AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Archery anyone...

Heck yeah

I bowhunt whitetail and turkey here in iowa.
    I have been shooting a bow for 35 years, my first was a fred bear recurve.

Im pretty crazy into deer season. come september, you cant count on me for nothing cause, all im interested in is seeing deer.

I have 3 deerstands in my back yard to practice and am in them at least 1 time a week year round.
    Ive target shot but never really got the fever for it like hunting. I have a few bows now, my favorite for some reason is a low priced PSE stinger, its a great little bow. I plowed a 240 pound doe in november last year with it . The same morning i could have taken an enormous buck but i dont eat rutting bucks, they taste funky. Ive had all the expensive bows and wouldnt trade it for any of them.
    As far as kids go, i cant think of a better sport than archery. Its easy to get them interested in it.

Its a great and fun sport, have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Archery anyone...

More of a firearms guy myself, but I would love to own a bow. Much less restricting as to where it could be shot, quieter, and a lot of fun. I really like the old traditional style bows, kind of how I like my guns, not all modernized.
    -Matt

Hi Guys,
    Well I got my bow... I did alot of reading and research and know what I would like...but decided to take smaller steps and picked up a used Recurve Bow at Ebay....I went with a one piece Browning Normad Stalker. Its 45#, 52 AMO. I'm not a tall person, only 5'7" so I went with a smaller recurve.

I won the auction for about $80 which I think was a great price for this bow... I read alot of reviews by people that love theirs...so I guess its an oldie but a goodie..Its primary use right now is backyard target practice and learning. I went with 45# as in my state thats the minimum for hunting should I ever go that route.

It arrived today...String is a tad worn and needs to be replaced but its really in great shape...I took a few practice shots with it in the yard and I really like it. What surprised me is how short a draw I have on it...I was guessing it would be about 28".....but after a few measures looks like I am closer to 27" if I use my chin as an anchor point..I'm not 100% sure if thats real yet...It may be my form thats off on that.

One thing thats painfully obvious...I need a good shooting glove..I shot 3 fingers on the string....1above, 2 below . Any suggestions for a good glove?

Also I need a good string...Its an older bow, and I've read I should stick with strings for it made from B-50? whatever that is... From I can tell if my bow is 52 AMO then the string I need is 52- 4" so 48" which is about what the string measure when I measure it...any suggestions there?

Thank guys,
    heres the bow...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 07-05-2011 at 11:55 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Al, I know nothing about bows but yours is a work of art. Hope you get many years of enjoyment from your new bow and maybe some deer or whatever you hunt.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Al find a good shop/range in your area I'm sure they can help with the string. I use a three finger glove I got at a local sporting goods store. As for your draw I use the corner of my mouth as an anchor point , but that really does not matter as long as your consistent.My draw is 31" and I'm about 5'10" but I have long arms for my size.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Al, I know nothing about bows but yours is a work of art. Hope you get many years of enjoyment from your new bow and maybe some deer or whatever you hunt.
    Thanks Pat!
    Al find a good shop/range in your area I'm sure they can help with the string. I use a three finger glove I got at a local sporting goods store. As for your draw I use the corner of my mouth as an anchor point , but that really does not matter as long as your consistent.My draw is 31" and I'm about 5'10" but I have long arms for my size.
    Thanks kent, I'm looking for a good shop in my area....worst case I do have a cabelas nearby that I can go to, once I am a bit better learned ..I don't trust half the people that work at that store...so best go informed.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Great pics. Al as you know we are avid bow hunters. This last summer I bought my daughter a Mathew's reazen. I shot a Mathew's Drenlin which means her bow is now officially better than mine. A friend of mine gave my youngest daughter a small compound last year but I don't remember the name but she has struck fear in the hearts of every rabbit in Hunt county Texas...LOL.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Al don't get a glove get a finger tab. You will shoot better with a tab then you will with a glove.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Al don't get a glove get a finger tab. You will shoot better with a tab then you will with a glove.

-john
    Dang John, I just ordered a glove yesterday.....no worries though, I'll pick up a finger tab to try as well.Thanks...

Looks like I got the bug bad... I started carving my own long bow today,,,LOl... Its rough still..and green but I strung it up with some parachute cord as a test and it doesn't shoot half bad as is .,,,Its made of Iron wood and based on the draw of my recurve..I'm guessing its going to be close to 50-60 lbs when I am done and it has a proper bow string.

I located a new string for the recurve. that B-50 material is common...picked up a roll as well to string up this long bow .

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Great pics. Al as you know we are avid bow hunters. This last summer I bought my daughter a Mathew's reazen. I shot a Mathew's Drenlin which means her bow is now officially better than mine. A friend of mine gave my youngest daughter a small compound last year but I don't remember the name but she has struck fear in the hearts of every rabbit in Hunt county Texas...LOL.

-john
    Lol John, the kids always wind up with the better toys!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

-john
    Off topic a bit but John, got to see you encouraging your daughters to hunt. I have many happy memories hunting with my dad
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Al I will have to find it again but I know some good websites for building your own bows and I think I have a couple of articles on it also. If I can find them I will bring them to the ACA.

Thanks Pat. Here are a couple of pics of my middle daughter. The first was her first deer with a bow. I think she was 14. The second was a doe from last year. She had just turned 17. She had 6 does and 3 bucks within 20 yards of her. None of the bucks were older than 3 1/2 so she shot the largest doe.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

John,
    With her guarding the Fishroom while you are the ACA, I think your fish will be very safe.

Don't rush on the articles..I'm in this the long haul and I won't be at the ACA this year...can't make it.

Thanks !
    -al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I will say one thing from all the websites I have read...I wish Osage Orange grew locally here..its not that common in CT at all..but somewhere down the line I have got to make an Osage orange Bow or a pacific yew...The Bows I have seen are amazing!

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Well keep practicing and if you get good you can make me one....LOL. I sold my last recurve to D'Wyatt and have missed every day since....LOL.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast