AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 230 Gallon In the Making Biotype

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default 230 Gallon In the Making Biotype

It's home. My new 230 acrylic tank which is my Mother's day, birthday, anniversary, christmas and anything else for the year of 2011 is finally here. It rode very nicely in the tank. Hubby elevated the stand and tank with three 2x6 boards above the wheel wells so we could use the full size for the bed.

Still in truck

Ready for cleaning/sanitizing.

Sump

Stand in dining room waiting for it's new placement in the family room. Darn stand is heavier then the tank.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 06-22-2011 at 08:40 PM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Default Under the covers.

Pictures taken before tank breakdown. I forget to take a picture of the overflow in action. Besides cleaning and some furniture rearrangement I need new bulkheads.

Bulkheads

Pump

Sump inlets.

Sump

Registered Member

Default Re: 230 Gallon In the Making Biotype

Pat looking good there. I 2 am thinking about moveing up to a 220-240 gal tank, but not sure i want a sump. Had them before just not sole. Seems like if you are feeding meat they get real nasty in a hurry. Have you any ideas on where its best to shop on a large tank, and your thoughts on the sump . Thanks so much Jerry

Real Name
    Robbie

Pat, Congrats on getting your baby home!!! I bet you were happier then a kid in the candy store.
    My Passion, My Pleasure, My Discus Robbie

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Jerry, this was a craigslist buy. I paid a bit more but the tank was very clean and the owner was proud of it and maintained it nice. Some of my other craiglist tanks required a lot more work to get them up to decent shape. Hubby and I rebuild/restained a stand and canopy last summer for my 100 gallon oceanic.

All I have is sumps. When I feed frozen foods including BH mix I thaw it in a small cup before feeding and release it gently in the water column for feeding. Yes, it does spread the BH out a bit more but gives all the fish a chance to eat. I generally do not have it end up in the sump.

Regarding pro/cons in a sump. Pro are more water volume, super oxygenated water and a place to hide all the goodies like a heater. DIY sumps can be cheap. Cons are they are noisy (some of the newer designs are more quieter), and one or more overflows in the tank and more opportunities for leaks (similar to a canister filter). I am sure there are more and bet more folks will chime in.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by geodehunter View Post
    Pat, Congrats on getting your baby home!!! I bet you were happier then a kid in the candy store.
    Yes Robbie, I'm tickled pink.

Whooo Hoooo!!!!! Sweeeet tank Pat!
    Melissa

Just be yourself. The people who matter, won't mind.
    And the people who mind, won't matter.

Good buy can't wait to see what you do with it
    My wife names my fish

Nice tank Pat. Since it's torn down already, you could convert that old fashioned trickle filter to a modern bio reactor really easy. just get some Kaldness media, and a saw.
    Darrell

Pretty sweet pat. I like trickle filters, the heater can go in there so not in tank. Ive never seen anyone put bioballs in the drip plate, thats a new one on me. As far as the sheet prefilter goes they are a breeze to clean, just grab the drip plate and head to the sink and spray with the hand sprayer, easy peasy. Another good thing about sumps is you can fill the sump and shoot the water right in the tank. Thats a nice tank, cant wait to see what you do with it.

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

I'm just a little envious, well a lot envious. Congrats Pat on the find. It should look awesome. Are you going wilds? I am dreaming up a little project like that as well. Will be looking forward to see what you do so I can steal some ideas.
    Bill
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusMama View Post
    Whooo Hoooo!!!!! Sweeeet tank Pat!
    Thanks Melissa, not as sweet as your with that 3D background and those beautiful wilds.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX10R View Post
    Good buy can't wait to see what you do with it
    Thanks Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    Nice tank Pat. Since it's torn down already, you could convert that old fashioned trickle filter to a modern bio reactor really easy. just get some Kaldness media, and a saw.
    Thanks Darrell, cut the top off. More like a 3 chamber sump used for reef tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by seanbuehrle View Post
    Pretty sweet pat. I like trickle filters, the heater can go in there so not in tank. Ive never seen anyone put bioballs in the drip plate, thats a new one on me. As far as the sheet prefilter goes they are a breeze to clean, just grab the drip plate and head to the sink and spray with the hand sprayer, easy peasy. Another good thing about sumps is you can fill the sump and shoot the water right in the tank. Thats a nice tank, cant wait to see what you do with it.

Congrats
    Thanks Sean, actually all I have is sumps. The blue is the tray is a filter pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Discus View Post
    I'm just a little envious, well a lot envious. Congrats Pat on the find. It should look awesome. Are you going wilds? I am dreaming up a little project like that as well. Will be looking forward to see what you do so I can steal some ideas.
    Bill
    Hey Bill, I saw your thread. This tank is exactly what you are looking for. Took me six months to find this and definitely worth the wait. Yes, I will be doing wilds. Either Alenquers or Tefes.

An easy way to make a fluidized bio reactor out of it, would be to remove the two chambers, and wedge 4" thick Poret foam across the sump from top to bottom, making a divider, and extra mechanical filtration in one. Put your Kaldness bio media in the divided area, add air stones, and replace the pre-filter. It may be useful to put Poret foam under this pre-filter to the water line in the reactor as well, to cut out the noise of running water. The water would drain from the tank through your drain hoses, enter the pre-filter, drain into the fluidized Kaldness bio media, leech through the Poret foam into the pump area of the sump, and be pumped back into the tank. It works great, I have my 240 set up this way, only my sump is an old 55 gal. aquarium. (Note: I eventually removed the pre-filter altogether from my setup, and just let the drains exit under water in the reactor to prevent the water noise. All mechanical filtration is done by the Poret divider. It's just much simpler, and the tank water is just as clear. That 4" thick foam traps everything, and can go a long time between cleanings. Amazing stuff. I clean the sump every few months anyway, so it's no big deal.)
    Darrell

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

That will be quite a tank Pat! Big as the old fashioned phone booth on it's side. Will look forward to following the tank set up, good luck with it all!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

I'm plus one one the fluidized bed idea...I've been running wet/dries for 25 years, and now I'm changing them over one at a time, as I can see the advantages already..P.S. I didn't know you had this one up your sleeve..have fun with it!
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast