AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 2 Mean discus

Registered Member

Default 2 Mean discus

Hi guys my discus are doing good with eating and stuff but theres one problem. The problem has not got out of control as in the discus cant eat its just every couple minutes. So 1 of my blue diamonds and my tiger turquoise are being me to the other fish. It does seem to look like they are trying to breed or anything with any discus they just chase a discus for not reason. And the wired thing is that the blue diamond is one of the smallest ones in there. I dont know if discus are the same as african cichlids because i know african cichlids can be the smallest one in the tank and be the bad boy of the tank. So i just want to know the ways i can maybe solve this problem. Like if i mike the tank warmer with that make a difference? So post if you know how to maybe fix this. Thanks
    keeper of the fresh

Default Re: 2 Mean discus

how many do you actually have in there? and what size tank? minimum is like 5-6 to spread the aggression around and 55 gallon tank minimum if its just for community. . .lower can be used for grow outs
    -Kevin

40 Breeder Growout Tank-3 TRSG, 2 Red TQ, 2 Red SS

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hsunami View Post
    how many do you actually have in there? and what size tank? minimum is like 5-6 to spread the aggression around and 55 gallon tank minimum if its just for community. . .lower can be used for grow outs
    Its a 75 gallon tank. And theres 8 discus.
    keeper of the fresh

warmer water is going to make them more aggressive because they digest faster so they are going to be more hungry.

Well then i am stumped wait to see if anyone else can help you out there matt. My knowledge is very limited
    -Kevin

its discus trying to establish a new pecking order
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    its discus trying to establish a new pecking order
    Matt,

I'm going to have to agree with Skip on this without any additional information.
    I can't remember what size or approx. age of Discus you got from Mike...but it's possible the two may have paired off and are becoming aggressive for territory.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

lol and the other fish havn't figured out "this" spot is theirs yet. LOL
    -Kevin

Registered Member

Ok, well the thing is that there not guarding a spot there chasing them anywhere at any time. And what do you mean pecking order?
    keeper of the fresh

its an hierarchy for fish. Just like gangs and stuff, you have the top boss then the two "assistants". Then those assistants manage like people below him. And those people manage people below them. SO on and so forth till you get the last fish who is the "newbie"

Usually can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks to set up. Depending if you added or subtracted anything. If you remove 1 fish then they gotta re-set it up. etc etc If you add fish same thing

If you add decor same result too.
    -Kevin

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hsunami View Post
    its an hierarchy for fish. Just like gangs and stuff, you have the top boss then the two "assistants". Then those assistants manage like people below him. And those people manage people below them. SO on and so forth till you get the last fish who is the "newbie"

Usually can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks to set up. Depending if you added or subtracted anything. If you remove 1 fish then they gotta re-set it up. etc etc If you add fish same thing

If you add decor same result too.
    Ok thanks for the help.
    keeper of the fresh

Registered Member

Sometimes you can move around all your items deco in the tank to throw them off of guarding one place, but usually they will still have the same pecking order. This is a common problem especially if you get 1 bully that is larger then the rest. Give it time if the fish start to damage one another then make drastic action like removal etc. other then that just have patience.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish77 View Post
    Sometimes you can move around all your items deco in the tank to throw them off of guarding one place, but usually they will still have the same pecking order. This is a common problem especially if you get 1 bully that is larger then the rest. Give it time if the fish start to damage one another then make drastic action like removal etc. other then that just have patience.
    Ok thanks for the help
    keeper of the fresh