AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What my Rams have been doing...

Default Re: What my Rams have been doing...

I was just siphoning in my Mari Mari's, and there's a zillion baby Rams swimming at the bottom of a driftood log..several Card's were making runs through them, so I netted the Card's out..Dunno if they'll stand a chance with all the other Rams and the Heckel's....
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    I was just siphoning in my Mari Mari's, and there's a zillion baby Rams swimming at the bottom of a driftood log..several Card's were making runs through them, so I netted the Card's out..Dunno if they'll stand a chance with all the other Rams and the Heckel's....
    Keep updated, I picked up three very small maybe 1/2 rams from my lfs and added them with my one big guy. Two are really pale with a little color coming out and my big male has already picked out a female and they are guarding one corner with there life in two days!!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    -Zach

Here's a clip of them; they may not exsist by morning (a lot of male rams in there)....
    http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/v...=VIDEO0006.mp4
    Last edited by TURQ64; 07-16-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Real Name
    Zach

Here's a clip of them; they may not exsist by morning (a lot of male rams in there)....
    http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/v...=VIDEO0006.mp4
    Very nice but good lord those are small!!! I believe you said the tank they are in with heckels is a 90 right?? How many rams do you have and how many heckels? I'm at a loss for how many to put with my 7 discus in 75. I have four right now but if possible I'd like a few more

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    -Zach

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

They're much paler in color than the domestic raised GBR from what I've experienced. My 2 females were almost totally gray in color when I got them with just a slight bit of color on the head and the black spots on their sides.

As they grow they get very vibrant...VERY vibrant! My fertile wild GBR is actually more colorful than my domestic male GBR. Not as bright as my wild male though. He's the king of color. LOL
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

What a beautiful sight! I hope that they survive. If not, please net the pair out and put them in a breeding tank where their babies will prosper. To my eye you have a good looking pair. If you ship I would like to buy group 12. I want to breed these as well.

Rams grow fast (and die young). My fish room isn't finished yet, but I have tank space for a group of young grow outs. They need to be larger than dots, though
    Mama Bear

Actually, the tank dynamics are interesting..Six Heckel's, and about a dozen Rams....The Rams still run the tank, making me wanting to pull most of them after I build a new fishroom later this year, as they really keep the Heckel's from grazing..Liz, I'll put 'em in their own tank again (they were before) after I get done with my next bit of running to KY...(next week again)....they are actually really vibrant; I was shooting pretty much into the sun thru the parrot room....

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

That was cool Gary and they sure are small. I want some too but would you recommend not mixing with discus?
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

No, I think a smaller number are great with wilds, as eventually the Heckel's win and run them off the food cache's...but I think more like a couple pairs per tank...They never occur together in the wild.The Rams live in really hot, low ph pools.....

Oh my, I only JUST saw this post! I actually answered a question on here this afternoon and I promise you this post didn't show up back then. LOL

The baby rams are awesome..grats!! Mine have never managed to survive my community tank, they become tiny tasty snacks for every other fish in the tank including my cory's and my cards. I hope yours make it. The adults are really nice looking.
    Toni

120g - 10

how do you feed, raise baby rams?! will the hatch in tap water?
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Raise 'em the same as discus fry...tap water is fine for mine. I feed pulverized discus flake to them and they do just fine till they get big enough to eat other foods. I'd love to spoil them with brine shrimp, but haven't figured out where to put a hatchery yet that my cats can't get into it. LOL
    Toni

120g - 10

A lot of the little buggars made it through the night...A larger male Ram was munching a few just now, but I scared him off with a net..Fed 'em some green water I keep growing algae in for shrimplets.......We'll see what a new day brings...I may sink a pile of java moss by them later for cover.......

Java moss is good cover for them, as well as the driftwood piece where you found them. Mine don't survive because the parents just can't chase off that many greedy discus.
    Toni

120g - 10

Yeah, a Heckel swam over and sucked up a few out of the moss with impunity!....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast