ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: raising anemones vs raising discus

Registered Member

Default raising anemones vs raising discus

has anyone had experience in raising anemones and discus? are anemones really that difficult? if so how much more than discus?

I think it's harder tell you get a good one. You will need lots of light good water and water movement. Buy a healthy one to start with jest like discus. The 1st few months it will be hard it will move around your tank and might go somewhere you don't want it to be. Cover all water intakes so it does not get sucked up.

Default Re: raising anemones vs raising discus

Get rose bubble tips, put them under metal halides, plenty of water circulation and feed once a week...you will have more anemones than you can find homes for!

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Registered Member

I see, how do you compare it to raising discus? i have the lights and powerhead for it. i'm just looking for a good store that sells a healthy one

Where are you located?

It's pretty easy but why would you want to do it? For fun? Much easier than discus but very boring since you do nothing, just feed, maintain water quality, and wait...it's not a quick thing.

Rodrigo

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    Where are you located?

It's pretty easy but why would you want to do it? For fun? Much easier than discus but very boring since you do nothing, just feed, maintain water quality, and wait...it's not a quick thing.

Rodrigo
    Ditto!
    Kacey

I thank they are awesome when you have a clown that host in it. Nothing like watching the clown swim in it and feed it! Look online to see witch pair go together and buy 2 clowns and you won't be disappointed

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    Where are you located?

Rodrigo
    well i wanna get an anemone cuz i have two clowns and i just like watching it swim in it and stuff. oh and im located in the so cal, oc area. haha im guessing you probably don't know any stores that might have some good ones?

Sorry, don't know any stores there...I am sure someone else can chime in.

If you have two clowns I would find out what kind they are and then find out what they like to host, not all clowns host all anemones but some are very generally accepted; if this is your first anemone I would stick to my first tought of a rose bubble tip. They are very easy, adapt to a lot of different conditions and are beautiful! Make sure your pumps in the tank, as well as overflows, etc are properly screened to the anemone doesn't get sucked in and die poluting your tank, in most cases killing everything with them.

Rodrigo

Registered Member

thanks rodrigo! i have ocellaris clownfish and my first choice were actually the rose bta. thanks for the info!

I have an extra large rose anemone in my reef with 3 maroon clowns hosting it. When opened fully, it is over a foot in all directions. It is cool to watch the clowns play in and out of it. And when I do water changes, the female clown always attacks my hands when I get close. But, sadly, discus are just too awesome and watching them is much cooler.

Good luck with your decisions!
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius