AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need help eliminating buckets!

Registered Member

Default Re: Need help eliminating buckets!

dadecountyalan - I didn't read the entire thread but wanted to add my piece. I just picked up one of Jehmco's water changing system with 500+ GPH pump and it makes huge difference on the drain time. Only costs me like $60 incl. shipping. My faucet pressure is good so my tank refills quickly.

Real Name
    Rick

Pythons are a PITA, get yourself one of these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIMER-PORTAB...item4cfa41d451

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Pythons are a PITA, get yourself one of these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIMER-PORTAB...item4cfa41d451
    that thing looks like it will liquify a discus and its family and suck them right out the tank if you use that to pump the water out your tank...

That's pretty much exactly what I use - it works wonderfully. Fast - but gives me plenty of time to clean everything thoroughly.

Adam

Real Name
    Rick

that thing looks like it will liquify a discus and its family and suck them right out the tank if you use that to pump the water out your tank...
    Its only a 260 gallons an hour and works perfectly fine, I use it on tanks with fry as little as 1 week old....liquify discus.....good grief.

Real Name
    Zach

Hey guys I want to jump in with a question real quick... Let's say you have fish in tap, they form a pair and lay. Then you have a 29g for example as a breeder. Could you buy a small ro system for it? If so how long would it take to get 29g of ro water with say a 100gpd system ?? And what would be the rate of average systems, I believe I read its a 4:1 ratio? Thanks in advance
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    -Zach

Real Name
    Rick

That is a hard question to answer as it depends on certain variables such as how hard your water is at the tap, its temperature, and most importantly your water pressure. All systems typically produce significantly less that what they are rated at. This is due to the fact they are rated at an input water temperature higher than most people have available at the tap, and a higher input pressue as well. Your doing good if your 100 gpd system puts out an actual 80 gpd. With that in mind, it should take about 10 hours to produce 30 gallons of water.

A method that works great for me:

30 feet of garden hose connected to any pump used to drain a basement after a flood(the one I have takes less than ten minutes to drain half of my 90 gallon) and empties into a bathtub. Note that any substrate must be agitated in order to remove detritus. Once the water is removed, I then fill the tub with tap water and add conditioning agents. Remove the flow pump from the tank, place it in the tub, and flip the switch. This takes all of 25 minutes and almost zero use of physical energy. Most importantly, the fish love it.

Andrew
    Livin LIfe

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234