ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Grow-out Pics

Registered Member

Default Grow-out Pics

I am going to post four sets of pictures of 4 of my 17 discus that I have been growning out from about the 1" stage to now. They are all about 10-12 months old and in the 4"-6" size range. I will post a picture at the 1" size and a current picture for each discus. When you look at the pictures you can see why most people like to buy adults or at least fairly large juveniles, since at the 1" size, it is hard to guess what they would look like as adults. I like to grow out discus to see how the color, shape, and size develops and changes.

I purchased all of these from Sonny in Florence, KY. The first discus is a marlboro red. It is about 12 months old and is the largest of the four that I will show. It is about 5.5" SL. I don't know the sex as none have shown any indications of pairing at this point.

If I can figure out how to add other photos to this post, I'll post pictures of the other three discus.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dudley Eirich; 07-13-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Grow-out Pics

The next three discus was from a cross between a Red/white and (I believe) a marlboro red. It is a pretty clean-looking red melon and is about 4" SL.

Registered Member

The final two discus are red/whites and are siblings of the red melon. Notice that they only have a hint of red color at the 1" size. They are currently about 3.5" SL. One has a quite white base color and the other is somewhat grayish. I think the gray color will lighten a bit as it ages. Maybe. Maybe not. We'll see. Like I said, it is fun to watch them grow and change.

Great looking fish did you get any of Sonny's Tangerine discus juvies? I tried to buy some juvies from him once when I was in Lexington but I couldn't get a hold of him.
    My wife names my fish

Registered Member

No, I didn't get any of his tangerines. Sonny does sell some nice fish. I'm really happy with all of them. Good colors and good shapes. It is my understanding that he has stopped breeding fish due to an illness in his family. I saw an advertisement in Aquabid that he was selling off a lot of equipment. Too bad. A very nice man and talented with discus.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX10R View Post
    Great looking fish did you get any of Sonny's Tangerine discus juvies? I tried to buy some juvies from him once when I was in Lexington but I couldn't get a hold of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley Eirich View Post
    No, I didn't get any of his tangerines. Sonny does sell some nice fish. I'm really happy with all of them. Good colors and good shapes. It is my understanding that he has stopped breeding fish due to an illness in his family. I saw an advertisement in Aquabid that he was selling off a lot of equipment. Too bad. A very nice man and talented with discus.
    I hate to hear that I have talked to him numerous times on the phone and he was always so nice.
    My wife names my fish