AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Over Hauling Tank Need Aquascape Advice (BG)

Registered Member

Default Over Hauling Tank Need Aquascape Advice (BG)

I have a display tank with about equal proportions of Pigeon based and Non-Pigeon based Discus. Currently the tank has an all black BG and is barely decorated with light PFS thin layer. I recently ordered some driftwood and am thinking about changing the BG color as well. I know the whole light -vs- dark debate, that being said what color or colors have worked out best to bring out color? I have seen watermelon, light blue, black, light green.. Any idea's with pics?

Also any tips on haning or mounting maz wood??

With my current set-up the pigeons are barely peppered so not sure if going lighter will make a huge difference. THe tank is the main attraction in my dining room, it has oak/light wood trim if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any suggestions..

Ive always used royal blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Over Hauling Tank Need Aquascape Advice (BG)

Color is up to the individual really. Anything light in color usually works best. Hanging wood is easy if you have braces on the tank top. Secure your manz wood to a hardwood strip with screws, and hang the strip across the braces. You will have to modify your glass tops however if you're using them. It's cheap and easy to get glass pieces at a glass shop however.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darrell

Registered Member

I wasn't sure my tops are pretty thick glass and I have a center support made of glass as well. Might just lean them from one corner, who knows. Thanks for replies debating about color switch, I know its easy to put back, just my BG is hard to get to due to tank position.

I know exactly what you mean. I have a couple of tanks with no background because they fell off after several years, and can't be put back on without tearing down the tank.
    Darrell

Registered Member

Yeah my tank is tucked in an owl cove in the dining room. THe tank is 24 inches deep and only 8 inches of it come out for viewing. This means I need to crawl under the stand etc and alter things. I kinda get uneasy laying under a tank of 180 gallons of water even though its never been an issue.

I have light white PFS, has anyone tried a light gray? I have some silver pigeons and think white will show too much of my dirty back wall of glass.

Been debating the following light gray, pastel watermelon, ocean green/blue, and even saw ballet slipper pink which look decent.

Keep the suggestions coming.