ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 5 NEW DISCUS

Registered Member

Default 5 NEW DISCUS

I bought 5 discus about a mohth ago 3 seem to be growing well, 2 seem to be growing very slow if at all. Just wondering if this seems like a problem?

Registered Member

Default Re: 5 NEW DISCUS

Also not sure how to add pics.

May depend on what kind of stock you got & where you got them from.
    It's not unusual for a group of same offspring discus purchased from the same source at the same time to grow out at different rates - in fact it's quite common.
    If your params and water conditions are good and you're doing all the right things in an appropriately-sized tank, with clean conditions and proper feedings for their size, I wouldn't worry about it. Tell us more about the fish, their size, where you got them - the source, etc., and maybe some here can be of more help with your question.

Registered Member

In a group sure there is one or two will be slow grower. This is how natural work, in one species of group there can't be everyone is strong. The only thinning is how slow there are.

Registered Member

Having the same problem myself. I know how frustrating it can be.

yes.. small ones grow at different rates.. breeders will cull those as they grow out.. its a downside when you buy small discus at a cheap price.. buying larger fish will cut down on those issues.. its a thing you learn..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Anytime you buy a group of small fish you will have that problem. The stronger ones will fight harder for food and chase the weaker ones around in turn causing runts and a few smaller fish out of the group. Skip is right if you don't want that to happen you have to buy them at a larger size.
    My wife names my fish

newbies (i was guilty) think that if i buy 10 1" $5 discus.. they will all be 6" in 9 months... but you learn REALLY quick.. that is not true.. you will be luck to get 4 fast growers, 3 slow growers, 2 runts and 1 dies..

Can i get an AHEM!!
    Last edited by Skip; 07-08-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

I have never bought adult discus and I am not a newbie. There are distinct advantages to buying adults if you buy from reputable dealers. They are large and generally nicely colored. They are also going to be pretty healthy. However, they are somewhat expensive and, if a newbie makes a mistake (and they will...we all do at times), it can be an expensive learning opportunity. I think you learn a lot about discus by growing them out from 1" to 5-6" size. There are always runts and some fish are bullies. I have learned to alter my feeding strategy so that everyone gets fed. The runts will still be runts, but they will generally be healthy runts.

About a year ago I bought 18 1" discus. I lost one within the first month, but the rest have survived. I will have 8 that will be larger than 6" when fully grown. All but one of the rest will be at least 5". Only one of the 18 is what I would consider a runt. He gets bullied quite a bit and doesn't seem to be able to catch his food well (maybe poor eyesight), so he misses a lot of the time. But he is healthy and I take care to make sure he gets to eat a reasonable amount.

All people are different. Some people prefer to buy adult dogs. Then they don't have to go through the puppy stage of potty training, chewing on things, etc. On the other hand, some people love to have a puppy, because they are inquisitive, enthusiastic, cute, etc. I think newbies need to educate themselves about the plusses and minuses of buying small, inexpensive discus vs more expensive adult discus and make a decision based on that knowledge and the amount of effort (and frustration) they are willing to deal with.