AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Andrew Soh confirmed for Atlanta NADA 2012 Discus Show

Default Re: Andrew Soh confirmed for Atlanta NADA 2012 Discus Show

Truc,

It was an event in Singapore and not Malaysia. The course cost S$500 (Singapore dollars). Had participants from Philippines, South Africa, Malaysia, Indonesia and India.

I am sure they were sceptical before hand but I would say that I an indeed grateful that they believe in me and my delivery. They may be deceived you know and maybe they might have kept their fingers crossed (^_^)....ha! ha! ha!...before the course..but definitely not after the course is over...

If I were to tell you that everyone of them said, after the course, that "I can't believe that artificial raising of fry is that simple and don't require regular water-change and still surviving and growing....... and really worth every single cent I paid", would you believe me....knowing that now it is coming from my mouth and not theirs.

Hope someone who had attended the course would come forward to endorse my statement.....

Anyway, I really appreciate those who will be paying and attending my course during NADA (inclusion depending on the NADA team's decision). My salute for trusting that your fee will not be paid for nothing but something that will improve your discus quality.

Take care and thanks,
    Andrew
    [B]'Discus, Problems and Solutions'
    'Discus, The Naked Truth'
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1909364&id=751354834&comments=#/home.php?ref=home

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Soh View Post
    Anyway, I really appreciate those who will be paying and attending my course during NADA (inclusion depending on the NADA team's decision). My salute for trusting that your fee will not be paid for nothing but something that will improve your discus quality.
    Take care and thanks,
    Andrew
    Andrew,
    Looks like we are going to try to fit it in, just not sure where.
    Chad
    Proud Host of the best Discus show ever in North America because of the people who came!!
    NADA Show Convention Atlanta 2012
    Member of SouthEast Discus Enthusiasts
    North American Discus Association Board Member

I won't go to that one. Artificial is not my cup of tea. To me, the joy of breeding Discus is not in cranking them out. It is in seeing the parents care for their fry. Now, maybe if I had a truely to die for pair that I couldn't get enough fry from I might consider it. We mostly don't have that quality of fish here in the States. If we did, that method of rearing fry would be my last choice.

Other that that Andrew, I will hang on your every word.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I won't go to that one. Artificial is not my cup of tea. To me, the joy of breeding Discus is not in cranking them out. It is in seeing the parents care for their fry. Now, maybe if I had a truely to die for pair that I couldn't get enough fry from I might consider it. We mostly don't have that quality of fish here in the States. If we did, that method of rearing fry would be my last choice.

Other that that Andrew, I will hang on your every word.
    +1
    Scott

Registered Member

Count me in for the artificial class... I think the only way we will improve on the quality of the fish in the states is to be able to raise fish artificially and cull with more strict guidelines.
    Anthony

I've never artificially raised and don't know if I ever will but I would hate to pass on an opportunity to learn from a pro.

You are absolutely right, Anthony.

The main feature in my course is to create healthy offspring and grow them up to become diseease-free stocks for future popagatio. Hence once this point has been crossed over, the future generations be them F1 or F5...can be bred naturally through artificial or with parents nursing them.

Therefore, this is a checkpoint.....and keep the disease in check.

Whenever new imported variants come into you hatchery, create offspring of the highest health quality and the rest could be natural.

That's the message I'm trying to disseminate.

Take care,
    Andrew
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1909364&id=751354834&comments=#/home.php?ref=home

Registered Member

Andrew,

I sometime sell small fish to my local people. I often get the question: why Discus are expensive? My response was because they are hard breed, raise and maintance. Look like some of those worry will be gone if i can go to this class. I for sure will try my best to attend this one.

So how much would 500.00 Singapore translate to in US dollars? From your statements Andrew it would seem that the course would have much more than just how to raise fry. Ed
    "There was no spoon"

Ed, in USD, it would be 400 (Unfortunately, the USD is dropping like hell. But don't worry, I am not asking for that amount....ha! ha! ha! It should be much cheaper....

During the course in Singapore, it covers a broader scope.....which including other important areas of discus culture.

You are right, Ed. The course doesn't just cover Artificial Raising of Discus Fry though my method is the easiest method and requires less tending.

Would like to say that importance is placed on producing HEALTHY discus stock during the AR process. We also have to bear in mind that artificial raising of discus fry in itself will not and never guarantee disease-free production.

From the point after the artificial raising HEALTHY DISCUS, future stocks/production should NEVER encounter infections like discus plague, Black disease, flagellate infestation, costia, etc. In other words, no more parasitic infection/infestation as long as live frshwater aquatic feed is not introduced.

In worse scenario where such aquatic feed is introduced, then of course parasites are reintroduced into the culture. But bear in mind that the few discus epidemics like discus plague, two weeks syndrome and the four weeks syndrome (which are very common in discus culture worldwide) if not accidentally carried by the freshwater aquatic feed will never be present.

Do you know that discus plague and other bacterial infections have been killing millions of discus every year worldwide (Of course more in Asia) and many discus enterprises have collapsed or closed down due to these epidemics. So what is more natural and ethical? Learning a method to save lives or allowing natural course which may take away more lives?

That's all I can say and I think is worth it!

Regards,
    Andrew

I have always wondered if the artificial raising of fry can affect future generations.

Will they instinctivly know how to take care of their fry since they were never with a parent fish?

Could this be bred out of them in a few generations?

Has there been any discussion on this subject?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(^_^)...No, I don't think so.

I understand where you are coming from......just like what many were proven wrong when they initially believed that Jack's artificially raised discus will not secrete slime or look after their fry...

They were able to eventually when later filials put to task.

Andrew

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123