AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heat Treatment for Internal Parasite/Worm Issues

Registered Member

Default Re: Heat Treatment for Internal Parasite/Worm Issues

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    Was the teatment successful?
    YES it was... I had this one fish which was darting and kept running into the sides of the tank, not eating, getting really dark, to me he/she looked very sick and i thought it would die soon. I then placed all from that tank into a "QT" and began treating with metro, as the days went by, things looked worst as the others began showing the same symptoms so i increased the dosage to 500mg to 10g. After a week i felt like giving up then i saw this thread and told myself i should give it a try. Now the problem was to find a heater which would go to 96 deg, got a jebo 300w going up to 94deg. I knew getting my QT tank a 30g to 96deg will be hard to do. So i filled up to 20gal and began the heat treatment, within a day i cud see the fish calm down, the highest temp i was getting was 94deg. i then cut cardboard and placed on the 3 sides of the tank including the top, the front was open for viewing. By the morning the temp raised to 96deg....yea.. i went on with the treatment for 6days. And i can safely say now that all the fishes are very much healthier and eating like normal again.

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    Since the how to get more heat? question appears a lot, here's how I get there. I do use a controller. Heaters vary; a few old HOB's, a few Jager's dimed out, but more recently, a recycling project..I purchased 5 500w Finnex Titanium heaters with controller..The controller's all failed, so I chopped off the heating element, soldered the two red wires together that sent a signal to the unit(probe), and put a standard plug on the remaining black and white wires,,,These puppies will melt iron ore! (J/K)....Gary
    You are a very creative handyman, Gary. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lancer3 View Post
    YES it was... I had this one fish which was darting and kept running into the sides of the tank, not eating, getting really dark, to me he/she looked very sick and i thought it would die soon. I then placed all from that tank into a "QT" and began treating with metro, as the days went by, things looked worst as the others began showing the same symptoms so i increased the dosage to 500mg to 10g. After a week i felt like giving up then i saw this thread and told myself i should give it a try. Now the problem was to find a heater which would go to 96 deg, got a jebo 300w going up to 94deg. I knew getting my QT tank a 30g to 96deg will be hard to do. So i filled up to 20gal and began the heat treatment, within a day i cud see the fish calm down, the highest temp i was getting was 94deg. i then cut cardboard and placed on the 3 sides of the tank including the top, the front was open for viewing. By the morning the temp raised to 96deg....yea.. i went on with the treatment for 6days. And i can safely say now that all the fishes are very much healthier and eating like normal again.
    That's great to hear! Congrats!

Yun-

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Registered Member

DSCF1037.JPG

Hi
    I have 2 tanks 1 is 35 liters with small 3 discus 5cm. Other 200 liter tank for adult 6 discus. In my small tank 1 small one stop eating from 3 or 4 days. I can see he now turned little bite white and other 2 eating well. my water temperature 30 c, PH 7 and NH4 0. Do you think that heat treatment safe for them?

What should be the tank size for water treatment?

it says turned into 98 f slowly. that means withing a day or could you please explain me how it should turn up and turn down.

please help me.
    Last edited by sacgalle; 10-23-2011 at 03:52 AM.

I don't know how effective heat treatment is for small fish and how well they can take the heat. For heat treatment, the tank size would be same as other hospital tanks. I treated mine in a 20G only because that's what I have. Take about three days to raise the temp.

Yun-

- 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Registered Member

I'm afraid that until a suitable off the shelf heater is identified, this treatment will be hard to achieve for a typical hobbyist.

Actually, there are many off the shelf heater/heater rod and controller's out there that can make dinner boil!...Just not the average, advertised everywhere cheapo brands...

YO! YSS!!..maybe we should start selling high heat setups for hospital tanks.....
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

another success story here....had a thread on it, but too lazy to write up something long....

450gal, brought up to 95/97 for 5 days, then took 3 days to bring back down

fish have colored back up, and are eating again

lost 2 tetras in the process, but the other 58 have survived and everyone is happy again

yay for heat!

Registered Member

Actually, there are many off the shelf heater/heater rod and controller's out there that can make dinner boil!...Just not the average, advertised everywhere cheapo brands...

YO! YSS!!..maybe we should start selling high heat setups for hospital tanks.....
    If you could name a couple, I would appreciate it. If cost isn't too crazy, I might get one. I would think this would be less stressful on discus than most meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
    If you could name a couple, I would appreciate it. If cost isn't too crazy, I might get one. I would think this would be less stressful on discus than most meds.
    This controller goes to 104F:

http://www.kensfish.com/product3488.html

and you can use any heat tube like this

http://www.kensfish.com/product937.html

or you can get a real controller like a reef keeper would use and have no limits on temp besides the heater itself.

Registered Member

Thank you

I got a via 350W aqua titanium heater from David Rose and it goes up to ~95. That's what I used.

Yup, Gary. Let's get your rigged setup patented and start selling them. :-)

On a serious note, I am very glad that more folks have tried heat and are being successful treating sick discus. I am very thankful that Hans told me about this. I was desparate after trying all kinds of meds and heat was recommended by Hans. Hans definitely changed my discus world. :-)

Yun-

- 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Quote Originally Posted by thecoolguy View Post
    another success story here....had a thread on it, but too lazy to write up something long....

450gal, brought up to 95/97 for 5 days, then took 3 days to bring back down

fish have colored back up, and are eating again

lost 2 tetras in the process, but the other 58 have survived and everyone is happy again

yay for heat!
    Did you have any plants in that setup? If so did they melt?

If you are using a 10gal tank, you can experiment with a heating pad under the tank as well as a heater in the tank.
    Heating pads should easily go above 96 degrees and give even heat through the glass. Might consider some sort of water proof cover for it.

fenbendazole works well in food for worms........
    http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123