sidthimunki loaches, angelfish. 35 gallon hex tank: hospital
    40gallon grow out tank: snakeskin juvies

I am glad to say that the little guy has eaten I dropped some pellets in the tank yesterday morning and before leaving for work the pellets were gone... Then when I got home I gave him some BH and 15 min later that was gone too His color seems to come on and off so I think we are getting back on the right track!
    Not sure if this has anything to do with it but, I did a 90% water change Monday night and turned off the timmer for the lights and it has been off since.
    Hopefully with some TLC I can get this healthy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fattubwhale View Post
    I am glad to say that the little guy has eaten I dropped some pellets in the tank yesterday morning and before leaving for work the pellets were gone... Then when I got home I gave him some BH and 15 min later that was gone too His color seems to come on and off so I think we are getting back on the right track!
    Not sure if this has anything to do with it but, I did a 90% water change Monday night and turned off the timmer for the lights and it has been off since.
    Hopefully with some TLC I can get this healthy!!!
    Yep thats good news!

Best of Luck getting them healthy!! I quit going to local people. I've had too many issues with getting from local stores. If I cant afford to get from people on here then I just dont get any.
    Wendy

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fattubwhale View Post
    got them from a local distributor In Minneapolis, MN I Tried to make contact with purveyor but he has chosen to fall off the grid
    2 years I have not one bad feedback, so I take this seriously... I luckily found this thread so I can defend my reputation as a seller. I do not appreciate you saying I have dodged you. I have a warehouse storefront you can come by and also I did talk to you on the phone. I also told you to take a look at the same tank with same fish to show you nothing was wrong with them. When sold to you fish were healthy and fed prior to you buying them, which is why you bought them. Your son picked them out because they had nice colors and shape (I even offered people at grand opening a great discount) they were nicely colored and no these were not stunted at all (these came for grand opening of the store) 2 weeks in. I have stocked as many as 600 Discus (I fully QT them, I do not take risks before I sell them). These come from quality stock and from the best breeders in Asia (no cheap stuff). I have over 650+ Customers in my data base: some as far as the Dakotas, wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, etc. that will and can vouch for me that I sell great stock and offer great customer service.

Also, my grand opening was early to mid May your posting is 6/6/11. They did not leave my store looking that way and they ate well. If those discus did look that way I doubt you would have bought the discus. I will later post pics of my storefront, stock, pairs, etc. to give simply members an idea how I take care of my stock.
    Last edited by betterhomeinnov; 09-01-2011 at 06:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast