AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: POTASSIUM PERMANGANATE

Default Re: POTASSIUM PERMANGANATE

Thanks, Ryan. I actually PPd all my fish this morning. Every thing is going fine in 4 tanks. On my 100 gallon, although I cleaned the media in the casister filter, dremoved the drift wood and my plant in a pot, did a good wipe down and a 50% WC, the water turned brown after 1 hour. I didn't get out enough of the organic stuff.

I figured I'd just do it again tomorrow until I read the article. I did a another 50% WC on the tank and redosed. All is still pinky purple and the fish show no signs of stress.
    Mama Bear

I did all my F1's yesterday also....immersion strength for around eight hours (according to Noga, 7.6mg per gal)...I take the sponges out and toss them into one of my sumps so I don't kill off the friendly's...It went great, and everyone's appetite doubled!...
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    i have lost 2 lfs rams.. i don't know why..
    Probably because LFS rams are crap. JMO. When I was breeding rams I got mine from Oddballfish. I won't ever buy one from a lfs. A lot of people will tell you rams are hard to keep. IMO that is because they bought them at a lfs. From a trusted breeder they aren't hard at all. Just a somewhat short lifespan. Someone in that big Texas club has to be breeding rams??? If I was still breeding them I would send you some but went discus only about 6 months ago.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
    Probably because LFS rams are crap. JMO. When I was breeding rams I got mine from Oddballfish. I won't ever buy one from a lfs. A lot of people will tell you rams are hard to keep. IMO that is because they bought them at a lfs. From a trusted breeder they aren't hard at all. Just a somewhat short lifespan. Someone in that big Texas club has to be breeding rams??? If I was still breeding them I would send you some but went discus only about 6 months ago.
    Although I would never buy rams from a LFS, I disagree with you, Larry. IMO if you take care of your rams the same as you take care of your Discus, they will be fine. But if you have both in a tank together and there's a problem in the tank, the rams will be the first to tell you. The Discus will appear still perfect and a Ram will die. I found this out when I put something in my tank that turned out to be releasing toxins. After a few weeks, one dead ram, another couple not looking well, Discus looking perfect.

I took the bad thing out and all was well. JMO of course.
    Mama Bear

well, right now.. my lfs rams and bristle nose are in their own tank.. i will probably order from Snookn21 or Joe Gargas this week

thanks liz..
    i like the fact i can use RAMS as "canary in a coal mine" for water quality!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Rummynose are also good indicators of water quality. Their noses go very pale when something isn't right with the environment. Although I changed my water regularly, I was lazy with the cannister filter, only rinsing out the media and not taking everything out and washing it out. Turns out I had 6 months of gunk a the bottom of the cannister. Once I cleaned it out, the rummynose and everything else in the tank were bright again.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Thanks, Ryan. I actually PPd all my fish this morning. Every thing is going fine in 4 tanks. On my 100 gallon, although I cleaned the media in the casister filter, dremoved the drift wood and my plant in a pot, did a good wipe down and a 50% WC, the water turned brown after 1 hour. I didn't get out enough of the organic stuff.

I figured I'd just do it again tomorrow until I read the article. I did a another 50% WC on the tank and redosed. All is still pinky purple and the fish show no signs of stress.
    liz.. did you PP as a precaution.. or as part of a regular maintenance?!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123