ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wondering!! if "simplydiscus" ever had a

Default Re: Wondering!! if "simplydiscus" ever had a

Maybe embedding the chat into the main site would make it more attractive option. Kind of like this site does it.
    http://spacecoastreefclub.com/vBulletin/forum.php
    Michael
    Current tanks: 150g - Discus / Planted setting up...
    Old tanks: 180g - Discus / Planted, 180g - SPS Coral, 120g - Discus, 125g+120g SPS Coral, 125g Oscars

Real Name
    Matt

Personally I have no problems discussing non discus items in a chat room because I discuss discus on the board. I'm happy either way. Would be easier to moderate having it embedded like that because everyone can see it and report items in the chat. However, in a chat like that its going to limit people to instant fish help instead of posting on the boards. Having to go to a standalone chat, or another page for the chat, it seems to me just like a place to relax, talk fish if you want, but other things as well.
    -Matt

I like the idea. I personally like the idea of "rooms" dedicated to different themes just like the forum. If people wanted to pop into the "general" room and announce they needed help with a disease, then they could be directed to go to that room, and others would join them there. It could be possible to be in several rooms at one time.

I like the fact the forum is archived and that people ten years from now can look up things and people now can look up things from ten years ago. I've been able to learn alot from the past threads and some of that could be lost.

I think the problem with chat rooms that might discourage the regulars is that new people will constantly come and ask the same tired questions in real-time.

I do see the benefits though, but if it's to keep the regulars, it'll probably be more off-topic discussion. I mean, I love discus, but I don't know if I can talk about it all the time. It's more enjoyable to come on here and jump into discussions I want to and ignore questions I don't want to keep answering.

In theory it's a good idea though. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with the feature being available (other than Al who actually has to implement it). So I don't know what the point of this post is :P
    Eric

Real Name
    Ricardo

I'm not sure how the chat works currently , but you know what would be awesome? If a person could go and open a new thread as chat. So that when we hit the new post button that particular chat thread title shows up and then people who know about the subject can jump in and help. This way there aren't people just sitting in a chat room without a subject. For all I know it works like this already lol

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123