AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mail order or in person?

Registered Member

Default Re: Mail order or in person?

you cant go wrong with the sponsers and there are a bunch of great breeders on this forum selling amazing fish. if you cant hand pick from those choices order from them.

Well. Never mind.

My wife returned from Portland with 4 new juvies from the LFS. 2BT & 2BlueSnakeskin.

LOL

Well pal looks like she took control of the situtation and got you off the fence. Ask her if you can post some pics now : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by JustinKScott View Post
    Well. Never mind.

My wife returned from Portland with 4 new juvies from the LFS. 2BT & 2BlueSnakeskin.
    LOL, or at least that's what they called them at the LFS. Good luck with the fish and the marriage.

Simple..Have her join the forum to ask questions about raising HER Discus!......Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

yes.. those are HER fish. LOL
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Im just razzin ya, hey at least she got you some fish. Looking forward to seeing them .

Well here they are! My new discus!

They are out of the bag! I'm extremely happy with their personality. None of them are hiding or shying away from me & already are eating bloodworms & prime reef!

I did decided not to qt them. I thought it was riskier based on the short notice & my qt tank is taking care of a sick angel.

My original turq immediately took to them. They are like one happy family!!!

More pix!

Looking do honest opinions of them & suggestions for helping them along.

They'll be primarily on prime reef flakes, beef heart. I'll get an auto feeder for the flakes 4x day. Hand feed the beef and BW.
    Tank params: Temp 82F, daily WC, 6.6ph

LOL

They are just happy as clams down there in those plants aint they?

Well thats cool, they look great and will be having a blast in thier new home.

Keep an eye on them because of the no qt and possible stress induced illness. Hopefully everything will turn out good.

Real Name
    Robbie

Looking good!!! Have fun enjoying your new discus.
    My Passion, My Pleasure, My Discus Robbie

Registered Member

In my opinion, purchase in-person is always benefit comparing with mail order if driving distance is still within one or two hours. you can save bundle in shipping cost and you get to pick your own fish. The sponsors pictures are always pretty and sometimes can be deceiving. From the same group of fish, there are variation in quality. you might not be the lucky one to receive the best one. During shipping from Asia to here, some discus are in stress, some are not. Some might die after couples of days or stop eating. If you buy it in-person, you can observe and make you best judgement. Sponsors are in business to make profit.

yeah I agree, sure they probably do sell high quality fish but it's just not the same as you seeing it in person and picking it out youself

Quote Originally Posted by MK48 View Post
    During shipping from Asia to here, some discus are in stress, some are not. Some might die after couples of days or stop eating. If you buy it in-person, you can observe and make you best judgement. Sponsors are in business to make profit.
    hmmm.. strong words.. have you experienced this issue..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Well of course the sponsors here are in business to make a profit...and so are the local fish store owners! The sad part, in my experience, is that most local fish store owners don't take proper care of the discus they receive and then mark up the prices to ridiculous amounts in order to make a profit.

We have a LFS an hour from where I live that sells discus. They advertise that they get fish from Discus Hans, even though they don't have any of his strains in their tanks. They sell 2.5" - 3" skinny discus for a $60 - $70 each!

For me it was a no brainer. I was not about to pay that kind of money for fish who looked like skinny footballs. So I researched the sponsors here on this forum and chose the one who had strains that I liked. I spent $50 - $60 each on 4" discus who are nicely shaped, fat and very healthy. It was totally worth it for me. I got personal attention, lots of help, answers to my questions and wonderful followup service from my sponsor. He's awesome!

So if you're one of the lucky ones and have a local fish store nearby with really good discus at reasonable prices, go for it! But don't knock the sponsors on these forums who work so hard to provide high quality fish at reasonable prices.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast