AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water Drops!!

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Water Drops!!

Thanks both of you. I used food coloring this past session. Eventually I would like to try stuff with milk and food coloring and milk with coffee. Problem is I just don't want to waste milk!
    -Matt

Great work Matt! I've never had the patience to even try shooting water drops. After doing a few reverse-lens shots on some bugs, I decided that I'm too impatient for macro photography!
    - Jose

Bearutiful.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Wow Matt, that is freaking cool! I love the blood in the water. Every time I try to shoot quality pics, even with decent equipment, I fail. You're very talented. Well done.

Steve

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks all again. I was inspired by seeing other people's pictures on a photography forum I visit. I don't have any high speed high tech gear so I was hesitant about trying it out. Turns out its verrrrry simple and takes hardly any effort....or patience Jose! I used a styro box from a previous discus shipment, poked a hole in the top where I used a small leftover piece of airline tubing going through with one of those plastic air valves on the end with an adjustable knob. The other end of the tub went to a glass of water on top of the box, I started a siphon and it dripped down, and I could control the flow. Inside the styro box, which was on its side making a cave, was a dish of water. I used a long skinny dish, but anything will work. Filled it to where it was enough to catch the drops in the camera without getting the sides of the dish, but not to full to where it overflowed while drops went into it. From there you can change the background (simple construction paper) or use different color paper off to the side to bounce the flash off of inside the box.

Next time I setup I'll take a picture of the setup.
    -Matt

WOW Just beautiful, almost an erotic quality and feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Thanks all again. I was inspired by seeing other people's pictures on a photography forum I visit. I don't have any high speed high tech gear so I was hesitant about trying it out. Turns out its verrrrry simple and takes hardly any effort....or patience Jose! I used a styro box from a previous discus shipment, poked a hole in the top where I used a small leftover piece of airline tubing going through with one of those plastic air valves on the end with an adjustable knob. The other end of the tub went to a glass of water on top of the box, I started a siphon and it dripped down, and I could control the flow. Inside the styro box, which was on its side making a cave, was a dish of water. I used a long skinny dish, but anything will work. Filled it to where it was enough to catch the drops in the camera without getting the sides of the dish, but not to full to where it overflowed while drops went into it. From there you can change the background (simple construction paper) or use different color paper off to the side to bounce the flash off of inside the box.

Next time I setup I'll take a picture of the setup.
    Thanks for the tips! I'll have to give this a try, next time I'm in a patient-kinda mood
    - Jose

Fantastic photography, it's interesting that you could make such 'basic' water drop to an art! I miss your discus fish photos, haven't been lurking around very much until recently. How are your discus fish doing?
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

Great work dude. Simply beautiful

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks Kev, I'm down to just my wilds and 2 Alenquer crosses from Kenny now. Getting some Piwowarski from Dan here this week so I will definently have some photos soon. I'll be moving my wilds back to the 100gal biotype this week as well as they seem to be eating much better. I think it was a lack of O2 in the big tank making them sluggish so I've stepped that up and all seems well so we will see. I'll post an update in the 100gal thread so you can check them out....link in my sig.
    -Matt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12