AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What my Rams have been doing...

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Default Re: What my Rams have been doing...

I like a 20 for breeding rams. I toss in a few dither fish to keep the rams from getting too shy and just let them have at it. A clean flat rock, a chunk of small driftwood and one plant in a pot and they're good to go.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    I like a 20 for breeding rams. I toss in a few dither fish to keep the rams from getting too shy and just let them have at it. A clean flat rock, a chunk of small driftwood and one plant in a pot and they're good to go.
    Have you even had a gbr die from fighting? The male that had been in the tank for some time died this morning and his lips were all beat up

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    -Zach

Yeah, simple, fierce little fish...I pulled another breeding pair out of that tank (there's three pairs and a few extra males) as they were edging closer and closer to the remaining fry..I tossed 'em in my other Heckel tank, so now there's danged breeding Rams everywhere!
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    Yeah, simple, fierce little fish...I pulled another breeding pair out of that tank (there's three pairs and a few extra males) as they were edging closer and closer to the remaining fry..I tossed 'em in my other Heckel tank, so now there's danged breeding Rams everywhere!
    Haha you are going to have lots to feed. Do they spawn and have success hatch rates in tap water? Idk what my gh is but I was told its low and my greens are loving it. Should I buy a tds meter and go from there or just sit and see what happens?

-Zach

If one is going to keep wild Discus, and any other soft water fishes, it's almost impossible for continued success without one, unless you have an uncanny 'feel' for the water quality.....

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    If one is going to keep wild Discus, and any other soft water fishes, it's almost impossible for continued success without one, unless you have an uncanny 'feel' for the water quality.....
    I understand, when we last tested pool water it was tds 90 ppm and I'm using same water so... Where can I find tds meter? Pool was done with test strips

-Zach

All the mail order distributors have one brand or another...They are reasonably priced..So, I go over at feeding time to the Mari Mari tank, and it looks like the Discus are headed for lunch at the Ram's corner when..over in the opposite corner, I see another pair of Rams with tiny'er fry!..Go figure, a Ram's nest at each end..Discus are beside themselves, dunno which way to run!.....

Hehehe, they sound like my discus. Between the constant cory eggs and the ram eggs they have caviar every day for lunch and they never can decide which corner to dine from first!
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Zach

Toni, how did you get your rams to start pairing up/producing ? Is there anything in particular??

I didn't do anything special at all. I started with a pair of rams, which turned out to be 2 males, then added a couple of females when the males got large enough to start bickering with each other. After that it took on a life of it's own!

They just do what randy fish do. Which is why I really need to get my breeding tank set up for them. No more caviar for my discus!

Maybe part of their huge growth and robust health (which is what I attribute to the monthly breeding) is because of the water quality, easy places to hide and feel safe and the beefheart, seafood and flakes they eat each day.
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Zach

Good deal. Do you guys know why my fish would be piping at the surface? One of my santarems was doing it now one of my rams are. Any ideas?

-Zach

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234